GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

As my artist gains more commercial popularity for his other art and tattoos, the longer his waits get. It kills me. I’ve sent my ideas and reference materials. I texted my week-long availability for threes usually works for us, and no reply yet waiting on quote for two days. I know he is busy with three jobs and he spoils me and accommodates me. Anyone else go nuts at the prospect of a wait, even if short?

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

My days off are Monday and Tuesday. These are usually slow days in tattoo shops so I have it pretty easy. Pretty much a standing appointment of four or five hours at a time. (when I stopped for six weeks I started jonesing though)

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Find someone new. Not to say “your artist” isn’t good but there is so many super talented tattooist out there why would you limit it to one person?
    Sorry I have always hated that term “my artist” it is like limiting yourself to one restaurant, Yep thats it I will only eat from chick-fil-a from now on.
    OK rant over

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

Waiting is part of the game im afraid. I agree with Butt get another artist in the mean time until he gets back to you ๐Ÿ™‚

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

@Sam-I-Am 133804 wrote:

My days off are Monday and Tuesday. These are usually slow days in tattoo shops so I have it pretty easy. Pretty much a standing appointment of four or five hours at a time. (when I stopped for six weeks I started jonesing though)

This is good. Ryan works in a couple different shops, and is slowly drifting toward a better one in Nashville, more and more time there.

@buttwheat 133807 wrote:

Find someone new. Not to say “your artist” isn’t good but there is so many super talented tattooist out there why would you limit it to one person?
    Sorry I have always hated that term “my artist” it is like limiting yourself to one restaurant, Yep thats it I will only eat from chick-fil-a from now on.
    OK rant over

You’re right.

@peterpoose 133809 wrote:

Waiting is part of the game im afraid. I agree with Butt get another artist in the mean time until he gets back to you ๐Ÿ™‚

Yeah. He did initially text me a couple days ago, but ignored initial replies with dates. I’m going to text him one more time, then go to another guy I know does solid work if he doesn’t respond by Monday. He’s a good guy, but I work long, hard hours, always tip 25%+, and bring donuts. I think I deserve the dignity of a reply with a quote and date/time.

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

Text I sent: I don’t know if you got the texts, but I am off Friday 18 – Wednesday 24. I know you’re busy, but send me back a quote, date, and time.

I’m giving it 24 hours. Great guy, but tired of it.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

Wouldn’t it be better to call? ๐Ÿ™‚
    I know with a LOT of artists, they might see your text while they’re working, and suddenly they have a lot to do, a lot happens, they get home to kids/family etc, and they just forget about it. It happens. I know the guys I worked with were terrible at this. They always recommended people came by the shop or called the assistant(aka me) and set up a time and date ๐Ÿ™‚
    And there is one thing… Being a great customer doesn’t save you from them being busy and forgetting. If you become more like a friend, you might actually get the “oh, she’s cool and patient, I don’t have to stress it yet”. Because it can be stress, when at the end of the day, you’ve worked long hours, just wanna get home, and you’ve got twenty people waiting for a response. Maybe you have some hours you know MIGHT get filled, but aren’t sure yet. Maybe you need to check with someone else first, and then you have to wait for them to answer, etc. Maybe he’s already booked up on those days, but is awaiting someone to pay a deposit etc, and doesn’t wanna give you false hope or a rejection? ๐Ÿ™‚ Oh, and if you’re asking for price as well, he might wanna have it drawn up first.

It’s fairly normal to have to wait 7-14 days for a proper date/time if you’re not talking to them directly! ๐Ÿ™‚

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

He actually called and woke my ass up with explanation. He’s had some family issues and some things were occurring and he was juggling. I asked if it was easier this Saturday, and he said yes. I knew something was up because he never does that and is always organized. We’ll get it done.

I don’t call because I find it rude to call when someone’s at work in my line of of work. Unless you’re bleeding out, you do not call me at work. We’ve had communication since I had the tiger done. Either way, I feel better. He’s a good man, and devoted to his work. (And I can trust him to cover my scars!)

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

Glad to hear it worked out! ๐Ÿ™‚
    See, it’s rarely about you not “deserving” a fast reply. It’s often fine to call, if they don’t pick up(which they rarely will), they know you called and will call you back as soon as they can ๐Ÿ™‚ But I see your point!

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

Yeah. We’ll have a date once he gets done today. I’d asked before and he said he prefers text. (I’m an emailer.) He always responds in 12 hours, so I thought maybe I said something or he was mad about the tip. He said $200- $240 in writingon the tattoo, and I tipped $60 on $240 because he didn’t make it look like a cheap $240 tattoo and brought donuts. Before, on the giant cover-up which was pricier, I always tipped $100 per session. Next time, I will call. And if he doesn’t give me a date by tonight, I’ll ring him back on my way to work. Hate to be a pest, but a promise is a promise. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Does that sound reasonable?

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

I don’t think you need to worry about the tipping ๐Ÿ™‚ Gotta say, we don’t tip tattoo artists here, so I have no idea what’s reasonable…
    I think I tipped 70$ on a 500$ tattoo, and I’m starting to realize that was quite little… :p But I had no idea!
    There is no real tipping culture here, maybe a little in restaurants/cabs but nothing else..

And now you know he had something going on and it had nothing to do with you, so you shouldn’t worry ๐Ÿ™‚

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

Tipping is customary in America whether it’s tattoo artists, prostitutes, or whatever. Just part of the culture I guess. If you contract a job from an individual rather than an organization, you tip minimally 15% unless the service was terrible.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

yeah, I luckily knew that when I was there! ๐Ÿ™‚ I sort of knew I should have tipped more, but I was so tired, confused etc, that it just ended up being the closest number… Haha. 30$ tax + 500$, so I ended at 600. He didn’t seem pissed anyways, I got the offer to hang around and watch a movie.

There was only one occasion I didn’t tip. I took a cab first from Ft. lauderdale to Dania Beach, and it came to 15$ or so. On the way back however… The meter was broken, and this cabbie was going on and on in the phone etc, and did some serious detours on the way there. He asked for 30$. Apparently, because we drove past an airtport(which I also did the other way!!) it was a flatrate on 25, but I came from 2mins down the road, so 30. He sure as hell didn’t get a tip. He was pissed of, I didn’t give a shit. I wasn’t even let off where I was going, just down the street and told to “figure it out”.
    Later on I was in another cab though, and this guy was so helpful, nice, patient(i hardly knew where I was going…), and awesome, so he got a huge tip.

I usually tip at bars etc, but the custom here is more the, don’t tip every time, but leave a larger tip at some point. If a beer is 37, I usually go for 40, unless I’m totally broke. If it’s 68 I figure they’re already ripping me of, so nope. Unless I know the bartender or they’re great or something, I’ll leave something bigger later on in the night ๐Ÿ™‚
    But no wonder – your wages in service minded professions suck as far as I’ve heard.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

When I first met Anthony (recommended by a co worker with lots of quality ink) he told me right off that he does not answer his phone. Only texts.
    He returns important texts pretty quick. Other ones perhaps not at all. He’s an artist! I don’t expect him to follow any normal rules of etiquette.
    I have a weird schedule and he’s offered to move other appointments to accommodate me. I refuse that. He was pressing me to get work done on a Wednesday. His normal day off, and my usual work day. I ended up calling in sick for a “dermatologist” appointment.
    Tipping him and Lindsay is just off the wall, governed mainly by what’s on me at the time.

As for a restaurant? Usually 20% cash (I don’t tip on a card because it’s nobody’s fucking business what I tip) However, I carry a supply of high quality professional cork screws and bottle openers. If I buy a bottle of wine and the server uses another’s corkscrew or opener I present them with their very own.

AND if you have a flat tire near Harrisburg and some fucked up tattooed freak comes up to you, it may be me. I have an air compressor and tire plugging kit in my truck ready to go.

yodaddynukka
    Participant
    @yodaddynukka

gogue is the same way. text only.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.