reptile44
Participant
@reptile44

Hello. I’m 19 and just like tattoos in general. Don’t ever plan on being an artist though; its something I wouldn’t be very good at. So far I’ve had one tattoo and have one in progress right now (just got the outline done today). I’m a little worried about the outline I just had done today however as it looks somewhat cartoony when its not really what I intended. My artist said a few times that outlines always look cartoony and its not until the shading when a nice level of realism kicks in. Just wanted to ask if this sounds about right to you guys?

Its a dragon on my back surrounded by rocks but I’m just really worried about this turning out nice because its probably the biggest piece I’ll get (shoulders down to slightly above my ass). If its something you can’t really say anything about until you see it I could upload it on imageshack and send it through a pm or something.
Thanks guys ๐Ÿ˜€

ArniVidar
@arnividar

We need a good, clear, large-ish image to be able to answer that). Why don’t you upload a pic to your album?

What style/genre are you going for on your dragon then?

reptile44
Participant
@reptile44

Thanks for the quick reply! I uploaded a picture; sorry if its bad quality. Spent like 20 minutes in the bathroom trying to get a good pic of my back using the mirror. The main part I was worried about though was the head. My artist is hella chill and definitely seems like he knows what hes doing but its just one of those nagging worries in my head til I get a second opinion.

The extra lines that might look a little strange out of context are basically where the rocks for the cave will come in in a while and the tribal I already had will be etched into one of the rocks.
I’m trying to get kind of a scifi look and I want the dragon to kind of have a tired look (almost as if its just been awakened; me and my artist talked about how the eyes will look a little wrinkled/ strained look) but also to look fierce. The number one thing I want though is extreme detail to add alot of realism. Does it look like this is heading in the right direction?

EDIT: Also just want to add he did say that the outlines he does are very simple in that he likes to put in the least possible detail he can. The detail coming in later while he shades, kind of a go with the flow kind of thing.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Can’t see anything from that picture, really. It looks to be the worst tattoo in the history of tattooing.
Guess you’ll need to ask someone to take a proper picture for you ๐Ÿ™‚

reptile44
Participant
@reptile44

The worst tattoo in the history of tattooing because of a shitty pic right? I honestly think its great; just not 100% sure if preceding what I’m going for. I’m sorry about the horrible pic though. I’m the only one at home right now so can’t get anyone else to take a pic for me but I’ll try getting a new pic up tomorrow of it.
Sorry again

ArniVidar
@arnividar
reptile44;106302 wrote:
The worst tattoo in the history of tattooing because of a shitty pic right?

Obviously ๐Ÿ™‚

And stop apologizing already. There’s no rush here. Regardless of whether or not your tattoo is going in the right direction, you have a LONG time to do something about it :p

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

I think the artist has a point about most outlines looking cartoon’y until the color/shading is in

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

was the thick tribal part there an existing tattoo or is it meant to be part of the new one?
a better picture would be helpful, natural light and someone elses perspective would be good, im hoping that your artist is right and the shading and colour will really make this piece for you ๐Ÿ™‚ i assume you’re planning to go for colour? what kind of colour palette are you planning? x

reptile44
Participant
@reptile44

The tribal was there before. Planning to make it so its etched in a rock though (its supposed to be a cave the dragon is in). I’m not planning on getting too many colors though. The colors we have in mind are black, grey, and cobalt blue. Hoping to make the contrast in colors what will add the depth and realism.
The only things that seem a little cartoony to me right now are the head and the claws. The head just seems kinda roundish two dimensional like at this point. And with the claws its hard to explain why, just sort of does. I got another picture that hopefully is better as its alot closer in
from my album

I know a small part of the bottom of it is cutout but for the most part the heads whats on my mind. I just don’t want this to look like one of those guys in dragontales or puff the magic dragon or something lol.

EDIT: Tried using the insert image and putting the link in but it doesn’t seem to work. So I have the url above instead.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

For future reference, use the BB code below the image to post into a thread

The shading is what’s going to give the tattoo it’s 3D, so it looks like it’s at the stage it’s supposed to.

Who’s your artist?

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

doesnt look bad at all if you ask me, i’ll be interested to see it once you have some more detail and shading in it ๐Ÿ™‚ x

reptile44
Participant
@reptile44

Tom Earhart; guy from Minnesota

Thanks for the second opinions and stuff ๐Ÿ˜€ Glad I’m on the right track.

I’ll make sure to post up more on my album as this progresses

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.