Canadian
Participant
@canadian

I recently got my first tattoos both of which represent my heritage (English/Spanish), one on each forearm. For my English side (father) I got the coat of arms (3 lions) and plan to add the motto from the British coat of arms “Dieu et mon droit” meaning “God and my right” but I haven’t decided how to incorporate that in yet. I went with the original design of the 3 lions and NOT the more modern version you see on the football jersey or the current official coat of arms because I like the slightly more simplistic design of the original and also the fact that it was used on King Richards shield 🙂 So far I only got the outline down as I am unsure of how I will finish it.

For my Spanish side, I got the motto “PLVS VLTRA” meaning “Further beyond” along with Osbourne bull silhouette. This is in a simple classic serif type font (reminds me of latin which the quote is) and below it in a much smaller script is a quote from a poem my mom used to read to me:

“Te amo sin saber como, ni cuando, ni de donde” meaning “I love you without knowing how, or when, or where from” which is a reference to the fact that I feel great pride and love for the country of Spain without having been born there and having only been there once.

I am extremely pleased with the results so far. I went to a great shop and the script/outlines couldn’t be any clearer I dont think.

I am looking for ideas for the English side. I want to incorporate a few of the Tudor roses and possibly the motto I mentioned earlier. I am having trouble deciding how to do this. Im also going to either shad the lions or thickening the outlines with thick and thin lines to give some weight.

Any ideas for anything English to compliment that arm are welcome. I am an artist myself and can draw most anything up myself but am a little stuck for ideas on this one. I originally had designed a full sleeve (actually many) but later decided I prefer the challenge and organic result of creating a sleeve over time.

I should mention that for the top half of my arm, I am designing a Guardian Angel who is standing on some clouds. I am not religious (in the traditional sense) although I do have strong beliefs that I want to express through tattoos. The clouds should be an easy way to merge whatever I do with the lower arm.

Cheers! And thanks!

IMG00693-20100726-1410.jpg

IMG00695-20100729-1913.jpg

3Lions.jpg

Canadian
Participant
@canadian

I should mention I would prefer all black but am considering making the Tudor roses (if I get them) a red (not too bright). I have also considered the St. Georges cross (England flag) on the outer forearm behind the lions and it could also be in red.

As you can see from the pictures above, I am partial to very simple designs. All my work (I am a painter and work as an animator as well) is quite simplistic. I prefer the beauty and challenge of simple.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.