Frae
Participant
@frae

Hi everyone ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m joining this forum as a tattooing enthusiast, but truth be told I’ve wanted to be a tattooist for over ten years! I know, I know a lot of you are already seething “potential scratcher” under your breath… worry not!

I’m originally from England, I’m a designer by trade and education (predominantly for print) but I moved to Belgium with my other half around nine months ago. I’m learning Dutch as a second language and I’m wholeheartedly committed to becoming fluent. Because I’m learning a new language (and taking a break from working) I had a unique chance to stop and rethink my career path and persue what I’ve wanted to really do and what I feel I am perfectly suited to. I reckon that I have one last shot to be a tattooist and I’m going for it with everything I’ve got!

And no, no home made or ebay bought machines or experimenting on humans for me! I know this is a heated debate throughout the tattooing industry and I take on board both sides of the argument… but personally, I really feel that an apprenticeship is the only way to go, for me. I’m working on a portfolio of creative designs right now. I’ve asked around a little bit on the phone but I’ve been told to just “show up with a portfolio of good designs” at reputable shops.

I’ve read the “the rules” topic but i’m a little confused as to where I can fit in here and what I can and can’t ask. I don’t want to break rules and be a complete noob… shall I stick to being here in an “enthusiast” capacity or am I allowed to ask questions about apprenticeships and get advice? No problem if not, but I am mainly here for advice from people in the loop, so i’d better find out before i end up accidentally stepping on peoples’ toes! ๐Ÿ™‚

Aah, sorry for wall-of-texting you guys but i’m so damn enthusiastic about tattooing!

All the best,

Kat

BIKERinBLACK77
Participant
@bikerinblack77

Welcome to the forums!
Glad to hear you’re thinking of taking the proper route to become a tattoo artist.

Yes, you can post questions about how to get your apprenticeship or make yourself more desirable as an apprentice applicant. Questions about stuff like that and about how to create your portfolio/show it are completely fine.

Just avoid asking about techniques, processes, etc.

We have a great group here that are always willing to help and answer questions. I’m looking forward to seeing your work.

-Biker.

Vakyrja
Participant
@vakyrja

What a coincidence, I’m also from Belgium/Flanders and thinking of becoming a tattoo artist. Where do you live? I’m close to Antwerp…

… and I’ll go make my own introduction thread now before I hi-jack yours, I’ll see you around here ๐Ÿ™‚

Frae
Participant
@frae
BIKERinBLACK77;53859 wrote:
Glad to hear you’re thinking of taking the proper route to become a tattoo artist.

Yes, you can post questions about how to get your apprenticeship or make yourself more desirable as an apprentice applicant. Questions about stuff like that and about how to create your portfolio/show it are completely fine.

Wow Awesome! Cheers Mr Biker, glad to hear it ๐Ÿ˜€ But I’m definitely not “thinking” about it – this is set in stone, 9000% sure this is what I want!

Vakyrja;53880 wrote:
What a coincidence, I’m also from Belgium/Flanders and thinking of becoming a tattoo artist. Where do you live? I’m close to Antwerp…

… and I’ll go make my own introduction thread now before I hi-jack yours, I’ll see you around here ๐Ÿ™‚

Groetjes, buurvrouw! I live close to Gent so luckily we shouldn’t be competing against each other ๐Ÿ˜‰ But hijacking? Pffft, I’m happy to hear from anyone with similar interests, especially my Vlaams neighbours!

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi and welcome.
I would love to see some of your portfolio work and there are many artists around on here who could critique it for you.

Take Care
Matthew

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

welcome to the forum

Frae
Participant
@frae
Sherav;54005 wrote:
Hi and welcome.
I would love to see some of your portfolio work and there are many artists around on here who could critique it for you.

I’d love to ๐Ÿ™‚

Question: should I start a new thread for it elsewhere? Where’s best? ๐Ÿ™‚

Vakyrja
Participant
@vakyrja

There’s a “flash tattoos” section where you can post them, I still have to put my stuff there instead of in my introduction ๐Ÿ˜› Looking forward to see your drawings!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.