Linz
@

Hi All ~

I am a 36 year old female. I’ve always been interested in tattoos. Ever since I was a little girl, I remember being intrigued by tattoos.

My friends would say that I am not “the tattoo type.” I see tattoos on others, and around them if they ask if I like it, or would want one, I say no, I don’t get it why someone would get a tattoo. But you know what? Secretly, I LOVE it. I think that it’s awesome, and while I don’t know why I want a tattoo, I do! I want to experience what it is like to get one, to have one, and just be tattooed! I guess I just want people to think I am not the tattoo type, while keeping my secret to myself, that I do like them.

So, anyone here “not the tattoo type” yet have tattoos? Any thoughts at all that anybody cares to share, I’d love to hear. I am serious about this. I can’t see why I should not get a tattoo. I want to experience getting one, at least once.

Kytt
Participant
@kytt

Growing up, I was about the same as you. Extremely interested and intrigued by tattoos on other, but never really saw myself getting one, and when I got older, no one else saw me as someone that would want one, either. Well, I decided I really did want one at about the time I turned 18. I still had doubts, though, and wanted to respect the fact that my parents didn’t want me getting one.

However, I gave it two years’ worth of though, and got inked just this past Saturday! I absolutely LOVE my ink! And I’m definitely happy that I decided to get my tattoo.

Amok
Participant
@amok

I don’t think there is a “tattoo type”. Your friends don’t seem too open-minded. People from all walks of life get tattooed. Unfortunately, some people still judge you if they see your ink. If there are people who are not the tattoo type, its probably the people telling YOU you’re not the type 🙂

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van

I agree with Amok. When I read that I was like, “What exactly is the ‘tattoo type'”? I remember the first time I saw my sister’s tat I was astonished. I never imagined her getting inked. Now, everywhere I look everyone has tattoos. And the older we get, the more accepted it becomes. Having a tattoo is, at least at first, an exhilarating experience, and it gives you a sense of closeness to others who have them. Even if you only have one small one. So I say, find a good artist and do it! I would never tell anyone they shouldn’t get a tattoo. Just make sure it’s someone skilled and trustworthy.

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury

A lot of people were surprised, shocked and disgusted that I got a tattoo. Just because I’m a Catholic, they thought I automatically was against tattoos and that it would be unbecoming for me to have one, not to mention I was lectured ad nauseam about the “evils” (total nonsense) of it as well. I absolutely love my tattoo and will be getting more. It was hard for me to step out of that perception others have of me and stand up and say I’m doing it no matter what other people think. I was especially shy about telling certain family members, but I did it. It took a year to convince my husband to let me have it (my Freddie Mercury tattoo) and then months of research and finding the right artist in my area. I have no regrets, but some do look at me and treat me a little differently. Usually, people like the artistry of my tattoo, but there are a lot of people who tell me I’m just riduculous. On the occasion I do my running with shorts on, I really get some interesting stares as I go by.

So, my advice is, step out of the perception others have of you and go do what you want and enjoy it while you are able. I’m glad I did. I want to enjoy my life and do what makes me happy and so should you! Go for it!! Good luck!! 🙂

Aussie_Al
Participant
@aussie_al
Amok;89362 wrote:
I don’t think there is a “tattoo type”. Your friends don’t seem too open-minded. People from all walks of life get tattooed.

I totally agree with this ^^^

I am fully sleeved and when I used to walk into my old bank one of the staff there would always run up and show me her new work – she had 6 pieces all covered by clothing – looking at her you would say “no way does that girl have tattoos”

She was def not “the tattoo type” yet she loved tattoos and had 6 of them

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

I’m not the tattoo type either

DOJAGUY
Participant
@dojaguy

MY MOMS NOT THE tattoo type, thats why i started getting work done around 15 years old

SolRx
Participant
@solrx

People are always surprised if they see my tattoo or if it comes up in conversation that I have one. I always get the “you have a tat? I never pictured you getting one” reactions … but yet I have over 60 hours of work completed. All covered except for a little bit that shows on the back of my neck if I wear a tshirt.
If you like them and are intrigued by them, I say go for it. There are many places you can have the piece done and its not visible to anyone but yourself

Bope
Participant
@bope

Is there a “type”? I seen judges/cops- prison inmates all getting ink…

maniacthw
Participant
@maniacthw

I wasn’t the tattoo type either. Then again, every, and I mean that… Everyone, judges me for something different everyday… A tattoo is the least of my worries. So, I got a second for good measure ;).

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury
maniacthw;90278 wrote:
I wasn’t the tattoo type either. Then again, every, and I mean that… Everyone, judges me for something different everyday… A tattoo is the least of my worries. So, I got a second for good measure ;).

I think I know exactly what you mean! It is something different everyday!! I’m going to be getting my second tattoo shortly, I hope by September!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.