0hmanda
    Participant
    @0hmanda

I’ve mentioned before that I want one of my next tattoos to be a large piece across my back. In developing my ideas, I want an abstract sun and some floral design. I don’t want the flora to extend all the way to the sun, but I want it to be clear that it’s one piece. I have a list of specific flowers that I’d like included in the tattoo, and a general idea of the layout, but I want to give my ideas to an artist and just let him do his thing and make it beautiful. That being said, I’m starting to accumulate a bunch of references that I’d like to give an artist (I haven’t chosen one for sure yet), and I’m wondering if having several references would be too restrictive for an artist. I have an idea of what I want, but I don’t have my heart set on any specifics except for the sun and the flowers. I was telling a friend about it and she drew up a basic layout that I really like:
    1433vr6.jpg
    That being said, I don’t want this to be my tattoo. I want my tattoo to be something with a design laid out similarly, but done by an artist who is an expert on making art look good on the human body. Does anyone have opinions or advice for me as far as references go (or anything else, for that matter)?

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

@0hmanda 140308 wrote:

Does anyone have opinions or advice for me as far as references go (or anything else, for that matter)?

Yes find a great tattooist and tell them what you said here and have them draw it up for you then have them tattoo it on you.

0hmanda
    Participant
    @0hmanda

@buttwheat 140311 wrote:

Yes find a great tattooist and tell them what you said here and have them draw it up for you then have them tattoo it on you.

So there’s nothing fundamentally wrong with having an idea but having no idea at the same damn time? Awesome.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

No not at all. I think some of the best tattoos come form giving the artist as much freedom as possible. The worst ones are when the customer is locked into a particle design or picture.

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

I see nothing wrong with bringing in a shit ton of reference material to show the artist roughly where your head’s at (“I love this kind of pale blue but hate that kind of blue” and so on), but definitely let him do his thing with it all. If you choose a tattoo ARTIST, you will get a piece of art on you, and it will be so much better than anything you decided yourself ๐Ÿ™‚

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@0hmanda 140308 wrote:

I don’t want this to be my tattoo. I want my tattoo to be something with a design laid out similarly, but done by an artist who is an expert on making art look good on the human body.

This is the way to get good tattoos.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

Agree with others, of course bring references so they get a better idea of your likes. Letting a GOOD artist have freedom is a good thing to do ๐Ÿ™‚

Do you have an artist in mind?

0hmanda
    Participant
    @0hmanda

SORRY it took me two damn weeks to reply…I got locked out of the forum somehow, which was incredibly irritating.

@peterpoose 140325 wrote:

Agree with others, of course bring references so they get a better idea of your likes. Letting a GOOD artist have freedom is a good thing to do ๐Ÿ™‚

Do you have an artist in mind?

I’ve been sort of shopping around. I’m in Maryland, and I’ve been sort of stalking your famous list trying to find someone that suits the style I want, but it’s proving to be a bit of a challenge for me to figure out exactly what the style I want is, if that makes sense. I want some of the floral aspects to be realistic, but I want the tattoo itself to be abstract to a point, or at least I think. And seeing as I’m a tattoo noob, trying to figure out which artist to choose is a challenge for me.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Halo’s shop is in Maryland. He’s done some great work, but since being on Ink Masters, he may be tough to get.

0hmanda
    Participant
    @0hmanda

@Sam-I-Am 140509 wrote:

Halo’s shop is in Maryland. He’s done some great work, but since being on Ink Masters, he may be tough to get.

I’ve looked into him a bit, as I like his work a lot as well. He does have quite a lengthy wait list, and also picks and chooses the pieces he wants to do, so getting him may end up being a bit of a challenge.

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

If you think that you want him to do it, send a request. Your idea may be something that he is interested in. Or even excited to do.

0hmanda
    Participant
    @0hmanda

@Call_me_Lola 140511 wrote:

If you think that you want him to do it, send a request. Your idea may be something that he is interested in. Or even excited to do.

True. I suppose there’s no harm done by trying.

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

@0hmanda 140507 wrote:

but it’s proving to be a bit of a challenge for me to figure out exactly what the style I want is, if that makes sense.

That makes perfect sense ๐Ÿ™‚

Sorry that you got locked out, but glad that it’s fixed now at least.

0hmanda
    Participant
    @0hmanda

@ArniVidar 140514 wrote:

That makes perfect sense ๐Ÿ™‚

Sorry that you got locked out, but glad that it’s fixed now at least.

Thanks!

It’s all good. Sometimes the Internet has a heart attack and the best thing to do is wait it out.

ponyboytattoos
    Participant
    @ponyboytattoos

I know personally my best work is when someone comes to me knowing what I love to do. Figure out the style you want it in and go to an artist that does that. Realism, newschool, traditional, there are experts everywhere in every style but if you go into a shop with no idea of who is going to work on you you’re more likely to get something you aren’t find of. Also have enough money to drop a deposit when approaching an artist. Some people don’t think about having to pay for the drawing. The worst thing is when someone comes in asking “you guys do tats? How much for a sleeve?” Lol good luck on your hunt for a great artist!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.