Spiritual
Participant
@spiritual

Hello everyone!

I’m finally convinced to get tattoo(s)..

I’ve always believed that the body is a sacred temple which god created to perfection and that any modification to it is 100% uncalled for.

Well, my perception still has not changed at all! 😎

In fact, I’m planning to get my skin inked with my own custom work of art that reflects my spiritual/religious beliefs.

I’ve been through a lot of ups and downs during the past 5 years, mostly downs, and each time meditation, prayer, and reading were the anchor I held on to to overcome my problems.

I have a vague idea of what I want to get and I’m in the process of collecting samples in order to create my own tattoo in photoshop.

I’m most likely going to get the tattoo in NYC by Ferbruary 2012 as I’m over-seas right now.

Glad to be here!

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing your tattoo ideas! :):):)

Spiritual
Participant
@spiritual
msmercury;99370 wrote:
Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing your tattoo ideas! :):):)

Thanks!

I’m thinking of using a collection of images/writing that convey a collection of ideas, beliefs, and (at least in my head) tells the story of how the past few years, along with reading, and praying asserted my faith in a divine creator. Something that marks my devotion and spirituality. I can’t even find the words to describe it but I hope you get the idea :rolleyes:

Placement: covering my left deltoid, triceps, biceps, all the way down to my elbow.

Here are two ideas that I want expressed on my skin..
Idea1: I’m a Muslim, a Shii’a Muslim, influenced by buddhist meditation and Sufi mysticism. All of these combined literally saved my life, my mind from insanity, and continue to strengthen me and enlighten my mind and soul, and forever will.
Idea2: I’m fascinated by stars (ancient knowledge/mysticism) and I’m a Libra. I’m not sure yet how to incorporate that yet, but I will. 😎

Of course, I made a folder on my computer with an initial collection to be narrowed down later.

This is Ibn-Arabi, the godfather of Sufi mysticism and poetry. The artist depicted him as a female wrapped in his sufi poetic verses referring to his passion/anti-sexism in religion

If I get that among the artwork, I’ll have him dressed up like he is in this picture:
4rx2.jpg

This is also an artwork of Ibn-Arabi’s sufi poetry, I love the colors, brings out the original Andalus period of art.

fwgo.jpg

I’m also thinking of stuff like this.. Verses from the Quran in Arabic calligraphy.. The options are many..

This is also a piece of sufi art I’m considering.. The man flying represents how reaching the highest stage of devotion can turn a man into a God-like entity.
kb_Parkes_Michael-Sufi_Master.jpg

Finally, something reflecting the Buddhist teachings/meditation I learned.. Maybe have this piece or something like it covering my elbow??

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Welcome some of those ideas might make a good tattoo but please skip the aum tattoo it is way over done.

AshGUTZ
Participant
@ashgutz

I think it’s great you’ve decided to decorate your temple.
I’ve been blessed enough to already meet a client who also kept away from tattoos for a long amount of time and after learning I had undergone an apprenticeship he grew to respect the way I conduct myself and the passion I have for my art work so he hired me to do an original concept for his whole back.

From this experience I think I learned a few things as a new tattoo artist that may be helpful for you (I hope).

If you really want a tattoo you will get it done but even as determined as my rather tough friend is the pain is a very different type and the first time might make you feel unprepared.
Because of the symbols you’re wanting to get and where I think you’ll do just fine.
With symbols like this I always suggest a double verification with a site other than Wikipedia for meanings.

Good luck and I hope your new tattoo heals well, do plenty of research and be picky about your tattoo artist.

Spiritual
Participant
@spiritual
AshGUTZ;99442 wrote:
With symbols like this I always suggest a double verification with a site other than Wikipedia for meanings.

Thanks for the kind words!!

I’m really determined to get this tattoo done; actually, not just this, but I’m thinking of getting more in the future. The main tattoo I want to get is a sleeve for my upper arm, there are also other ideas I want to have done on other parts of my body.

No worries about the meanings as I’m a student of both Buddhism and Sufism, and I can read and speak Arabic just as good as English!

I’ve contacted two of the best tattoo parlors in NYC, both have given me the same quote (~$200 an hour) with around 10 sessions to have it finished.

This is the piece I’m thinking about, not exactly like it, but this is an imagination of how I want it to look.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated!!

14842d1319392353t-first-tattoo-need-advice-sleeve.jpg

14844d1319405204t-first-tattoo-need-advice-sicko.jpg

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

welcome and good luck with your tattoo

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.