Joker1
    Participant
    @joker1

Here’s my newest piece, done on Friday. Bit of a dodgy photo.

DSC00147.jpg

Also, the top on the last ‘t’ in ‘Throat’ has blown out a bit, as in it’s fattened out. It looks like it’s smudged kinda, I can’t get a decent photo of it. Any ideas what this could be?

S.Neill
    Participant
    @s-neill

Is this tat on you…or did you do it?

S.Neill
    Participant
    @s-neill

try taking three pictures. Have the subject sit down, keep light out of the background, have the light behind the camera. Take a picture from slightly above left, strait on front, and slightly above right, post all three pics, work with it til you can get a pic that is not blurry.

I’ll wait for a moderator to answer any questions. I don’t want to step on the unlicensed tattooing restriction. If I can see good pictures and if you can answer some questions, I can tell you what is going on with this ink work.

Joker1
    Participant
    @joker1

That’s me in the picture. I’ll let it heal up and then take some more photos.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi Joker

That is a serious qoute you have to live upto there.
    Can I ask what font style you used? I

I like the tattoo and would love tos ee some pics when it has healed.

Take Care
    Matthew

S.Neill
    Participant
    @s-neill

Okay, Joker since yer not the tattoo-er, and instead are the tattoo-ee I’ll ask the questions and if i step on unlicensed discussion, a moderator can remove it. I may be able to answer some of the issues without seeing the pictures.

First. Was it done in a shop, or at a house?
    Second, do you know the experience level of the tattooist?
    Third, where exactly are the blowouts? On a collarbone, under, or below in the “dip” (I see you are just barely touching the collarbone)
    Fourth, do you know what grouping of needle the tattooist used? 3-5-7-9-liner, or did he use something else?
    Fifth, Tattooing has a fairly steady pain factor. Kinda feels like a hot razor blade, but at the blow out did you feel an especially sharp or concentrated pain?

I’m going to make a blanket assumption based on experience that is fairly simple as an explanation. The guy went too deep. When the needle protrudes too deeply the ink gets into the fatty tissue and blows out. The fatty tissue is like a sponge. Its kinda like trying to draw on paper with a felt tip pen.

If this is what happened, there is no way to fix it exept to shade along the outside lettering, fatten up the blown out areas, and color solid, or to add something set “behind” in the background.

If he went too deep on a collar bone you’ll have the same thing, with an added purplish bruise surrounding the line work.

Its possible you might have caused it yourself by tensing your neck muscles. Unexpected twitching can cause an artist to accidentily gouge you. He can’t get the needle out fast enough to avoid the sudden flexing of muscles, but usually a good artist can spot it immediately.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi Joker

Sorry dude didn’t read the whole post – you had a blow out?
    Damn that sucks.

As S.Neil has said the needle has gone too deep and the tissue has been torn allowing the ink to seep beneath the dermis.

This is from my ebook/research on the matter hope it helps.

The other main problem of shallow tattooing is that it can lead to ‘line bleeding’ where the ink spreads out slightly, distorting the sharpness of the line.

It is also sometimes known as ‘fanning’ because the ink has spread outwards like a fan unfolding across the tattooed area, leaving the lines crooked.

If it has been done extremely badly and the ink falls out leaving only a shadow behind this is nicknamed a ‘sieve flush’ because the pigment has drained from the holes in the tattoo, because they were far too shallow.

This is usually the sign of an inexperienced tattooist.

If you tattoo too deeply there is a risk of the tattoo can become infected as you are causing the wound to go deeper, and bleed more heavily.

Other issues are that by going too deep can tear the lower dermis so that the ink cannot hold in the individual holes but fills the tear beneath the surface.

This can in some cases lead to what is known as a ‘blow out’. It is very similar to line bleeding but can be more pronounced as the ink balloons outwards creating an almost outer shading effect that blotches the line.

Heavy scabbing is also a sign that the tattooist may have gone too deep into the skin.

Once it is healed you can usually have the lines thickened out to repair it.

You checked and sure it is not just heavy bruising beneath the skin?

Take Care
    Matthew

Joker1
    Participant
    @joker1
    Sherav;42368 wrote:
    Can I ask what font style you used?

It was freehand, so no set font.

S. Neil

1. In a proper tattoo shop.

2. Has been tattooing for the last 5 or so years, 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year.

3. There’s just a tiny little blow-out on the top of the ‘t’, can’t really notice it unless you’re looking for it. It’s just below the collarbone.

4. Pretty sure it was a 7 liner (he was talking about where 7 needles meet into a point, if that’s what you mean?)

5. Haha nah it all hurt the same, maybe a little more over the sternum.

Definitely not a bruise. I’m going back next month to get it filled in, I’ll bring it to his attention and see what he can do about it, maybe thicken the lines like you said Sherav.

DSC00151.jpg

As you can see, I’m being pretty damn fussy

S.Neill
    Participant
    @s-neill

Okay, nice picture and not bad at all. Very simple to fix. Its right under the collarbone, which is a tight spot and easy to have this happen. Its no big deal now that I see the picture. 7 Liner this is easy to do also. If you’ll notice on the new pic there’s kind of a flat spot near where the lines meet. Have him round out that spot and thicken the line in the loop, color it in and you’ll never know. Good choice on artist it seems. Where the blow out occured is right near a bone on soft skin that is a little thinner than the rest, but its not bad and nothing to get upset about, simply point it out and fix it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.