willryan42
    @

I want to get another tat, and I’m thinking I want a pair of headphones on my chest, and then either a music bar or have the cord form a word between the headphones.

It says “salve me de me ipse,” which means “save me from myself” in latin. to me, that means that music has saved me and changed me from becoming a totally different person and listening to music can wipe out a stressful day and help me enjoy myself, but I feel like I’m over analyzing it and it won’t make sense to others. Is my logic logical?

Also, I already have a tattoo with latin on it, so I don’t know if it’s gay to get even more latin-ized.

This is (obviously) an extremely rough sketch, and I don’t plan on drawing the final sketch myself, but I think I’m getting somewhere. (and i know it’s huge but it’s hard to see if resized)

img6807.jpg

allupinsydeyou
    Participant
    @allupinsydeyou

im a 100% firm believer that a tattoo should mean something. i dont believe in getting tattooed because its the cool thing or because your trying to be cool. if you honestly like the idea and you truely live the meaning behind it, then it shouldnt even be second guessed. that is all a personal preference.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

I really don’t understand how the tattoo could be ‘gay’ you are either gay or not and headphones are asexual. :p

If you like the tattoo then get it done. I would possibly look at the Latin again – I dug out my dictionary and the translation seems slightly off (could be me I am really tired )

Salve = salveo -ere [to be well , be in good health]; ‘salve, salvete’,as a greeting, [Good day! Good morning!], used also in bidding farewell.

Me – This is difficult as me could be mihi but is a substitute as to give to oneself (naming the action) whereas ego is I. Me is often a modern substitute.

De = de prep. with abl. (1) in space , [down from, away from]. Transf., [coming from] an origin; [taken from] a class or stock, [made from] a material, [changed from] a previous state; of information, [from] a source. (2) in time, [following from, after; in the course of, during]. (3) [about] a subject; [on account of] a cause; [according to] a standard. It can also mean concerning or about something.

Ipse= ipse -a -um [self]; ‘ego ipse’ , ; [the very, actual]; with numbers, et., [just, exactly]; of action, [by oneself, of one’s own accord].

Looking at this I read your quote as ‘To be well me about me himself’ whilst I get the modern meaning it just did not look right to me??

However this seems to make more grammatical sense.

Servo = servo -are [to watch over , observe; to keep, retain a promise, etc.; to keep to, stay in a place]. Partic. in superl., servantissimus -a -um, [most careful, most observant].

To watch or guard over.

Mihi = Me

Ex = ex or e prep. with abl. (1) in space , [from or out of]; ‘ex equo pugnare’, [to fight on horseback] (operating from it); ‘ex adverso’, [opposite]. (2) in time, [since]; also [immediately after]; ‘aliud ex alio’, [one thing after another].(3) in other relations: to denote origin, [from, away from, out of, of]; ‘ex animo’, [heartily]; ‘ex industria’, [on purpose]; ‘unus ex’, [one of]; ‘pocula ex auro’, [gold cups]; to denote cause or occasion, [from, on account of, by reason of]; ‘e vulnere mori’, [to die of a wound]; to denote correspondence, [in accordance with]; ‘ex re et ex tempore’, [according to time and circumstance]; to denote advantage, e.g. ‘e republica’, [for the benefit of the state]; in gen. [in regard to]; ‘ex parte’, [in part].

Basically to denote origin from.

Could read Servo Ex Mihi or Servo mihi me

These are just examples where you might just need to check the exact translations. if I am wrong I do apologise latin is one damn hard language.

๐Ÿ˜€

Take Care
    Matthew

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

erm, if i was having headphones ๐Ÿ˜Ž

id get them around my neck and have them coming onto my chest and the plug leading and plugging into my heart :rolleyes:
    you know like people have rosery bead tattoos ?

LT_TA
    Participant
    @lt_ta
    Butterfly_Kisses;44296 wrote:
    erm, if i was having headphones ๐Ÿ˜Ž

id get them around my neck and have them coming onto my chest and the plug leading and plugging into my heart :rolleyes:
    you know like people have rosery bead tattoos ?

love this idea

Keltin
    Participant
    @keltin

Personally a tattoo is only gay if its just a picture of bits on your chest or something around that area.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.