angryassdrummer
    Participant
    @angryassdrummer

hey everyone
    im Aarom, 36yo guy from Byron Bay/Brisbane australia.
    came on here for some advice.
    i waited till this xmas that just passed to get my first tattoo, as i knew i was so fickle i wanted to wait till i was “mature” lol
    anyway, day before xmas i got 2 tatts, one on each arm one saying in latin “nothing happens without reason” and the other saying ” he conquers who conquers himself”
    both to do with my inner struggle and with the major break up of my relationship.
    anyway, i caught the tattoo bug bad..which i knew i would. another reason i waited so long.

so here i am, i am wanting to get full sleeves on both arms. thought id check out here, see if you guys had any good advice for me.
    i always thought id get artwork done that i always loved, such as Dali, Giger, Bosch, Goya, Blake, Bacon etc
    but the last week or so ive been REALLY drawn to japanese dragons. no colour, more the greyish/black ( my current tatts are in old english and solid black i dont want the dragon that black but more i didnt want any colour)
    so if i get my upper arm done in a half sleeve of a japanese dragon, what is something i can get for the forearm that will blend in with it?
    ive been racking my brain trying to think.
    my idea is that the left arm will be more traditional tattoo designs like the dragon, the right arm more left field ie gigers Baphomet or Satan I, Kefka from FF6, catterpillar from Alice in wonderland stuff like that. again not wanting any colour, or very little.
    once i decide on the forearm to go below the dragon ill go and see my tattooist and get him to sketch it up. id rather organise the whole sleeve at once and see how it works together than bit by bit.

if it helps, not sure, but ideas and meanings im wanting ( purely for me, not for anyone else) are my struggles with confidence/depression but trying to gain the strength to push through it, how i feel isolated from the world/soceity but again, trying not to let that bring me down, ( the tarot card Hermit symbolizes this).. basically my struggles are internal but im trying to move forward. dont take any of the above in an “emo” way lol its just a lifelong battle with my inner demons ( archangel was another idea, not sure how that would go on a forearm though)

id like the dragon i choose to be a positive thing.. i dont want full sleeves or tatts at all to look cool or tough or any other crap like that. they are for me. i want to look at them ( as i do with my 2 current ones) and be reminded of the positive idea they have, especially when im struggling.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks
    Aaron

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

Welcome to the forum. Love your username!!

There is a lot of great traditional Japanese imagery that would flow well with a dragon. I know nothing about the meanings behind the images so I will leave that advice for someone who does. Good on ya for doing a little research before you jump in, but I also think that it would be a good idea to take your time and let the dragon idea “marinate” for a little while. If the idea only came to you a week ago, you may find that you lean back towards your original vision. Or you will become certain that it is the way that you want to go.

Either way, please make sure that you find a really good artist to do it for you.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Welcome.
    To bad you didn’t come here before you plugged up your arms with some silly script tattoos. Those are really going to make any sleeve work let alone a Japanese sleeve.
    Tattoos can also be for fun and don’t need to represent anything.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Welcome to the forum.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

Yep tattoos do not have to have a meaning it is artwork. You have a shit ton of great artists in Aus.

Take a look at my signature link below for top notch artists, thats the most important thing. Find a great artist you like and then design it together ๐Ÿ™‚

angryassdrummer
    Participant
    @angryassdrummer

@buttwheat 137602 wrote:

Welcome.
    To bad you didn’t come here before you plugged up your arms with some silly script tattoos. Those are really going to make any sleeve work let alone a Japanese sleeve.
    Tattoos can also be for fun and don’t need to represent anything.

what?
    you think if i came on this forum first, i would not of got the 2 tattoos that i have wanted forever, because you think they are silly? you are joking right?
    should i check with you first what is silly or not?
    its not going to affect my sleeve whatsoever, they are along the side of my forearm, in black and the designs i am interested in can easily going over them so it looks like its behind the writing.

as for finding a great artist, i am happy with mine so no need to look elsewhere. thanks though

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Wow angry is right just trying to help you get some awesome ink.
    Maybe you should post up some pics of these gems you have and a link to this tattooist that you are happy with.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

If I had a major breakup I would want to forget about it. I sure as shit wouldn’t want a permanent reminder on my body.

angryassdrummer
    Participant
    @angryassdrummer

the tattoos are about my lifelong struggle with depression not about the break up. the break up was the kick up the butt i needed to go out and finally get the tattoos
    their meaning can be in relation to anything bad that happens at the time in my life, that there is a positive side to everything
    and i wasnt angry, you posted that my tattoos were silly. you didnt think that came across rude at all?
    if im happy with them and they are what i wanted why would they be silly? they wont hinder a sleeve at all

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

Welcome to the forum. Please post pics.

angryassdrummer
    Participant
    @angryassdrummer

i cant work out how to add a photo without it being an url

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

@angryassdrummer 137622 wrote:

Sign up for a photo bucket account and copy the “IMG code” then paste it in a forum reply and it will embed the picture for us to see.
    Photo bucket is free also.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

@angryassdrummer 137622 wrote:

I believe this forum does not let new people post pics. You can upload them in your profile though or just post a link to them.

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

@angryassdrummer 137618 wrote:

and i wasnt angry, you posted that my tattoos were silly. you didnt think that came across rude at all?
    if im happy with them and they are what i wanted why would they be silly? they wont hinder a sleeve at all

I think the reference is to your username, not your post ๐Ÿ™‚

As for him calling your text silly being rude, perhaps. That really depends on your own personal attitude. Around here that’s simply called telling it like it is. Text can *usually* be replaced with an image that looks so much better, which is why you won’t find much love for text in general. As for the text not hindering your sleeve, we can agree to disagree with you on that.
    If you’re happy with them and they are what you wanted, they’re not silly at all.

One thing I’d like to point out to you, however. Aside from the fact that you felt slighted and got upset, which is all well and good, I sense a very dangerous attitude from you.

This is the attitude of “my tattoo and my tattooist can’t possibly be anything less than perfect”. Generally speaking, this is almost always 100% false, and we’ve had people come in here and leave again without realizing this. Most people in here can tell you first hand how they made their mistakes and got sub-par ink, but later learned and are now getting better ink.

So please, post your pics. Let us tell you what we think of your tattoos.
    Post a link to your tattooist, and let us tell you what we think of him/her.

Understand that this will mean some criticism. Read it and choose to act on it or ignore it. We just want you (and everybody) to have excellent tattoos ๐Ÿ™‚

As for the picture uploads, almost everything to do with that system is broken right now, so your best bet is to do as Jerry said. Pick a photo-uploading site like imageshack or something, and paste the Forum/BB links from your uploaded image, in any post.

angryassdrummer
    Participant
    @angryassdrummer

whether everyone on here or just you finds “text” tatts silly or not i could care less. i didnt get them to impress anyone i got them for myself

as for my dangerous attitude, i never said once my tattooist is better ( or worse) than any other. i said i am happy there. they have 3 or 4 tattooists that i have seen do numerous works, from big bright coloured ones, full sleeves, my brother got a full back piece there, etc
    i just said im happy. have checked out there work for almost 18 years now, thats all i was referring to. i have checked out about a dozen other shops and this is the one i keep getting drawn to.
    i

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.