LotusCordova
Participant
@lotuscordova

I had a question, and wanted to get some views on this.

Half sleeve, should cover the arm “around” from elbow to shoulder.

Does “half sleeve” apply to a wrist to elbow tattoo, that completely covers the area, from wrist to elbow?

Bdubbs
Participant
@bdubbs

I suppose you could make an argument out of it.:) Lets call it a “lower arm half sleeve”. IMO I think it would look better the other way though..

Joker1
Participant
@joker1

Sleeve – from shoulder to wrist

3/4 sleeve – from shoulder to mid forearm

1/2 sleeve – from shoulder to elbow

1/4 sleeve – from shoulder to mid bicep

All of these include the underside of the arm.

I’ve heard the term gauntlet used to describe from wrist to elbow, but in my opinion you could call that a half sleeve too.

That’s how I see things anyway! 🙂

Ross_W
Participant
@ross_w

Yeah, ive heard the term Gauntlet used to. Seems kinda cheesy tho lol.

Personally, when i only had my left forearm done, i just said i had a “forearm piece”, didnt really call it a sleeve or anything. I guess you could call it a sleeve, but the term sleeve tattoo refers to the fact that the tattoo makes it look like the sleeves of a shirt.

But really, it doesn’t matter what its called, as long as its a good tattoo. 😀

LotusCordova
Participant
@lotuscordova

Yea, I havent really tought about it much untill recently. People calling saying they need to set an appointment to come in and work on a sleeve design…then when they get there, it a large shoulder piece, or a piece on the underside of the forearm. I just try to explain its not that it stretches from point to point, but has to “engulf” the area.

Joker1
Participant
@joker1

That would be annoying if you’d already spent time sketching out a design to cover the whole arm, underside and all, and they come in only wanting the part that people on the street will see

LotusCordova
Participant
@lotuscordova

Thats why we consult, take a down payment (that goes towars the work) then draw. People are to flakey to work off of the fact they “really” want it.

Joker1
Participant
@joker1

Luckily with my artist I can always book in for four hours by phone, no worries. He knows I’m not going to flake out or just be rude and not show up to my appointment.

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

at the end of the day a tattoo is a tattoo no matter how big or small :rolleyes:

Joker1
Participant
@joker1
Butterfly_Kisses;57672 wrote:
at the end of the day a tattoo is a tattoo no matter how big or small :rolleyes:

That’s true, everyone has different standards as to what is classified as a sleeve/half sleeve etc
I can see what pisses Lotus off too though, he could be spending time sketching out pretty much twice as much designing as he needs to, due to people not realising a sleeve/ half-sleeve goes all the way around an arm.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.