Kyler
    Participant
    @kyler

Hey future friends how’s life treating everyone? Well I have been thinking about becoming a tattooist for about 2 years, but I would like to get some input on what is the best way to go about doing so. I would like to know if going to a school is any good, apprenticeship, or just getting the equipment and learning on my own is good. Any advice that all you Tattooists have for me I would greatly appreciate it all.

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

hi there and welcome on board the forum,
    the best option is to get an apprenticeship, art college is great for the experience but wont guarantee anywhere in the tattoo world, and the last option of just buying the equipment and learning at home is not an option for this forum, if you are wanting unlicenced tattoo discussions then i would suggest the outlaws forum in my signature.

the best way for an apprenticeship is to find an artist, get lots of ink done by them, then ask if you can show them some of your drawing work for critique….. if they like what they see then ask can you draw some stuff up for them, and hopefully it will progress into a trust between you both and you could get asked to help out and then be apprenticed by them..

good luck with your quest, its a very long and bumpy road, and not for the faint hearted, stick with it

you could post some of your work up for others to see, it helps to break the ice with older members 😉

Kyler
    Participant
    @kyler

Thanks Outlaw. I am going to work on posting some artwork of mine, and talk around town at the local shops to see if any of them r willing to work with me. I do how about 4 pieces that I want done for myself, so hopefully that will give me the in. So is there no tattoo schools that are wny good?

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink

I dont know alot about tattoo schools as we have none here in NZ, but like outlaw says, apprenticeship is the best, learn from a master and get on the right road.:D

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

I agree apprenticeship is the best way, but as mentioned by Outlaw art school is no bad thing either.
    I would suggest maybe enrolling in art school and looking to do a starter apprenticeship on evenings and w/ends.

This is because it will give you an alternative fall back on careers if you wanted to change or the tattooing did not work out. (I just really believe in education).

My mate started out as an apprentice tattooist (and did some great work) and did art school he is now a major graphic artist for a big games company earning a lot of money.

As he said he still loves tattoos but does not regret art school one bit.

Take Care
    Matthew

smallville_hero
    Participant
    @smallville_hero

my friend has lots of ink and a keen interest in tattoos. He gets on really well with his tattooist and goes to lots of conventions. He is starting off by learning from her and she has now supervised him doing piercings as a first step. He is working full time but looking to start an apprenticeship with her. Not sure about the other methods but this sounds good to me and he is well excited.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.