Talltexan89
    Participant
    @talltexan89

I’m a competitive swimmer and am in the water training usually around 4 hours a day. Its chlorinated water and I was wondering how long I need to stay out of the water after getting my first tattoo. And if there is a possible protection to put on the tat to keep the chlorine and water from destroying it. i have heard of a trick of cutting off the tip of a condom and slipping it over the arm to cover the tat and protect it. would this work? or do i just need to stay out of the pool? thanks for your help.

-Steven

sharp shorty
    Participant
    @sharp-shorty

You should stay out of the pool for two to three weeks, that gives the tattoo enough time to heal over and cannot be penatrated by the liquid. Chlorine and other chemicals are very bad for a tattoo. Even though a tattoo looks healed after a couple of weeks, it really is not. It takes up to 4 to 6 weeks for the tattoo to be completely healed. Good Luck!

Talltexan89
    Participant
    @talltexan89

hey thanks for your help. hopefully i can find some break in the season to be able to take about 3 weeks out of the water.

sharp shorty
    Participant
    @sharp-shorty

No problem, Good Luck!

scrubmuncher
    Participant
    @scrubmuncher

Dedicated man!!! lots of swimming?
    I’d stay out, if not only for your sake then for others as well. Wouldn’t be nice to be swimming in the same pool with an open wound (pretty much the same as getting stitches and going swimming imo, light surgery, breaking the skin) as someone else with an infectous rife disease (I know not likely to happen and very very small chance of contraction if any) 2 open wounds can make transmision very easy though and not worth the risk. These days bugs are very very strong and are immune to alot of things we throw at them to stop this, but still the build up and immunity on these little bastards is continuing.
    Good luck with the swimming:D

tallcoolone
    Participant
    @tallcoolone

I say stay out of the pool for 3-4 weeks. Chlorinated water is bad for a new tattoo. When you do get back in the pool I would keep a thin layer of A&D ointment on it to keep it moist and protected for the first week or so since chlorine has a very drying effect.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.