dhurley40
    Participant
    @dhurley40

Hey guys

I have been reading a bunch of stuff on tattoo forums and this seems to be the best one to gain knowledge. I have posted on some other forums and I recognize some screen names from other boards.

I have a total of 4 tattoos.. really a mix bag. All are black and I am looking forward to adding some color to my body in September. I see some negative comments towards traditional Japanese images (many think they are the next tribal). I really dig the imagery and meaning behind them. I guess to each their own 🙂

I was wondering if any one had any reference websites about what different colors represent in traditional Japanese tattoos such as Dragons and Koi.
    I am hoping to get a half sleeves by the end of the year. The only issue is that I already have a tattoo on the inside of my left bicep (artwork from my favorite zombie artist) and I hope the tattoo artist will be able to still complete the design around this existing tattoo.

thanks in advance for putting up with me
    DH from NJ

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

Hello mate, welcome to the forums 🙂

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Welcome to the forum!

I like color! Japanese style tattoos are fine, but I want tattoos to be unique.

dhurley40
    Participant
    @dhurley40

I have my consultation on Monday, I am getting a custom tattoo by a great artist located in NJ. All I said to him is I want a traditional Japanese Dragon holding the pearl of wisdom in one claw and a skull in the other. Besides that all design is going to left up to him.
    I will let you guys know how it goes. I just hope it fits into my price range. I will find out Monday what the hourly cost will be 🙂
    I am thinking a total of 7-8 hours so prob 2-3 sittings 😎

We HEART LA
    Participant
    @we-heart-la

Welcome.

As long as you are happy with what you get. That is all that matters.

IMO do not go somewhere else if he is out of your price range. Just save a little more get the better work. Coming from first hand experience.

Keep us posted with what happens!

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@dhurley40 130737 wrote:

I have my consultation on Monday, I am getting a custom tattoo by a great artist located in NJ. All I said to him is I want a traditional Japanese Dragon holding the pearl of wisdom in one claw and a skull in the other. Besides that all design is going to left up to him.
    I will let you guys know how it goes. I just hope it fits into my price range. I will find out Monday what the hourly cost will be 🙂
    I am thinking a total of 7-8 hours so prob 2-3 sittings 😎

Who is the artist if you don’t mind me asking?

dhurley40
    Participant
    @dhurley40

Rich Cahill –what do you guys think of his work?
    I can not wait to work with him on this! 😀

http://www.richcahill.com/

Tecratt
    Participant
    @tecratt

His stuff looks pretty good to me.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@dhurley40 130745 wrote:

Rich Cahill Studio | RichCahill.com

I think his work looks very solid 🙂

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

Traditional Japanese going the way of dated tribal?? How? It has such history, tradition, beauty, culture, style … do I need to go on?

I don’t think anyone here is against Polynesian style tattoos if they are well executed. It is just the 1990’s tribal crap that is, well, crap.

So if you like Traditional Japanese then go for it (and if you like 90’s tribal then go for Traditional Japanese ;)).

msmercury
    Participant
    @msmercury

Hi and welcome to the forum! 🙂

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

@dhurley40 130745 wrote:

Rich Cahill Studio | RichCahill.com

Welcome his jap work looks ok but it is hard for me to believe the same guy turned out both these pieces.

89.jpg

p1011446_0.jpg

dhurley40
    Participant
    @dhurley40

thank you all for the warm welcomes!

What do you all think is a reasonable hourly rate? I have spoken with “tv” tattoo artist that are around $375-450 per hour and that seemed a little bit too high for my taste.
    Just trying to get an idea. I am thinking 7-8 total hours. I am not trying to be cheap I just want to make sure I have enough saved for this.

also what type of tip are we talking about? 10%-20%?
    Do I tip after each session or at the end of the total work?
    He runs his own single man shop so I am not sure if that is different then going to a place with multiple artists.
    I have read in the threads that people feel gifts are a better idea (which I will be looking into) but what amount of cold cold hard cash?

@buttwheat
    do you like his b&w portraits?

thanks again for all the help!

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

@dhurley40 130788 wrote:

What do you all think is a reasonable hourly rate? I have spoken with “tv” tattoo artist that are around $375-450 per hour and that seemed a little bit too high for my taste.
    Just trying to get an idea. I am thinking 7-8 total hours. I am not trying to be cheap I just want to make sure I have enough saved for this.

Hourly rate is a tough one. All tattooist work at different paces. I have payed about $400 an hour to Iker Ruiz but he is amazingly fast. My “TV” tattoo artist charged $150 an hour and was fast. I have seen some top notch artists that are painfully slow. So it is best just to come out and ask them what they think the whole thing is going to cost.

As for a tip tip what ever you think is fair you haven’t got it yet he may be a giant prick and answer his phone a bunch of times when he is tattooing you and do a crap job so then tip nothing. As for tipping cash you allready are paying him cash so give him an extra $100 if you think it was worth it.

@dhurley40 130788 wrote:

@buttwheat
    do you like his b&w portraits?

The Charlie Chaplin one is amazing. The football player is a huge pile of steaming dog shit, actually more of his work leans more toward the football player quality instead of the Charlie Chaplin one It makes me wonder if he actually did that one.

dhurley40
    Participant
    @dhurley40

I appreciate the help / input!
    Do you think his Japanese work leans more towards “steaming dog shit”..I rather not get that on my body lol
    Should I be looking at a different artist to do my Japanese tradition tattoo? We all know this is a life time decision and I want to get the best possible tattoo. I dig his work and I havnt found many other artist in my area that I feel capture the traditional Japanese dragon. If any one has suggestions of artist in the Eastern PA/NJ/NY area that would be great!
    I wanna stay out of NYC if possible since prices are inflated IMO

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.