aestheticvoyager
    Participant
    @aestheticvoyager

Had my first tattoo done last weekend. I’ve been wanting to get this done for almost two years now and have continued to put it off. Finally went and made the appointment and I’m extremely happy with it, so much so that I am already thinking about making an appointment to go and get another one from the same artist.
    I was looking for some feedback on the tattoo, specifically the quality of the work, but anything about the overall picture would be welcomed too.

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

Honestly, I think it’s a poor representation of the original and very badly done.

aestheticvoyager
    Participant
    @aestheticvoyager

Care to elaborate as to why? Since this was my first one I’m not entirely sure what to look for. I guess I’ll have to find another artist for my second although the choices are limited up here in alaska

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

@aestheticvoyager 131702 wrote:

Care to elaborate as to why?

It doesn’t look like the original much!

@aestheticvoyager 131702 wrote:

I guess I’ll have to find another artist for my second although the choices are limited up here in alaska

This is not true check out Reed Leslie Reed Leslie | Alaska Tattoo Artist, Body Art, Artist, Tattoos Galore

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

It doesn’t match the original exactly, but I think it represents the style of the original. Is it better or worse than the original? I’m not wild about the original.

aestheticvoyager
    Participant
    @aestheticvoyager

I don’t think it’s quite as good, but I wasn’t expecting an exact representation, I didn’t even think one would be possible. I wish I had found these forums before, but I’m sure thousands of people have said that. I loved the original, and I was focused more on finding an artist who had done similar work in a tattoo than looking at their tattoo specific abilities which I guess was my biggest mistake.
    For my next one I really wanted to get something similar to this Dan Morris Rain City Tattoo Manchester world map on forearm | Flickr – Photo Sharing! although on the top of my feet and with a compass as well. Do you think that would be up reeds alley?

aestheticvoyager
    Participant
    @aestheticvoyager

Also, this was immediately after the tattoo was done and I was told it will look different once healed, would that make any difference?

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@aestheticvoyager 131718 wrote:

Also, this was immediately after the tattoo was done and I was told it will look different once healed, would that make any difference?

Tattoos change until fully healed. It will take at least four months to heal. Relax, give it time.

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

I think it has the same spirit as the original and if you weren’t looking for photorealistic copy then I think its fine.
    There’s not a whole lot to judge it off of since flaws that we look for don’t apply to abstract work. The shading could be a little better but once it heals u up it will probably blend out a bit. And since the original art was on white background and the tattoo uses skin tone background it hard to compare the two.
    This is a tough one. Is it a man wearing a backpack?

I hate to say this cause its usually associated with bad tattoos (which I don’t think this is)
    As long as you like it…

aestheticvoyager
    Participant
    @aestheticvoyager

@jerryatrophy 131722 wrote:

I think it has the same spirit as the original and if you weren’t looking for photorealistic copy then I think its fine.
    There’s not a whole lot to judge it off of since flaws that we look for don’t apply to abstract work. The shading could be a little better but once it heals u up it will probably blend out a bit. And since the original art was on white background and the tattoo uses skin tone background it hard to compare the two.
    This is a tough one. Is it a man wearing a backpack?

I hate to say this cause its usually associated with bad tattoos (which I don’t think this is)
    As long as you like it…

Yea it’s a man with a backpack and climbing harness. Actually a picture I took of my friend on one of our trips which he then turned into the painting. Would it have been possible for a photo realistic copy in this medium? I know it’s not a traditional style and it was hard to find anyone, even online, who had something similar in a portfolio to get an idea.

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

I like it better now that I know that it is a man wearing a backpack and climbing gear, seen from behind. When I first looked at it I thought it was a really bad abstract Michael Jackson, seen from the front.

Not my taste, but if you liked the original abstract piece I guess it represents that.

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

While you couldn’t expect it to be an exact copy with exactly matching colors, it could have been closer. The part that stands out to me is the amount of black shading inside the backpack. I don’t know if I would think it looks better or worse …. not having the reference next to it though.
    I’m really not trying to knock it because I do like it. Its completely custom and different.

It apparently has a lot of great meaning behind it. So as long as you like it that’s all that matters

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@jerryatrophy 131725 wrote:

I do like it. Its completely custom and different./QUOTE]

This says it all Jerry!

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

I think it looks fine mate. It loos the same as the original and thats what you wanted and got. Not my thing but who cares ๐Ÿ™‚

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

I like it! It’s hard to judge technique etc on tattoos of abstract art. I’d like to see a little bit more fine detail in certain places, like the black in the backpack, but other than that, I think its nice! It’s art, it’s yours, it’s unique, it’s custom. Doesn’t need to be technically perfect as far as I’m concerned ๐Ÿ™‚ Beautiful

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.