Spyd
Participant
@spyd

I posted a little in Introductions, but I thought I’d post more pics and some of the “story” behind the tattoo here.

First pics of the day I got it, a little over 2 weeks ago.

IMG_20120709_150829.jpg
IMG_20120709_151807.jpg
IMG_20120709_152541.jpg
IMG_20120709_161023.jpg
IMG_20120709_162602.jpg

And the finished tattoo, picture taken by the artist:

tattoo1.jpg

This was one week later: (excuse my crappy pictures)

2012-07-16_13-12-41_155-1.jpg
2012-07-16_13-13-50_190-1.jpg
tattoo.jpg

This was today, so 2 weeks and 3 days later:

IMG_20120726_110159.jpg
IMG_20120726_110508.jpg

I originally toyed with the idea of getting a tiny tattoo to cover a scar I had on my shoulder from a mole-type removal. I never had a great idea for a tattoo though, so I didn’t pursue it too much. Within the past 6 months, my husband had also been talking about a tattoo, so because we were talking about it more, I thought more about what I’d be happy with if it was going to be on my body for life. I used to be anti-tattoo, btw. So for me to even highly consider this type of thing was crazy. Then one day it hit me, get a red-winged blackbird. There are a lot of reasons; it’s kinda like an onion of reasons. There is the simple reason, such as they remind me of my Grandma (passed away 11 years ago). She always used to point them out like they were a big deal, like seeing a bald eagle on the side of the road. The deeper reason would be that seeing the bird makes me remember life when it was simple, when I wasn’t complicated, when I had less baggage, etc. It’s like a pure, sweet memory. Anyway, I’ve read enough on here to know that some people get tattoos for a deep significant meaning, and others like like something and want it on them. That’s cool, either way. For me, I needed something with meaning or it never would have happened.

We asked around for recommendations and settled on the Ink Factory in Hudson, WI. The artist told me that to get the detail that I wanted, it couldn’t be a tiny tattoo. I was fine with it as long as I could cover it with a short-sleeved shirt. I want it visible, but there may be an occasion where it should be covered, I figured. I’m 30 and not planning on a career where it would be an issue (I’m a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom of 4 right now!), but you never know (I said to myself).

My husband also got a tattoo that day, too.

Untitled.jpg

He has plans for more work on this shoulder. I said I was done after this one, but it was only a few days and I had drawn up the design for the next one. I may be asking for placement advice on that one!

Sorry it was so wordy. I don’t really have an outlet IRL to share this kind of stuff, so I figured since I’m pretty good at joining forums, I’d try this one!

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

Nice story and its what forums are for, reading lol

I started off with one tattoo that kind of had a meaning but then lost the plot and went mad and just got artwork!

Blackbirds also bring souls to and from the other side don’t they? or is that crows? haha 🙂

Spyd
Participant
@spyd

Thank you! No idea on the souls, but it makes me smile to see my tattoo because I think of my Grandma and about being young!

Panter
Participant
@panter

Nice story and nice tattoo! For a first one that looks like a win to me. It’s a nice size, has personal meaning without being OTT and looks beautifully done, congratulations 😎

Amok
Participant
@amok

Nice first, congrats!

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

no doubt, nice first tattoo, congrats

Spyd
Participant
@spyd

Thank you very much!

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury

I like all the new pics you posted! I read your whole story, very cool! I homeschooled my daughter up until she went off to college.

As far as my tattoos, they both have deep meanings to me. I’m now planning my third. I want one to represent my brand new grandson, Eli.

Enjoy your stay on the forum!! :):):):):):)

Spyd
Participant
@spyd

Thanks, msmercury! I have the idea for my 2nd pretty set, just wanting to make sure it goes on the right spot! I almost feel like the next one has too much meaning crammed into it!

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose
Spyd;116465 wrote:
Thanks, msmercury! I have the idea for my 2nd pretty set, just wanting to make sure it goes on the right spot! I almost feel like the next one has too much meaning crammed into it!

Why not break it up then and have a butterfly for each colour? or is that too many lol

Spyd
Participant
@spyd

Well, the two butterflies aren’t going to be visually crammed, but it represents me and my husband (our marriage), colors (the kids), butterflies/rainbow (song lyric). Maybe that’s not so bad. OR I could get a bunch of butterflies going from my hip to my rib cage. Why not? My husband would love it! I think I need to work out/tone up before doing that.

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose
Spyd;116470 wrote:
Well, the two butterflies aren’t going to be visually crammed, but it represents me and my husband (our marriage), colors (the kids), butterflies/rainbow (song lyric). Maybe that’s not so bad. OR I could get a bunch of butterflies going from my hip to my rib cage. Why not? My husband would love it! I think I need to work out/tone up before doing that.

He would love it!

Spyd
Participant
@spyd

Thinking more about it now … maybe I should make a new thread, but wondering about the working out/weight loss question. Anyone want to chime in? I can upload a pic shortly.

Spyd
Participant
@spyd

Nah, looking it up on search and finding that losing 10 pounds won’t be a big deal.

x561x
@

Great story, and the tattoo looks really good on you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.