Jesse Bird
    Participant
    @jesse-bird

So the concept was thought of for a long time, the sketch was quite good, yet the result is average at best. I am very dissapointed, for I thought of this idea for a long time and too carefuly to end up with a result I do not like.

All I can do now is hope I can improve the tattoo, so I’ll just show it to you in hopes the talented folks can suggest what can be done to get this tattoo to become a piece I can be proud of:

img0510t.th.jpg

I am mainly dissapointed with the bird, which was much lighter and gentle in the sketch, yet turned out so dark and uncoherent. The numbers were also supposed to be shadowed, yet were not. I am thinking of turning this tattoo to a bigger one, in order take the focus away from the bird, maybe continue with a bigger cloud scene. I have no idea what can be done to improve existing tattoos, I turn to you with hopes of making this experience a little better for me, seeing as this is my first tattoo.

Thanks in advance

illume666
    Participant
    @illume666

see what you mean, i really like the concept though!
    hopefully some can touch and add to make you happy with it!
    best of luck

Jesse Bird
    Participant
    @jesse-bird

Oh yes, I am quite content with the concept, yet there is a frustrating irony behind it. It is meant to remind me that life is short and I should really live it up, yet here I am with a mediocre tattoo that proves just the opposite, haha.

Anyway, I hope someone here with a good eye can suggest some improvement.
    Thanks though.

hoani
    Participant
    @hoani

Hey there, the pic here is better than in your other post, the shading is light enough to to improve on,the outline sets up the image,the bird is almost unrecognisable a little bolder perhaps and block out the other numbers leaving the number 12 as a solitary unit emphasising the bewitching hour and to strengthen the concept even more, ” TIME IS SHORT ” keep me in touch be interested in your progress good luck Hoani

Jesse Bird
    Participant
    @jesse-bird

Thank you for your reply Hoani
    so if I understand correctly by saying the bird is unrecongnizable you mean it’s hard to even understand that it is a bird? Do you have any specific suggestions as to what can be done to improve it?

hoani
    Participant
    @hoani

Hey there Jesse, yeah if the bird has significance it needs strengthening it is the focus point after all, its what you centre on and then your periferral vision takes over. good luck, Hoani

Chippie71
    Participant
    @chippie71

I too don’t think it’s as bad as you say, but I can see your point.
    Maybe some lighter shading on the bird in white would give it some depth, and bring it back to life.

Good luck.

Jesse Bird
    Participant
    @jesse-bird

A little update:

I have been to 5 different studios today, and about half of them said the tattoo is fine and they don’t think there is any work to be done on it. The other half said very little can be done, and kept asking me what exactly bothers me with it, and what exactly do I want done? I didn’t really know what to say, so I just said I want it improved, I want it to look better, yet I felt they were all kind of expecting me to describe exactly what they want I want them to do, but I’m not the artist, you know what I mean?

Anyway, the best response I got was from an artist who said he can improve the bird’s rear wing a bit, and darken the shadowing on the most inner clouds, where the rays begin to burst, and maybe work the tail’s bird. Once again I’m asking for your help, what exactly am I supposed to say? All I know is I want it too look better, yet how do I get the artist to realize what can be done to improve it? I was hoping to hear something like ‘Yeah, I can make that look better!.’ Didn’t think it would be so difficult.

hoani
    Participant
    @hoani

hey Jesse, the half that say its fine dont need the work, the rest want you to make the decision therefore your mistake. The problem with foto’s we dont really get to see your tat2 in its intirety clarity is important the people you visited saw your tat in the clear light of day, there is some ambiguity at one point you’re O.K. with it, in the next instant you want change , difficult to determine, good luck Hoani

Jesse Bird
    Participant
    @jesse-bird

Hi Hoani,
    there is no doubt about me wanting the tattoo improved, i’m not sure where you saw any ambiguity. What I mean is that to me, the tattoo looks unfixable, that is because I’m not an artist, so I was expecting the artist to tell me what should be improved, no the other way around. All I can say is I want a beautiful bird with awsome clouds and rays and a clock in the mix. Now that they are there, yet don’t look that good to me, I have no Idea what technical details I need to tell the artist should be improved. I figured he would see what can be done better, and that’s it, you know?

hoani
    Participant
    @hoani

Hey there Jesse, O.K.for what its worth here’s what i think, I would find a good artist get him to put it down on paper first that way you can make an informed decision as to where to go from there, any amendments can be made on the spot, you like its yours, you dont like start again there can be no mistake. Take the art work to an even better tattooist and apply the image good luck, Hoani

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.