designyogi
@

Hello all, my name’s Kayley I’ve just come here to get some insight and stuff, I’m from Essex in the UK and have been building up my portfolio in the hope for an apprenticeship.
I’m doing a weeks trial next week at Urban Ink in Southend in the hope to get an apprenticeship and I’m terrified.
Does anyone know what they might throw at me in that week? Or will it be just to see if I fit in?
Also I wanted to confirm that all or most apprenticeships are unpaid and what other’s did for money during this? As they said it could be up to a year before I’m earning anything.
Thank you muchely x

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

We cannot really discuss the options but what I would say is follow these simple rules;

1. Be prepared to work hard – this means making teas, mopping up, running errands, sterilising down etc.

2. Be prepared to take some harsh criticism of your work – it is there to build you up but sometimes they breakdown the misconceptions or built in mistakes.

3. Be prepared to sketch or draw the same thing 20-30 times a day everyday.

4. Don’t backmouth the artist and listen to what they have to say – this does not mean they can or should bully you but if they say something needs improving take notes on why.

5. Most of all be honest as to who you are and why you are wanting to do this.

12 mths is a very short apprenticeship many go for upto 5 years.

Financing is another matter some live off tips or savings some have a part-time job fitting around the apprenticeship.

Others take loans or live off family.

Good luck!

Take Care
Matthew

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.