fineartforbodies
Participant
@fineartforbodies

I am a professional tattoo artist living and working in Phoenix Arizona.

I have tattooed for about 7 years, beginning with a self-taught, continuing with an awesome apprenticeship,
and rounding out the edges with several guest spots. and I am STILL learning.

I currently own my own shop and have worked at several of the bigger shops in the area.

Again: I am self taught, and DID tattoo from home, professionally for some time.
With that being said;
I just read up on the “this is not an instructional site debate” (leave it to my noob ass to pop up and comment on a 2-year old post… lol)
My two Cents:

We are an industry, we need to support our professionals.
The question is not about if you are passionate, dedicated, or PROFICIENT at what is a very deep and robust craft, but if you are a PROFESSIONAL at it.

If we examine the other professions, we do not find people who are “good at” setting bones becoming doctors or calling themselves such.
People who know a lot about legalities do not call themselves lawyers.

The professionals in these and other industires maintain their professionalism by first becoming Educated in their craft, then often completing an internship and/or apprenticeship, then becoming licensed * (or the equivalent) and THEN continuing to pursue continuing education by researching, reading publications, periodicals, and
Though many so-called professionals suck at tattooing; please do not insult this profession by saying that because you do “good tattoos” you are doing tattoos at a professional level.

Tattooing is a craft, a science, and PROFESSION, as well as being an art.

PART II:
The 2nd cent: Iimportant part.

The full time dedicated individuals are losing key business to part-timers, soccer moms(no offense) and other non-professionals
I am going to use strong language here at the risk of sounding like a jerk, but consider this:

Observing our recent healthcare depate brings a valuable lesson:
If professionals are dissatisfied with the industry, or have quit because we dont make enough money to justify the 40-60 hours a week that we spend at our studios, the research, craftwork and advancement tht we put into the industry, where will the craft go?

If you really love tattooing, support it.
Dedicate yourself to it, learn to do it full time, DO it full time, or stay out the game.
Just my two sense.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.