driveshaft22
    @

Howdy folks, bought a tattoo kit from ebay, did 3 hours practice and this is my left leg. Its that easy. I couldnt get the greyshade to work like it did in the practice. Might be the crap ink and my not getting the mix right tho. can any experts give me some hints on greyscale work? like needle selection, ink type, speed, etc thanks. The pics are before, then 1 hour after, then 2 days after (today)

bigbud
    Participant
    @bigbud

get ready for a load of trouble
    about infection and the like
    fuckin ebay again
    there should be a site for self done tattoos with shit bought off ebay
    if you want tattoos go to the pro’s;)

driveshaft22
    @

Why would I get infection? Is it the shit inks? I used all the right shit. I havent been to a doc in 12yrs and dont get sick. Its lookin/feelin good so far. and this site is sponsored by ebay lol

driveshaft22
    @

Not really the kind of feedback I wanted but its a start

bigbud
    Participant
    @bigbud

thats not bad feedback (wait until the pro’s come online)
    if you like it thats all that matters

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi Drive

What Bigbud is getting at is that unless you use disposable inks, tube, needles etc you can get hit by infection by using them again, as they collect bacteria and pathogens from lying around a non sterile area. I would suggest looking at the home studio thread for more details.

But onto the tattoo…

Actually as a first attempt I like it. If you don’t mind I will add some constructive criticisms;

The horns and wings have a very slight wobble (but prob as working on self). I would suggest maybe adding a little more outer shading to them and this will bring out the best.

Personal taste but maybe add some pupils and a little more definition to the mouth – forked tongue or fangs would look great.

Maybe some shadowing where the claws are so it looks like it is gripping the skin would also rock.

I can see that you have a lot of talent as an artist because frankly many first self done tattoos I have seen are god-awful this one isn’t and has a lot of potential.

Take Care

Matthew

tattman91
    Participant
    @tattman91

thats pretty damn good for a first try.. although it probebly wasnt the smartest way to go about it… good luck to you in teh future…

driveshaft22
    @
    Sherav;35407 wrote:
    Hi Drive

What Bigbud is getting at is that unless you use disposable inks, tube, needles etc you can get hit by infection by using them again, as they collect bacteria and pathogens from lying around a non sterile area. I would suggest looking at the home studio thread for more details.

But onto the tattoo…

Actually as a first attempt I like it. If you don’t mind I will add some constructive criticisms;

The horns and wings have a very slight wobble (but prob as working on self). I would suggest maybe adding a little more outer shading to them and this will bring out the best.

Personal taste but maybe add some pupils and a little more definition to the mouth – forked tongue or fangs would look great.

Maybe some shadowing where the claws are so it looks like it is gripping the skin would also rock.

I can see that you have a lot of talent as an artist because frankly many first self done tattoos I have seen are god-awful this one isn’t and has a lot of potential.

Take Care

Matthew

I did use all the disposables – Gloves, paper towel, ink cups, needles, tips. and cleaned the f^% outa everything. Including myself with antibacterial disinfectant. my only concern Is the quality of the ink. What processes did they put it thru to screen it for baddies.

As for the wobbles.. well I was a bit nervous. Its all good to say.. yeah its just a tat.. but when you ve got the gun in hand about to start inking yourself, reality kicks in. lol
    I wiped most of the transfer off durring the first 10 mins so theres a few lines out of place, and the front wing I ran outa ink and didnt know and had to go over it (and Missed the first line)
    The eyes are meant to be red and the mouth yellow, btw he does have fangs already. Ill get to those details next time.

I was only 1/4 of the wayt thru shading and stopped. The wash was either goin in nearly black or not at all. so I thought id figure out why before continuin and makin a mess. What are the best needles for grey wash to start on? And Machine speed?

Thanks for the help.

Heres a better pic, you still cant see the fangs verywell tho

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk
    driveshaft22;35412 wrote:
    I did use all the disposables – Gloves, paper towel, ink cups, needles, tips. and cleaned the f^% outa everything. Including myself with antibacterial disinfectant. my only concern Is the quality of the ink. What processes did they put it thru to screen it for baddies.

As for the wobbles.. well I was a bit nervous. Its all good to say.. yeah its just a tat.. but when you ve got the gun in hand about to start inking yourself, reality kicks in. lol
    I wiped most of the transfer off durring the first 10 mins so theres a few lines out of place, and the front wing I ran outa ink and didnt know and had to go over it (and Missed the first line)
    The eyes are meant to be red and the mouth yellow, btw he does have fangs already. Ill get to those details next time.

I was only 1/4 of the wayt thru shading and stopped. The wash was either goin in nearly black or not at all. so I thought id figure out why before continuin and makin a mess. What are the best needles for grey wash to start on? And Machine speed?

Thanks for the help.

Heres a better pic, you still cant see the fangs verywell tho

Okay, first things first. If you’re going to say “fuck”, then fucking well say “fuck”.

Here I’ll do it for you:

FUCK!

Seriously, when you censor your curse words all it does is make you look either like a twelve year old who isn’t allowed to cuss, or someone with such a small vocabulary that even though they think they shouldn’t cuss, they can’t express themselves without it.

Now, onto the post. You got the response you did because most of us here hate what we, and most of the serious tattoo community, refer to as “scratchers”. Scratchers are guys who work out of their basement with tattoo guns they bought at a flea market or off ebay and know exactly jack shit about how to apply a tattoo without hurting someone, and even less about hygiene.

Most of us know people in real life who’ve been hurt by these amateur ass mother fuckers, as the over whelming majority of them are useless, tattooing too deeply, spreading blood born pathogens, and giving just plain shitty looking tattoos.

You appear not to be entirely useless, as for a first tattoo in a basement that’s actually pretty good, but I’m going to reserve judgement until we see if you get arm herpes or not.

Also, if the other scratcher threads I’ve seen are any indication, the official policy of the site is that scratchers suck, and giving them tattooing advice (i.e. machine speed, ect.) gets a thread locked if a mod sees it.

Seriously though dude, if you’re half serious about this tattoo thing, your ass needs to go get apprenticed by a real life professional. Otherwise you’re always going to be the scum of the tattoo world, and deservingly so.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

markus696979
    Participant
    @markus696979

see the whole view on scratchers cracks me up, Its almost like racial profiling. Just because a guy is doin tats on himself and can’t afford 300$ on one machine he gets a bad rap. I do understand yes there are people out there that don’t know there ass from a hole in the wall when it comes to tattooing. And i’ve seen my share of home grown doozies.

But there are people tattooing in studios right now that are self taught! Yes it is true I personally know someone who worked at a shop locally that was self taught WOuld still proplly be workin there if dude … wasn’t…..a …….. crackhead lol.

neways the point i’m gettin at is in the begining of time way back when tattooing all started do you really think these people when to there local shop and had a apprenticship? No they self taught (obviously there wasn’t neone to learn from) an they weren’t scratchers ….. they were visionaries.

Its the people that teach themselves that don’t take the time to hone the great art of sterilization an cross contamination (an the art itself) that we should be mad at.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Just to move off thread for a sec…

‘Okay, first things first. If you’re going to say “fuck”, then fucking well say “fuck”.

Here I’ll do it for you:

FUCK!’

KH I felt that you were holding back a little on your feelings – you know we have talked about this reluctance to speak your mind! (LMAO) 😀

Back on thread…

Hi Markus/Drive
    What is being said that is that the site does not want to encourage people with no idea or clue on using the machine and hygiene basics jumping on and getting notes on how to try and tattoo that would end up with a nasty dose of Hep or HIV to whoever is silly enough to get inked for the price of a pack of cigs. (I am not saying that you as individuals would do this but the forum is public info on a popular site).

Getting apprenticed is one of the hardest things to do and yes many do start out as self trained. Sadly though for every self-taught there is a dozen muppet ‘scratchers’ which will cause a hostile reaction.

With regards to your career Drive I am sure that if you build a portfolio of your spray work and flashwork/drawings that you will be able to get advice or apprenticeship from an artist if you decided to go that route.

I would really recommend doing some basic courses in blood pathogens, contanimation disposal and how to handle spills etc just to build your knowledge as it is an essential area.

Take Care
    Matthew

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink

Okay my 2 peso’s lol. For a first go without any practice i think you have done extremely well.

Now…. Do an online course on cross contamination, BBP”s etc, research everything you can, DO NOT TATTOO ANYONE!!!!!!! If you want to tattoo yourself thats your perogative. You are lucky you havent been jumped on in this forum also.

I am a self taught artist, an apprenticeship was not an option for me. I have a studio and am in the process of opening another one. BUT!!!!!!! I did a shitload of reasearch on EVERYTHING!!!

You made the mistake of saying how easy it is, it is NOT. It takes years to learn the right techniques and YOU NEVER stop learning. If it is at all possible seek out an apprenticeship and do it the RIGHT way.

I have a friend that contracted HEP C from a scratcher and now has a death sentence and has 3 kids and is only 33 but has the energy of an 80 yr old and will not live long.

I wouldnt be posting anymore pics up if i were you, or asking any questions, find a forum that actually helps people to tattoo, this is a tattoo discussion forum, not a learn to tattoo forum.

dirkster
    Participant
    @dirkster

you did that yourself? WoW, AWESOME!

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk
    Sherav;35435 wrote:
    KH I felt that you were holding back a little on your feelings – you know we have talked about this reluctance to speak your mind! (LMAO) 😀

I know, I’m such a shrinking violet! I just can’t get over this crippling fear of public speaking! *blushes*

But you’ve been such an inspiration to me, Matthew, the way you always say exactly what’s on your mind. One day, God willing, all be as brave as you!

*hugs!*

Izz, you’re self-taught? Okay, I’m a bit impressed. From your gallery and the way you talk, you know what’s up, but every scratcher I’ve met in real life has been a freaking mess. I had a friend that started doing tattooing out of his basement when he was fifteen–he bought his gun from a flea market by saving up his allowance if you can believe it. Even then I knew better than to get ink from a scratcher, but god did he mess some people up, reusing needles, inking too deep, and god knows what all. He eventually got a job when he turned 17 at a shop called Heavens, which notorious in these parts for giving people hep C and blood borne diseases. It eventually went out of buissness when my artist moved his shop into town basically next store and people saw you could get ink without getting arm herpes.

When Heavens closed down, my friend got an aprenticeship with an artist at my guy’s shop, and it took him more than two years to unlearn all the stupid shit he’d been doing since he was 15. Took him longer than that before the shop owner would let him work unsupervised. I’m convinced if he didn’t have the best weed in town, they never would have tolerated him.

Hell, I *still* won’t let him work on me, even though he’s produced some of the most killer inks I’ve ever seen in the last coupla years.

Oh, another and more pointed scratcher story! I know I told this one here before, so skip ahead if you’ve heard it before.

Well, a couple years ago, my cousin Monkey Spot (so named for the patch of monkey fur on his forehead) wanted to get a snarling rottwhiler with chain coming off of it on his wrist, and wanted to see this shop I’m always sending people to. So, I rolled him up there, make introductions, and stepped back and let them work their shit out.

Problem was, when it came down to price, my artist wanted $250, and Monkey Spot’s head exploded. He said he had a buddy who’d do it out of his basement for $40. My artist tried to talk him out of it, but Monkey Spot wasn’t listening as my man was obviously trying to gyp him, and I should be ashamed of myself for being in on ripping my family off.

I didn’t see Monkey Spot for about six months after that. I saw why. He got his ink, but it looked less like a rott and more like a amorphous blob. And here’s the kicker:

The artist, who was apparentaly half drunk, messed a line up pretty freakin badly. Now, instead of trying to work it into the design, he instead took his tattoo gun and scribbled it out, just like you would in elementary school when you misspelled something and didn’t have an eraser!

Monkey Spot walked around with that for two full years before he shamefacedly went back to my guy and got it covered.

For $800.

This is why scratchers pretty much universally suck…and why I’m slightly more impressed with Izz now.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

driveshaft22
    @

wow, I didnt realise you lot were so pationate about this “backyard” stuff.

A few things about me.

Im self taught at almost everything. Research and understanding go a long way.

Im a boilermaker and a Mechanic by trade and have no wish to become an apprentice. (not to mention how hard it seems to be taken on as one)

Ive been an artist an a musician my whole life and switching to tats just feels natural.

I have a very good respect for my health and dont plan on getting sick cause of a FUCKING tattoo ( happy now im swearing? some forums dont allow it thats why the other ^%$)

My long term girl freind has a deg in medicine!

“You made the mistake of saying how easy it is, it is NOT”.. sorry mate but Its easy for me. Ive studied technical and perspective drawing and watercolour as well as charcoal, pastels and airbrushing. not to mention the thousands of hours put in to practicing.

I dont take drugs of any sort or drink alcohol

Im not just a young shit for brains, makin a mess of people. This is just one more skill added to my long list.

So I might be another Backyard scratcher, but I think theres a few things that set me apart from the rest.

I think one other thing and the most important thing that Ive missed is the HUGE amount of tattoos ive seen people and friends get done by “pros” that are fucking terrible!! oh man! I could biuld a whole new topic just on the shit ones Ive seen in the last 2 weeks. There are plenty of fantastic artist out there who are pros and there are just as many ham fisted illiterates calling themselves pros cause they did a stupid fkn appreticship.

So thanks for all the good feedback and fuck you all who said dont post anymore stuff like this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
    • The topic ‘first self done tat’ is closed to new replies.