Asrais
    Participant
    @asrais

Ok, be kind to me 🙂 I am more than aware that some of them are poor quality and I’m working on improving them.

I’ll start with one that I like – this is the most recent one, only a few months old, it was my idea, reworked by the artist. I’ve not decided about the snake yet – I may have him coloured or detailed later, but for now I like the simplistic look of it.

IMG_20131026_091744.jpg

This one is on my wrist. Maybe not very original, but I like it.

IMG_20131026_103938.jpg

Next my lower back – the dragon, aside from being a bit dodgy, is also a bit scarred. It will be one of the first ones to be redone. The tribal underneath was done by a different artist -again, not very original, but I like it.

IMG_20131026_103444.jpg

I will get some pics of the ones on my legs later 🙂

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

The second two are salvageable. I will let someone with more knowledge tell you about the first.

Asrais
    Participant
    @asrais

Please, fill me in?

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

The first one looks like it was done by a non-professional with no sense of aesthetic. That’s the nicest way I can put it. Take my opinion with a grain of salt, and I myself need a badly faded and abused tattoo fixed.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

I’m glad you are here. I hope you are open to finding a new tattooist.

Asrais
    Participant
    @asrais

Really? Damn. It was done by an apprentice in a well renowned shop. I thought it was ok, but what do I know 🙂
    I was going to discuss my next tat with him this week, but i will investigate some other artists instead.
    I appreciate the feedback, guys, even if it is a little dissapointing.
    What would you recommend to fix it?

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

They just look amateurish weak and blown lines. Where are you located?

Asrais
    Participant
    @asrais

South Australia.

I’m not opposed to changing the design, or whatever it takes to fix it.

Asrais
    Participant
    @asrais

Lol, only a 2000 km trip!! These are some of the studios I have to choose from – I will go and do some reconnaissance tomorrow.

http://www.tattoosadelaide.com.au/

https://www.facebook.com/tattoomasterz

Vamp Body Art

Asrais
    Participant
    @asrais

A bit far from me (2000 km) I posted some links to local studios, but they are caught up waiting on Mods.

What should I look for, when picking a good artist?

Amok
    Participant
    @amok

There’s lots of good shops in NSW and VIC. Don’t know of any in SA though. Definitely don’t go back to your previous artists, I’m glad you’re here, we can help for sure. Google Kaleidescope tattoo and Hunter and Fox. Both shops are in NSW, but just checking out their artists work will give you a good idea of what a good tattoo looks like. There’s Khan who buttwheat mentioned too, and Benjamin Laukis in Melbourne.

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

That is a Really big question.
    If you’re looking at a portfolio and your jaw doesn’t drop on the first four pages then move on.

Asrais
    Participant
    @asrais

I am making some enquiries – there is a place not too far from me called Art n Soul that seems to be highly recommended. I filled in there contact form for them to call me.

My next planned tattoo is text – controversial, I know, and I also know how important it is to have nice clean lines for text to look good – so now I’m really nervous, I want to get it right.

Amok
    Participant
    @amok

I checked out Art N Soul. There’s some OK work on their website but most of it is pretty bad. For text, you want an AMAZING artist because its very difficult to get right. I wouldn’t take my skin there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.