Anthony DiLucido
    Participant
    @anthony-dilucido

I’m interested in getting another tattoo. I already have a special cross on my right shoulder blade that means a lot to me and I’m hoping I can figure out an idea that means a lot for my second tat. Any suggestions or locations of where I should get it? Im a male with a rather small build. I was thinking of getting the quote “Oel Ngati Kameie” which means I see you but in a spiritual way. Its from a movie so I don’t know if people will think that’s stupid? Any opinions?

Amok
    Participant
    @amok

@Anthony DiLucido 140662 wrote:

I don’t know if people will think that’s stupid? Any opinions?

I’m afraid just about any movie quote will be stupid. In fact most quotes are. Why not get a real piece of art instead? Your skin isn’t a piece of paper.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

I idea that means a lot for my second tat. Any suggestions or locations of where I should get it? Im a male with a rather small build. I was thinking of getting the quote “Oel Ngati Kameie” . Its from a movie so I don’t know if people will think that’s stupid?

You’re looking for something that “means a lot” and you’re going to get a movie quote? Go get that on a t shirt.
    Why do tattoos have to mean anything?

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

I think it’s stupid since you asked.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Anthony DiLucido
    Participant
    @anthony-dilucido

@buttwheat 140670 wrote:

Why do tattoos have to mean anything?

I just feel like if I’m going to get something that’ll be on my skin forever I want it to mean something to me

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@Anthony DiLucido 140681 wrote:

I just feel like if I’m going to get something that’ll be on my skin forever I want it to mean something to me

Why lol?

Stop watching Miami Ink!

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

@peterpoose 140686 wrote:

Why lol?

Stop watching Miami Ink!

Yes ever since Miami/LA ink everybody thinks they need some deep meaning bullshit for their tattoo.
    When I applied to be on a show they wanted to know the meaning behind the tattoo , I made up a douche bag story they bought it hook line and sinker.

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

@Anthony DiLucido 140681 wrote:

Oh, I *HATE* it when people insist tattoos have to have some deeper meaning. It misses the point of tattoos entirely, and it also causes people with mediocre or worse ink to defend their pieces to the death, as if the anthropomorphic dick riding a skateboard, smoking a bong applied to their right ass cheek by a half blind little person strung out on crystal meth gains some sort of legitimacy just because they got it for their bro who died last month in a freak gasoline fight accident.

In any medium, once an artist exhibits a piece, they lose control of it. Any and every person who comes to a piece will bring in their own personal experience and life with them, and that will color how they perceive the piece. Some artists try to control this, by writing explanations and manifestos. These artists are failures. They make their art less than it is. The more explanation your piece needs, the more of a failure it is. Art exists to elicit a gut level reaction. To grab you by the balls and say “FEEL SOMETHING, YOU FUCKING CUNT!”. Monet’s waterlilies forces you to slow down, sit, and examine the colors and the light. A good song, say by Rancid, makes you smile. Hell, even Kiss My Royal Irish Ass by Cheryl Donegan or Piss Christ makes you feel something, and that’s the point. To shake you out of the stupor of everyday life, of bills and responsibilities.

In short, art exists to be awesome.

I’ve got two tattoos that have meaning to me. I have Gossamer sitting on a stool crying on my thigh, and an imagine of Calvin and Hobbs walking away, with the caption, “You’ll find love there” on my neck. Both have deep personal meaning to me, but I rarely, if ever speak of what those meanings are. Those supposed meanings do not matter to anyone but me. To everyone else, they are what they really are: well designed pieces by my man Troy Coe at Lambadi City Tattoos. That’s what matters. The craft, the skill, and the solid design. That’s all anyone who ain’t lived my life can see.

In short, tattoos don’t need meaning. They need craft and design. Anything else is LA Ink bullshit, and those guys all make us look like assholes.

Love. Peace. Metallic.

ezrider
    Participant
    @ezrider

@KnightHawk 140702 wrote:

Those supposed meanings do not matter to anyone but me.

Well said…I have a couple that have meaning to me the rest of them just popped into my head one day and I though “yeah, that shit would look good” so I got em. I have honestly never had anyone look at any of my tattoos and say ooh that’s cool, what does it mean.

Most people here don’t go for the quote tattoos, and Sam is right a picture is worth a thousand words. Talk to your artist and tell them what you are trying to accomplish with your tattoo. Let them draw up something badass for you, or hell get a quote if its what you really want because in the end its your fucking skin and who cares what we or anyone else think about it as long as you like it and its what you want.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@KnightHawk 140702 wrote:

Oh, I *HATE* it when people insist tattoos have to have some deeper meaning. It misses the point of tattoos entirely, and it also causes people with mediocre or worse ink to defend their pieces to the death, as if the anthropomorphic dick riding a skateboard, smoking a bong applied to their right ass cheek by a half blind little person strung out on crystal meth gains some sort of legitimacy just because they got it for their bro who died last month in a freak gasoline fight accident.

In any medium, once an artist exhibits a piece, they lose control of it. Any and every person who comes to a piece will bring in their own personal experience and life with them, and that will color how they perceive the piece. Some artists try to control this, by writing explanations and manifestos. These artists are failures. They make their art less than it is. The more explanation your piece needs, the more of a failure it is. Art exists to elicit a gut level reaction. To grab you by the balls and say “FEEL SOMETHING, YOU FUCKING CUNT!”. Monet’s waterlilies forces you to slow down, sit, and examine the colors and the light. A good song, say by Rancid, makes you smile. Hell, even Kiss My Royal Irish Ass by Cheryl Donegan or Piss Christ makes you feel something, and that’s the point. To shake you out of the stupor of everyday life, of bills and responsibilities.

In short, art exists to be awesome.

I’ve got two tattoos that have meaning to me. I have Gossamer sitting on a stool crying on my thigh, and an imagine of Calvin and Hobbs walking away, with the caption, “You’ll find love there” on my neck. Both have deep personal meaning to me, but I rarely, if ever speak of what those meanings are. Those supposed meanings do not matter to anyone but me. To everyone else, they are what they really are: well designed pieces by my man Troy Coe at Lambadi City Tattoos. That’s what matters. The craft, the skill, and the solid design. That’s all anyone who ain’t lived my life can see.

In short, tattoos don’t need meaning. They need craft and design. Anything else is LA Ink bullshit, and those guys all make us look like assholes.

Love. Peace. Metallic.

Great post!

Amok
    Participant
    @amok

@buttwheat 140690 wrote:

Yes ever since Miami/LA ink everybody thinks they need some deep meaning bullshit for their tattoo.
    When I applied to be on a show they wanted to know the meaning behind the tattoo , I made up a douche bag story they bought it hook line and sinker.

Did you get on? If so, got a link to said episode?

Dan
    Participant
    @dan

I’m interested in getting another tattoo. I already have a special cross on my right shoulder blade that means a lot to me and I’m hoping I can figure out an idea that means a lot for my second tat. Any suggestions or locations of where I should get it? Im a male with a rather small build. I was thinking of getting the quote “Oel Ngati Kameie” which means I see you but in a spiritual way. Its from a movie so I don’t know if people will think that’s stupid? Any opinions?

why does a tattoo have to have “a lot of meaning” ? why not just get a cool design or art work that you just like ?!

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

@Amok 140718 wrote:

Did you get on? If so, got a link to said episode?

I got through the first 3 stages of casting then they wanted a 3 to 5 minute video of myself then I just said fuck it. I didn’t want to make a tape and couldn’t afford the time off work and the travel (they don’t pay for shit).
    Epic Ink premier August 20th, 10:30pm est on A&E. It has Heather Maranda and Chris Fucking Jones on it. sad now I didn’t follow through

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

It was a tough choice butt.

Perhaps later. At least you live on the West Coast.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.