sorensen
Participant
@sorensen

Polynesian-Mjolnir-tattoo.jpg

Hi guys, great forum, this is my first post after stalking through for a few months..

Just looking for any advice about the above design. Although i love the design and have my heart set on getting it inked, i feel the image might be a bit too “black and white”, and i’d like it to have a more subtle feel, maybe with more line, intricate detail as the lines are quite thick. I’m gonna take it to an artist next week to see what she says but wondered if anyone as any comments or improvements about it, opinions and criticisms welcome (/ expected.)

The tattoo is in the shape of Thor’s hammer, Mjolnir, representing my Scandinavian heritage, but its an inherently Polynesian design, which i love because i missed out on getting one travelling, among the different elements represented are good luck, tenacity and determination in reaching goals, prosperity, protection and strength.

Many thanks for whatever you can think of.

Sorensen.:)

TopTattooPics
Participant
@toptattoopics

I say if you like the design go with it. I think it would turn out nice.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

personally i don’t like it. But im sure you wouldn’t like my tattoo’s so different people have different opinions 🙁 sorry 🙂

Bleachninety
Participant
@bleachninety

I think it looks dope definately something different then the average tattoo.:cool:

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Go for it.

Panthen
Participant
@panthen

Are you Maori? If not, why do you want Maori designs on you?

sorensen
Participant
@sorensen

One of my passions is travelling, properly getting into the cultures and mixing with the people. I want to get tattoos that symbolise where I’ve been and the experiences I’ve had, kinda like postcards in ink. So even though I’m not maori, or polynesian – I’m from London, I want a tat that symbolises my time there. Gonna go in tomorrow and talk to the artist about it so thanks for feedback, appreciated.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Having seen so many much better renditions of Mjölnir than that, I personally don’t like it one bit.
Also, is it okay to connect the Maori spirituality with the heathen gods of old?

But if it’s what you want bro, then all the more power to you.

Panthen
Participant
@panthen
sorensen;87904 wrote:
One of my passions is travelling, properly getting into the cultures and mixing with the people. I want to get tattoos that symbolise where I’ve been and the experiences I’ve had, kinda like postcards in ink. So even though I’m not maori, or polynesian – I’m from London, I want a tat that symbolises my time there. Gonna go in tomorrow and talk to the artist about it so thanks for feedback, appreciated.

Have you been to New Zealand or related islands?
I can tell you now they’d take serious offence to someone taking a bastardised ta moko and putting into an old god design. So I hope it’s covered if you ever decide to venture there, they aren’t just tattoos to them, it’s their story and lineage.

If you were serious about your travels and getting into each particular culture, you should learn to respect their culture, not insult them.

amanaman11
Participant
@amanaman11

looks like a tribal cat looking down on a monkey sticking there tongue out

Nomad69
Participant
@nomad69
Panthen;87946 wrote:
I can tell you now they’d take serious offence to someone taking a bastardised ta moko and putting into an old god design. So I hope it’s covered if you ever decide to venture there, they aren’t just tattoos to them, it’s their story and lineage.

If you were serious about your travels and getting into each particular culture, you should learn to respect their culture, not insult them.

That’s a valid point and something to consider.

Just my two cents but if you want to do something like this then why not wait until you can get it done by a native artist in say NZ? It would make for a much more compelling piece with a truly unique moment to go with it.

Degenerate
Participant
@degenerate

Hi guys Im new here and have been browsing a bit in hope of inspiration and education. If I may add my 2 cents to this discussion…
That design definitely has a polynesian feel to it but it isnt maori. It looks Tahitian and I see a few symbols typical of Hawaiian culture in there too. Its a nice bold piece but as others have stated, to polynesians its more than just skin adornment. To us it represents heritage, honour, tradition and strength. To me and my family ta moko is something that has to be earned and your piece must represent you. I have designed 7 pieces so far that all incorporate the wearers family members, where theyre from and even some of their beliefs. You can imagine the distress it would cause them if they came across someone with the exact same tattoo on their body? As long as the designs are generic and not specifically created for an individual you should be safe :). There are those that believe outsiders (Those not of specific polynesian descent) should not be allowed to wear maori, samoan, Tongan, Cook Island etc designs on their body but I think as long as respect is shown anyone should be allowed to wear our taonga (precious gift)

tricky kid
@
Panthen;87946 wrote:

Sorenson first off are you Maori?? I doubt it because your very wrong… We take no offense to anyone displaying our style of art we have practiced for centuries.. I work on traditional tribal pieces alot and guess what there not all malty.. climb down off ya high horse buddy ya Ill informed

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

Looks like a Mexican sombrero to me.

feathertouch
Participant
@feathertouch

On the other side of the board you will upset alot of “white boys” who most likely will take offense to having thors hammer turned into a tribal piece it is just an all around bad idea. IMO

Megan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.