sumguy
Participant
@sumguy

I have a co-worker who got a tattoo from an artist in our area that I am considering going to. I’ve asked a lot of people, and I have gotten multipe referrals to him, but now that I have some actual photos, I wanted to post them on here and get honest opinions if you guys would go to this guy or not. These are obviously portraits, and the tattoo I’m looking to get won’t be a portrait, but I want to get some jack-o-lanterns with a resemblance to my kids, so I would guess that someone who can do portraits well would be a good option. This will be my first tat and I don’t want to be one of those people who are told that their tattoo is just okay.

I don’t know this lady well enough to have met her kids, so I don’t know what they look like or what the photo the artist was working from looks like. She posted her photos on facebook and since we’re friends on there I downloaded them to share here. She also won’t see your comments, so please be brutally honest (not that anyone here needs permission to be honest from what I’ve seen in all the other posts I’ve read! lol). The portraits were done about a week or two apart, and she said in her facebook post that the one on the left was done first and that’s why it’s lighter. Maybe it’s still healing? Not sure.

The artist was Tim Sconce (Tiny Tim’s tattoos in Sedro Woolley, WA). I figured it was better to post photos of a friend’s tattoo than just his website because I would guess that a lot of artists only put their best work on their website. Here’s his site just in case though: http://www.tinytimstattoos.com/

back2.jpg
Trevor1.jpg
kenzie1.jpg
heartscrolls2.jpg
heartscrolls.jpg

Thanks for any helpful advice! Oh, if you would recommend not going to this artist, how do I go about finding a better artist?

Aahzz
Participant
@aahzz

Based on those, he wouldn’t be my first choice. I found his portfolio pretty hit-or-miss as well.

For my artist, I spent hours combing the websites of every local tattoo shop, and looking through the artists’ portfolios. I revisited the ones I liked multiple times, getting pickier, until I narrowed it down to one shop that had several artists I liked. Then I went and talked to them, and made my choice. I also spoke to friends and coworkers that had ink to see where they had gone, and how they felt about it – although none of them had gone to the shop I finally chose.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

He get’s a solid “Meh” from me-The lines are poor, the perspective is way off and it looks somewhat childish which I could accept for a style if the rest of it made sense… but it doens’t. You need to take some time, do some research until you find a portfolio of tats that really wows you. You’ll know when you see it. Your heart will start racing, your jaw will be on the ground, etc. It takes time but it’s worth it.

Where are you located? Tim’s shop in is washington- I can suggest some people in SF that would kill your idea. It’s a cheap flight down but it would be totally worth it.

sumguy
Participant
@sumguy

Thanks for the replies. I wasn’t very impressed by the tats either, but I got so many recommendations to him that I thought maybe he was a great artist and she just had ugly kids. You’re right Gsouder, I’m in Washington State. About an hour north of Seattle. While I wouldn’t mind going to Seattle for a tattoo, I think a plane trip to SF would probably be too far. With 3 kids and work I just can’t justify the trip. Definitely open to recommendations in the Seattle area though!

sumguy
Participant
@sumguy

Okay, so next artist. These are done by another local artist on a different friend of mine. Opinions?

Artist is Paula from Industry Tattoos http://industrytattoo.com/

seanasleeve1.jpg
seanamic1.jpg

Thanks again for any comments!

Aahzz
Participant
@aahzz
sumguy;76669 wrote:
Okay, so next artist. These are done by another local artist on a different friend of mine. Opinions?

Artist is Paula from Industry Tattoos http://industrytattoo.com/

seanasleeve1.jpg
seanamic1.jpg

Thanks again for any comments!

I like Paula’s work a LOT more. I’d certainly talk to her if I were looking for an artist.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

she’s really good by if you are looking for hyper realistic detail you need to keep looking. Her old school and styled pieces are pretty good though!

Aahzz
Participant
@aahzz
Gsouder;76672 wrote:
she’s really good by if you are looking for hyper realistic detail you need to keep looking. Her old school and styled pieces are pretty good though!

I agree – not my choice for hyper realism based on her portfolio, but I like her work over all. I also wanted to come back and point out to anyone looking at her portfolio, the thumbnails have been badly sized and it can make it look like her perspective is off – click the thumbnails to see the actual work in proper proportions.

Aahzz
Participant
@aahzz

Actually, I just went back to Industry Tattoo’s website, and found myself more impressed with Josh’s portfolio…I think his work suits your concept well.

http://industrytattoo.com/?cat=7

sumguy
Participant
@sumguy

Wow, you guys are absolutely right. I love my friend’s tattoo and think it’s a great piece, but I don’t want the same style at all. Looking at her portfolio all of he work looks similar. For some reason it never occured to me that an artist has one style they specialize in and very well may not be able to do another style well. Makes it glaringly obvious how uncreative I am!

I appreciate you pointing me toward Josh’s portfolio Aahzz. His work is amazing! And you’re both right, I’m looking for something pretty realistic. You were right about being wowed when seeing a portfolio Gsouder! I would like your opinion on Josh work though if you don’t mind.

Thanks again to both of you for taking the time to help out a noob to the tat world. I’ve been wanting one for years now but fearful to take the plunge for fear of ending up with something I don’t care for. That and I couldn’t come up with a design that I loved. There’s that lack of creativity showing again!

Here’s Josh’s portfolio again for anyone that would like to give an opinion. They’re all appreciated.
http://industrytattoo.com/?cat=7

Daxos
Participant
@daxos

FYI, when I clicked on the http://industrytattoo.com/?cat=7 link my anti-virus software alerted on the page. Don’t know what’s wrong with it, or my software, just figured I’d pass along the information.

Michael

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder
Daxos;76705 wrote:
FYI, when I clicked on the http://industrytattoo.com/?cat=7 link my anti-virus software alerted on the page. Don’t know what’s wrong with it, or my software, just figured I’d pass along the information.

Michael

Me too. Google found a piece of malware that was downloaded off the site in the past 90 days. That flags the site as harmful. If you google “Josh industry tattoo” you can look over his myspace profile.

To the OP, Yes, he is much better. He does have a few different styles that he does so if you go with him make sure he knows what you are looking for. I would find another person to compare him to though- the worst case is that you end up with him anyway. No need to rush into this, right? Besides, by looking a little longer you might find someone better. This is defiantly a “wow” portfolio though.

Aahzz
Participant
@aahzz

Definitely avoid the industry tattoo website for the time being – I went back there this morning before dropping by the thread, and got a lovely piece of scareware that wasn’t on the site yesterday. Must have been hijacked last evening.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Late to the party as usual, but IMO that Paula character isn’t that much better than your first one… so I say definitely no to that one.

sumguy
Participant
@sumguy
ArniVidar;76746 wrote:
Late to the party as usual, but IMO that Paula character isn’t that much better than your first one… so I say definitely no to that one.

Well welcome to the party Arni. Did you get a chance to look at Josh’s work? If so, what did you think of it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.