Regurgitator
    Participant
    @regurgitator

Hi , i’ve been reading the forums for a couple of weeks and thought it was time to start posting.
    I’m going for a new tattoo on Sunday and thought i’d ask for your advice. The tattoo im getting is this one Cloud Dragon
    I would like an orange – fire and smoke type backround so that it looks like the dragon is emerging through the fire ….. the thing i cant make my mind up about is wether to have the dragon done in black and grey or to have it coloured. I have printed it out and coloured it in ( in light and dark green) and it looks pretty good.
    What do you people think… if you think it should be coloured what combination would you prefer.

Thanks in advance 😀

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If you have any general tattoo queries feel free to check out my free e-book in my sig it covers most of the basics.

The tattoo is going to look sweet.

If I gave my honest opinion I would say that I prefer black n shade against a vibrant coloured background.

That said colour will work equally well as long as you get the depth of shading correct so not to clash with the flames.

It is really a matter of personal preference and no right or wrong answer.

Post up when done and good luck!

Take care
    Matthew

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink

every artist has their own style, i personally do shading in all my colour pieces anyway, if your artist does this then you could see in advance if you wanted it just black and grey, depends on the design, i havent looked at yours yet……sorry just popping in quickly then im off lol

S.Neill
    Participant
    @s-neill

Every artist has a particular method for doing color. Some is taught through an apprenticeship, some is picked up in experience.

I have an odd method for working color. I layer colors and I know how to do it without overworking an area, and it gives my art a unique style. If I do a piece of work, I do it my own way and the client always understands that. That being said, if you bring me a piece of art, then try to tell me how to do it, you’ll get an inferior piece because you are interrupting my particular style of art to introduce your own. So my advice to you is to seek out an artist whose work looks like what you want. Then let them do it their way.

Regurgitator
    Participant
    @regurgitator

Thanks for the advice guys … in the end i talked to the tattooist and decided to give him free reign on how he approached the tattoo, style , colour etc…
    I’ve had the lines put down , ready for some shading next week… i’m downloading the pics now so will post them tomorrow.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.