Poesy
Participant
@poesy

Hey!

I’m Poesy, 21, working on getting my first tattoo. I’m an english lit undergrad (about to graduate) and so that’s incorporated into the tattoo. Not really the sort of person anyone would ‘expect’ to get a tattoo, but hey, screw stereotypes from both sides of the debate right?

Doing lots of research and everyone seems helpful so I thought I’d join and get some questions answered. I so desperately want it to go right and be something I can always be proud of.

One quick question:

I want ONE tattoo. This is the agreement with the boyfriend (he’s not controlling or anything, he’s caring. I’m recovering from depression and he knows I got my piercing when I was in a bad way – he doesnt want tattoos to become some kind of self harming fix) , and I know, at the moment, having not gone under the needle, that I want one and one alone. How difficult is it to stick to that? I’m getting the impression everyone gets addicted?!

Thanks guys, looking forward to getting to know you

Poesy

Jubakuba
Participant
@jubakuba

Welcome to the forums!
And congratulations on your upcoming graduation.

It isn’t so much that you get “addicted,” but rather…introduced to the art.
You lose your initial fear and you begin to realize how amazing the art can really be.

If you really really only want one tattoo, you’ll be fine with just one.

ArniVidar
@arnividar
Poesy;67455 wrote:
I want ONE tattoo. This is the agreement with the boyfriend (he’s not controlling or anything, he’s caring. I’m recovering from depression and he knows I got my piercing when I was in a bad way – he doesnt want tattoos to become some kind of self harming fix) , and I know, at the moment, having not gone under the needle, that I want one and one alone. How difficult is it to stick to that? I’m getting the impression everyone gets addicted?!

Well Poesy, tattoos are a pretty lousy fix for pain-for-pain needs. You can’t do it to yourself, you can’t do it at the point you most need/want to cut yourself, and need to pay a crapload of cash to have it done to you. So in my opinion it can’t really be a ‘self-harming fix’. That being said, getting tattooed releases a load of endorphins into your bloodstream which causes well-being and for many people this is highly addictive. So on that front, you may find you like it and need to have more of it done to you.

Personally, I don’t get the endorphin rush, or at least maybe my body does it but it does not effect me in any positive way. I don’t feel any pleasure during or after getting inked… it’s all pain. It’s really all about the outward expression of my inner self in an area I can express myself, to replace all the areas I can’t (physically talking to people for instance scares the crap out of me and any form of extroversion is completely alien to me). For me there is no physical addictiveness to getting inked, but mentally I have SO many ideas of things I want to decorate my body with, that I have a long life of ink ahead of me. I’m a tattoo addict, but I think it’s one of the better addictions available.

Aussie_Al
Participant
@aussie_al
ArniVidar;67458 wrote:
Personally, I don’t get the endorphin rush, or at least maybe my body does it but it does not effect me in any positive way. I don’t feel any pleasure during or after getting inked… it’s all pain. .

I am pretty much covered and I agree with you 100%

More people have just one tattoo then people who get one and cannot stop

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

Hey

Thanks for all the replies.

Arni, don’t worry, that isn’t why I want my tattoo. I don’t want to self harm at all, and am much much better. I’ve done lots of soul searching, as it were, as to why I’m getting it, and I’m 100% sure its not for that reason ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s just my bf’s worry. I’m of course lucky that he’s so caring about my mental well being, I’m just trying to make him understand why I want it. Self harm wasnt the REASON i got my piercing, but if I’m truly honest with myself it was a ‘fuck it’ response in some ways, even though I had always wanted it. He’s just being careful but there’s no need. The addiction worry for me wasnt about that, it just seems some people start and then keep seeing new things and always wanting more!

I’m getting it for me, as my own self expression, and I’m really, really excited!

Thanks everyone ๐Ÿ™‚ x

Aussie_Al
Participant
@aussie_al

Cool – you’ll be just fine! ๐Ÿ™‚

Infamous78
Participant
@infamous78

Welcome Poesy.

I just wanted one tattoo as well. Now I’m working on my 2nd and have ideas for more. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi Poesy

Welcome to the forum.

I have sent the link you requested – hope it helps if you need anything further just let me know.

Take Care
Matthew

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.