Fotog
Participant
@fotog

Hi all, and finally glad to be somewhere I feel I can breathe. And yet it’s online and to people I may never meet. I have quite a story. In fact, I’m also writing a book/screenplay about the journey…and it’s not even over, but beginning.
I’m aged 39, and recently moved from Detroit Michigan, USA to California. San Diego to be exact, although San Diego is my 3rd home here in CA since I moved 4 months back. I moved after my career in photography and art was sidetracked by our failing economy , and my fiancee’s job offer . We decided to heave up and move to Virginia ( two years ago ) and when she lost her job, and me mine we moved to CA. We searched along the way looking for places to live, and for me to pursue my dream to tattoo. Simply put, it’s what I want to do for the rest of my life. Every day . Forever. Morning, to night.
What have I done to get there ? Jeez, where to start. The short version ( I can elaborate later if anyone cares ) is I have a full sleeve, seven other pieces , two done by myself. I know and have been around artist – whom I can call my friends, literally my entire life. Guy’s like Mark Heggie ( who did my second tatt ever on me, in a bedroom of my pals with NO DOOR . Yep. Scratching. Or Jeff Shea ( whose done James Hetfield, Slim Jim Phantom, Gilby Clarke, and tons more) who got me hooked up to know Hiro from Cotten Pickin in Japan, Tom Renshaw who did Kid Rocks backpiece , to my lost pal Tony Eterno ( where are you) all of whome let me shoot the layout in Juxtapoz on Tattoo. Wow. And thats just the tip of my wacky life.
ANYWAY, now I’m in CA, and recently separated from my first mentor under rather rocky setbacks. We also ran a Gallery , and when he decided to go back to college, on the eve of a new firstborn to he and his wife – I was left without a job, or a future in ink. I decided to suck it up, and take what I know to the streets. The second shop I looked into , posting for help , took my offer to interview . The fellow is an ex con, ex scratcher who ran two stores of his own, when he finally went pro. He ended up losing it all , and went to prison. He got out last year and started up a new biz. The guy is great, old school, a NON artist – which is why he needed me. I can draw, I can run a shop and I know the biz. He’s shown me how to Autoclave, and scrub tubes and needles. And It’s only week 4. I’m running the shop and now people are asking ME to ink My art I draw. I don’t know where to go, as I’m only in my second apprenticeship and my first in a shop.
I showed up, and now I’m hired. Kinda. Sorta. THe job is no pay, but today, having busted my hump pulling 14 hour days , seven days a week for free….today offered me the chance to do a small BW work on someone I know next Monday. I of course, am super excited.
That’s where I wanted to know if this forum can offer me help . or direction ….as well as art and opinions.
I have two books of flash I’m working on, one 70 pages, the other currently 40. I’m in the inking , and soon coloring porcess, so they will have linework, B/W , or color options. I’ve been published for my art, and photography ….so I’m hoping they will help offset my unpaid intern position.
The questions I have, are on how it’s being run , and what I’m seeing, and my take. The business is amazing, having been completely redone from a Hells Angels home bar. It actually resembles a doctors office, it’s so sterile and clean ( thanks to my hard work ) . I’ve run several business, including a family one in Detroit – still in business ( in MI failed economy) . I just wonder, having yesterday had a customer beg for me to tattoo him , that I’m not allowed.
ANYWAY. I’m not here to grouse, but rather hope this starts a discussion that I need right now. I’m alone in this, the relationship , being unpaid is making it trocky, and now I’m living in a bad neighborhood, with roomates and already been robbed twice. Seriously concerned if I’m doing this right, and need adults in the biz to offer some insight. I can upload pics of my work, my sketchbooks, and gear – so you can all follow along . But a heads up I do have a Facebook page, so if you look, I’m out there under the Fotog Ink name. ANYWAY, love this sight, so excited , whew. And tired.
Nice to meet you all !
Christopher Chouinard
Fotog Ink
Apprentice / Head of House at a pro shop in El Cajon , CA .

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.