eddie1983man
Participant
@eddie1983man

Hi guys. So my outline has been finished recently. The background and chest piece was finished a week ago and is still healing and flaking, but the koi and flowers were done 3 weeks ago and are pretty much healed.

I go in next Sunday to start filling it in.

I’m not 100% sure of the colours as I have neverr took an art class in my life and need some suggestions from people who know about colour schemes and such.

This was my idea. The koi will be mostly black with yellow highlights, and I was thinking of having all the lotus flowers red, but my artist didn’t seem to think that would look very nice. He thought it would look good using blue, pink or purple as well.

The background will be traditional black and grey of course. Any colour scheme suggestions for the rest would be appreciated, and considered. The koi doesn’t necessarily have to be black either I’m pretty open to others ideas right now. Thanks for the input.

And for those who are wondering, the piece is being done by Hori-Cuz from the Horikazu tattoo family. He is based on the Sunshine Coast, Australia. If anyone is interested I would be happy to pass you on his details. just send me a PM.

PS, there are a few lines around the shoulder that need a bit of a touch up as my work uniform sometimes rubs against my skin in that area, but nothing major.

Sorry for the crappy pics, had to use my phone.

cheers.

img20111002002.jpg

img20111002012.jpg

img20111002013.jpg

img20111002014.jpg

img20111002011.jpg

Amok
Participant
@amok

Looking good, congrats! As far as colors go, I’d go with your artists suggestion as he would know what looks best, as long as you’re happy with it.

Panter
Participant
@panter

As above. I gave my artist free reign on colour choice, I just asked for nothing too bright in there (mine is biomech.)
He’s the artist, I figure that he’ll know what will work and what won’t, plus I imagine you get a better result if they’re using the colours that they want to.

Amok
Participant
@amok

Yeah as long as you don’t hate the artists suggestion I feel it’s worth going with his choice. Having said that my artist wanted to make my dragon tattoo brown and gold, I just wasnt feeling that so I had to say no.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Looks good! congrats, Be sure to keep us updated with pictures of the progress mate.

eddie1983man
Participant
@eddie1983man

thanks for the comments. I guess I will just wait and see what my artists says regarding the colours.

I will update the thread on Sunday after we begin the shading.

JENerationX
Participant
@jenerationx
eddie1983man;98278 wrote:
thanks for the comments. I guess I will just wait and see what my artists says regarding the colours.

I will update the thread on Sunday after we begin the shading.

Your artist is right. If you were to go with yellow parts on the koi and then just red for the flowers, you’re almost talking about an analogous color scheme. You’re keeping within a limited range, and although the colors are harmonious, they don’t create much “pop”. If you want a vibrant, stand out tattoo, then that yellow/orange (you’ll get darker yellow almost orange when shaded) should be accented against it’s complementary or opposite color. Yellow and purple, blue and orange, are complementary colors. As long as they are equal tones and used in the correct amounts, they will create phenomenal contrast and make the koi pop.

If you’ve seen the artist’s work and respect the artist, then go with what he knows will work unless you absolutely hate the color.

Briscogun
Participant
@briscogun

I know I’ve read in the past that specific colors on koi are supposed to mean different things. I think black for male/father, orange for female/mother, blue/white for son… something like that.

You should be able to pull up some referrences online to that, or check with your artist. Better safe than sorry.

Aussie Tom
Participant
@aussie-tom
Briscogun;98286 wrote:
I know I’ve read in the past that specific colors on koi are supposed to mean different things. I think black for male/father, orange for female/mother, blue/white for son… something like that.

You should be able to pull up some referrences online to that, or check with your artist. Better safe than sorry.

The colours represent things such as bravery, prosperity and good fortune. It also depends on which way the koi is swimming or presented on the body too.

eddie1983man
Participant
@eddie1983man

thanks for the replies. I do want the koi stand out as the main focal point of the piece, and if I plan to go black and yellow with it, i guess it would make sense to add some colour to the background. More picks to come after Sunday

arnoldsantos1
Participant
@arnoldsantos1
eddie1983man;98434 wrote:
thanks for the replies. I do want the koi stand out as the main focal point of the piece, and if I plan to go black and yellow with it, i guess it would make sense to add some colour to the background. More picks to come after Sunday

I think it’s evident that the fish is the subject matter here. It’s pretty impossible for it not to be. Your tattoo artist is dope and I would go with his color scheme suggestions. It’s his tattoo, too:)
This piece is way proper. Congrats!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.