ArniVidar
    @arnividar

Thanks Peter.

Gunnar and Sindri are both very excellent apprentices. I’ve been watching them carefully, and they are just improving in leaps and bounds. Neither of them seems to do much actual character design, however, which is essential since no reference material exist for either my phoenix or my dragon.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@ArniVidar 135435 wrote:

Thanks Peter.

Gunnar and Sindri are both very excellent apprentices. I’ve been watching them carefully, and they are just improving in leaps and bounds. Neither of them seems to do much actual character design, however, which is essential since no reference material exist for either my phoenix or my dragon.

I think they do awesome work but I see your point ๐Ÿ™‚

Well maybe thats the next step for them and judging by the artwork I see they should have no problems drawing you up something?

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

@peterpoose 135436 wrote:

judging by the artwork I see they should have no problems drawing you up something?

How do you figure that? The ability to recreate something faithfully from reference materials has absolutely no bearing on the ability to create things from thin air.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@ArniVidar 135439 wrote:

How do you figure that? The ability to recreate something faithfully from reference materials has absolutely no bearing on the ability to create things from thin air.

lol Well you need to be a bit more positive in life! You are assuming they cannot do it without even asking or trying?

Most tattoo artists that are any good can draw!

At this rate you will never get another tattoo lol ๐Ÿ™‚

Amok
    Participant
    @amok

Less thinking more inking!

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

As I say.. just because you can DRAW does not mean you can CREATE.

I need to see a lot of really good ORIGINAL work from people before I go to them and let them create what exists only in my head ๐Ÿ˜‰

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@ArniVidar 135468 wrote:

As I say.. just because you can DRAW does not mean you can CREATE.

I need to see a lot of really good ORIGINAL work from people before I go to them and let them create what exists only in my head ๐Ÿ˜‰

I dont think there is an artist on the planet that can recreate what is in someones elses head ๐Ÿ™‚

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@peterpoose 135470 wrote:

I dont think there is an artist on the planet that can recreate what is in someones elses head ๐Ÿ™‚

If it is in somebody else’s head it is already created. Then the artist would deliver the artwork using his creative ability.

“There’s someone in my head but it’s not me” (Pink Floyd)

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@Sam-I-Am 135473 wrote:

If it is in somebody else’s head it is already created. Then the artist would deliver the artwork using his creative ability.

“There’s someone in my head but it’s not me” (Pink Floyd)

Which would probably differ from whats in your head lol

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

There will always be some sort of reference material. If not as you imagine, but for smaller parts there may be! All depends on the artists visual gallery in their head. You can easily draw a phoenix out of thin air if you’ve done 20 phoenixes based on a number of sources and references. Eventually they’ll have no problem picking parts here and there, knowing what works, how the body should be, how wings work/look the best etc, and be able to manipulate it and change it to suit you.
    I think a lot of artists don’t necessarily get the chance to draw something completely original so often, but many would probably love the challenge! ๐Ÿ™‚
    Maybe you’ll become their favorite client ;D

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

@peterpoose 135470 wrote:

Fair point, but the general idea exists in my head, and I need a proper artist that can understand what I’m telling them and can “see” what I’m wanting them to create. To facilitate this I need an artist that enjoys creating art in the realistic fantasy genre (Luis Royo, Anne Stokes and Boris Vallejo are some examples of this genre), is extraordinarily capable in anatomy and detail work, is willing to work with me to create MY vision since I am utterly incapable of doing that my self, AND is a fantastically good tattooist as well ๐Ÿ˜€

@poxphobia 135478 wrote:

There will always be some sort of reference material. If not as you imagine, but for smaller parts there may be! All depends on the artists visual gallery in their head.

Well I guess that’s true. I mean, you have the general anatomy of any animal, ideas on different types of limbs and facial expressions and so forth, and you work with that reference material to come up with something new. Dragons, obviously, have some general characteristics that are well “known”, so my dragon would therefore be indirectly derived from all those references.

@poxphobia 135478 wrote:

You can easily draw a phoenix out of thin air if you’ve done 20 phoenixes based on a number of sources and references. Eventually they’ll have no problem picking parts here and there, knowing what works, how the body should be, how wings work/look the best etc, and be able to manipulate it and change it to suit you.

I’ve never seen a Phoenix that fits my image of what a Phoenix should look like, so an artist that’s drawn hundreds of Phoenixes already is probably be too stuck on the whole wide-feathered, peacocky type of bird that most people call a Phoenix. I don’t want anyone to change a peacock so it become my Phoenix… I want them to invent a “proper” Phoenix ๐Ÿ˜€

@poxphobia 135478 wrote:

I think a lot of artists don’t necessarily get the chance to draw something completely original so often, but many would probably love the challenge! ๐Ÿ™‚
    Maybe you’ll become their favorite client ;D

Yeah, I expect you’re absolutely correct. I wouldn’t do business with a tattoo artist unless they were truly psyched about working with me and creating something new. Should they succeed, they would sure as shit become my favorite tattoo artist ๐Ÿ˜€

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@ArniVidar 135484 wrote:

Fair point, but the general idea exists in my head, and I need a proper artist that can understand what I’m telling them and can “see” what I’m wanting them to create. To facilitate this I need an artist that enjoys creating art in the realistic fantasy genre (Luis Royo, Anne Stokes and Boris Vallejo are some examples of this genre), is extraordinarily capable in anatomy and detail work, is willing to work with me to create MY vision since I am utterly incapable of doing that my self, AND is a fantastically good tattooist as well ๐Ÿ˜€

Well I guess that’s true. I mean, you have the general anatomy of any animal, ideas on different types of limbs and facial expressions and so forth, and you work with that reference material to come up with something new. Dragons, obviously, have some general characteristics that are well “known”, so my dragon would therefore be indirectly derived from all those references.

I’ve never seen a Phoenix that fits my image of what a Phoenix should look like, so an artist that’s drawn hundreds of Phoenixes already is probably be too stuck on the whole wide-feathered, peacocky type of bird that most people call a Phoenix. I don’t want anyone to change a peacock so it become my Phoenix… I want them to invent a “proper” Phoenix ๐Ÿ˜€

Yeah, I expect you’re absolutely correct. I wouldn’t do business with a tattoo artist unless they were truly psyched about working with me and creating something new. Should they succeed, they would sure as shit become my favorite tattoo artist ๐Ÿ˜€

I am intrigued by what it is you have in your head ๐Ÿ™‚

Pretend I am the artist and describe all the points? ๐Ÿ™‚

BertNaked
    Participant
    @bertnaked

Isn’t he kind of hiding out here in Norway now?
    Suck on that Iceland!

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

Hah, you’ll see it when I do.. it’s miles away from being clear to ME ๐Ÿ˜€

I really need to sit with the artist for an hour or so, just fleshing out ideas, them sketching stuff roughly on paper so I can see what I’m saying.
    As it stands today, the dragon piece is my backpiece. It’s an entire scene of a fight between a rather pissed off dragon and some other humanoid character of unknown shape and size, possibly some kind of knight in armor. Then the rest of the scene will be all sorts of other things that I like and will give the scene a dark aura. Moonlit sky, gnarly trees, half-eaten corpses, stuff like that. As I say, the artist and I will have to go through all that together. I’m a fan of B/G but I’m not going to say no to some muted colors if the artist feels that helps with the image. If that happens I will actually have to pick a color for the dragon, which will be absolute hell.

The Phoenix piece is even less clear. I know that it’s a sleeve (or a 3/4 sleeve or whatever you call one that doesn’t leave a suit shirt) and I know I want a very large, very menacing Phoenix rising from the flames. I don’t have the slightest idea what I could put on the rest of the sleeve, so I might have to just do a very vague ending around the Phoenix to make it easier to add onto it later.

The third piece in my head requires a whole different kind of artist. For that I need a Disney-grade cartoonist with excellent color control. That one will be fun and bright and colorful, and all Cartoons that I love, coexisting in one scene. I don’t mean one character here, some filler and another character there.. I need to design an entire scene where every character is interacting with another character and the surroundings. I have a huge problem with that piece in my head because there are simply too many characters to choose from, and only one (considering the amount of imagery, quite tiny) leg to put them on.

Since I have already ruined my right leg with a singular piece that has no real promise for extension into other pieces, I think I may end up treating that as more of a collage of things that don’t match anyway. If I could somehow incorporate my stone Taurus into a scene to make it flow better with a sleeve, that would obviously be better, but I’m not sweating it.
    Because of that, my next piece may be a Charon on the other side of my calf. That one would be B/G with only a few color highlights, probably in the glow from the lantern and possibly some other things. I really don’t know if I want eyes on him, but they would definitely be glowing then. As with the dragon, I will have a hard time choosing which color to use, because there are several that I really like.

My biggest problem, and it’s a first-world luxury problem for sure, is that I have at least 10 other ideas that I really want to get done, but only so much space to utilize. That means I have a hard time deciding what should go where, and how big it should be. The unexpected side benefit of that indecision, however, is that since I’ve been working my way out of dept for the past decade I will actually be able to AFFORD the tattoo that I get ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.