starboardside75
Participant
@starboardside75

Just wanted to stop by and introduce myself to everyone, so….. hello!

I’ve been tattooing for a little over a year now, and I work at Screaming Crow Tattoo in Pittsburgh, PA. Before tattooing I was a graphic designer of 10+ years. Design and advertising burnt me out completely over the last few years, and I began to hate my work. Long story short, I apprenticed under a friend of mine who has been tattooing for 15 years. I have to honestly say that I feel like I found my calling career-wise and I never want to sit in another drab little cubicle staring at a computer screen for 14 hours a day EVER AGAIN.

I’ve been aquiring tattoos for about 13 years, and have been hanging around and working in shops on and off over the years too. My only regret is that I didn’t start tattooing sooner, but I believe there’s a reason for everything- maybe if I had been tattooing all this time I’d be burnt out on it instead of evil-ass advertising lol.

Anyway sorry for the introductory rant for my first post!

C-los.p
Participant
@c-los-p

Welcome!! You should really upload some of your work for us to see!

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Welcome to the forum dude!

Upload some of your work.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Welcome.

thumbnail.aspx?q=967469434789&id=6f24ec0bd9b1156c7afde33af5fa5844&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.bloodydecks.com%2fforums%2fattachments%2fcosta-rica-panama%2f121054d1231181462-coral-star-dec-26th-jan-1-thread_is_worthless.jpg

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury

Hey, welcome! Would love to see some of your work! :):):)

starboardside75
Participant
@starboardside75

Thanks everyone! I will post some work soon, this week has been super hectic c:

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
starboardside75;92178 wrote:
Thanks everyone! I will post some work soon, this week has been super hectic c:

Understandable dude. When making a thread it’s really hard to do a 30second upload. :p;) :rolleyes:

starboardside75
Participant
@starboardside75

THERE! I uploaded some stuff.

Sorry for the shoddy photos, all from the janky camera on my phone.

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van

Welcome. Thanks for posting pics. You won’t see anyone impressed with what you’ve got there, but I know I’ve got a lot worse. Not great, but not terrible.

starboardside75
Participant
@starboardside75

Yeah, no kidding. I’m still in my first year and thankful that I have the opportunity to even work on people. If there’s anything I AM looking for, it’s honest critiques from other artists and suggestions on what I can do to improve.

The one thing that I’ve always hated was when people just say “oh that’s awesome” or “that shit sucks dude!”
WELL gimme a reasone WHY it sucks or is awesome. Pick the work apart! I want to know what I can add, take away or improve. Hope that makes sense lol. Anyway thanks for checking out my work and I’ll post more as I go.

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van

lol Sorry, bro. I don’t get too detailed anymore ’cause most people just get pissed and take off and I feel like I’ve wasted my time. As for being a first year apprentice, that looks pretty good. Shaky lines, inexpert shading, of course, but you definitely have the potential to create some breathtaking work. I’m not a half bad artist, but when I started tattooing I couldn’t BELIEVE how much harder that shit is! Nobody can say you don’t have talent, and aside from rookie problems, I don’t see any reason why you can’t start creating quality skin art in a year or so. I’m sure the people you have tattooed are happy with their work, and that is most important for an artist. I know for me, if I relied on whether or not I was happy, I’d have put a gun in my mouth long ago.

Not to say I don’t have a couple pieces I’m proud of, but if you think everything you create is brilliant, you’re no artist. It’s my opinion that you have to be somewhat damaged to be an artist, and be willing to let the damage show through in your art. If I can allow myself to be that vulnerable, I think I could be groundbreaking. Putting my stuff up here and on my facebook page has helped me realize that I agree with most of the criticism I receive and that the world doesn’t end when others hate my stuff as much as I do. It pushes me to get better. If you can take the abuse you’ll get on this forum and learn and grow from it, You’ll be amazing, I’m sure. I’d love to see some stuff that isn’t tattoo related, just art you’ve created. Look at that, I’m a poet. 😀 Anyway, thanks again, and I hope I can get my apprenticeship soon and we can grow together.

starboardside75
Participant
@starboardside75

Hey man….. EXACTLY!!!!

I too agree that the actual execution of a tattoo is harder than it looks. As far as not pissing people off on here or anywhere for that matter, I feel it’s their loss. If someone. Can’t take the criticism and a little joke from something they posted on a forum, how do they expect to even survive in a shop? I just hate when people post something they’ve created and expect to be praised and treated like a star… that shit’s for the birds, and you definitely will not grow as an artist. All through art school (graphic design school for me anyways), during any of the critiques not ONE person would say anything bad or offer any suggestions. The only thing that that any one would say is “yeah, uh, I like it, it’s real nice” or “nice colors”, etc. etc. etc. When I got an actual design job, I’ve had art directors rip up a project and say it looks like a pile of shit, straight to my face lol.. It’s a shame that you tried to offer help, advice or some suggestions on here and people stomped off crying.

As far as posting other artwork, I don’t have much as I have just got back to doing artwork this year. I was a graphic designer for a little over 10 years, so pretty much everything I’ve done has been digital. I do have some pieces from a few years ago that were for some gallery shows. I’ll post some of that stuff later tonight when I get home. Btw man, thanks for the kinds words about having potential. I’ll have to check out your work… how low have you been tattooing?

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van

Oh, I wouldn’t say I have been tattooing. I’ve been scratching for a few months or so, my stuff doesn’t compare to yours. If things come together for me in the next week or so I should be getting my apprenticeship. I’m very jealous of all apprentices on here, lol! My time will come soon, I’m not giving up EVER! I like what you got so far, maybe sometime in the future we can meet at a show and swap a little ink. I’ll be keeping an eye on you, you do the same. Thanks!

kingrob92
@

welcome to the forum man i would love to see some of your work

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.