nga117
Participant
@nga117

Hi guys!

I’m planning a piece based on this painting by Hakuin Ekaku:

MonkeyMoon2.jpg

Would the tattoo artist be annoyed by having to copy a painting?

Thanks
-Alex

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

Welcome to the forum!

Copying things is a touchy subject. You can find those that will copy anything, but responsible tattooers won’t touch a piece that maybe “copy-written” and lead to a possible law suit. Most responsible tattooers like to design their art. Give them a few ideas, and they’ll come up with a piece designed specifically to your body.

Keep us posted.

Call_me_Lola
Participant
@call_me_lola

I’ve seen where tattoo artists post work and credit the artist of the original artwork. Or where they got permission from the artist (clearly not possible in tnis case).

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Yes stealing is cool

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

As long as you aren’t copying someone else’s tattoo, you will be fine.

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

I know of a lot of people who have found a real connection with an existing piece of artwork. So many people these days are getting Banksy inspired tattoos or Gustav Klimt back pieces. I don’t think that there is anything wrong with this provided no one is pretending its an original piece/concept/idea. Personally I would always rather have something unique. I think that original images are never going to be as good when you attempt to replicate them and somewhat spoils my enjoyment of them, but itf that’s what you want then that’s entirely up to you!

MattInked
Participant
@mattinked

I have known some Tattoo artist who will do a tattoo from an image that the client brings in. My current artists will only Tattoo things that she creates. So I think it depends on the artist.

nga117
Participant
@nga117

Thanks for the responses everyone,

I think I’ll wait another 6 months or so (I make it a rule to wait at least a year after inception before committing to a tattoo), in the meantime, I’ll talk this over with my artist of choice. Maybe she will love the idea (or hate it), who knows.

If I do get it, expect pics 😉

MagicMike
Participant
@magicmike

Is that an actual count of hours tattooing?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.