jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

So I’ve had this dead tree on my right outer forearm for about 10 years now. I’m starting to want to fill in the sleeve with background.
    I’m have been thinking about a cemetery under the branches. And using the initials of lost loved ones on the gravestones.

So my question is:

What are your opinions about tattoos of graveyards with loved ones initials on the gravestones?
    Is it the wrong way to remember someone or am I just over thinking it?

It has been on my mind for years.

So here’s the area in question. The graveyard would define the dirt line above the flare of the roots and fill in the background between Mr dead tree and Mr devil. The tattoo is old and needs freshening up (I know) wasn’t very good to begin with but I was young. Anyways…

IMG_20130928_043009_904_zps7f015ba8.jpg

BertNaked
    Participant
    @bertnaked

One question; are you loved ones still alive?

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

At this point I only have two sets of initials. If I do it id want 4 headstones. So its kinda morbid knowing I have the headstones waiting for a set of initials. This is why I haven’t gone thru with it yet. Just looking for a different perspective I guess.

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

Most religious people aren’t going to come up and kiss you on the mouth for the tattoo, and you might have a hard time finding a job as a dental hygienist if that’s you’re field. In that sense, it’s taboo.

It’s not taboo to the degree where it causes societal and emotional pain (like child abuse). We all make decisions about our body that changes our lives, but this doesn’t hurt the lives of anyone else, and doesn’t say anything about you as a person. (I wouldn’t cross the street to get away from you. Or not for that reason. 😉 )

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@jerryatrophy 133785 wrote:

At this point I only have two sets of initials. If I do it id want 4 headstones. So its kinda morbid knowing I have the headstones waiting for a set of initials. This is why I haven’t gone thru with it yet. Just looking for a different perspective I guess.

There’s a headstone a few miles away from my house with MY name and birth date on it. It’s been waiting for me for about 10 years. Just needs the final date. Odd thing is that I’ll probably never be buried their. (It’s a large family stone from around 1910)

You’re idea sounds good. It would really set off the tree. Just put your initials on one!

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

I’ve considered several places taking Maggie’s (a beloved family pet) and Dad’s (haven’t killed him yet), taking some of the ashes and putting them important places, then putting the remainders with those cheap pet headstones in my yard. I’m sentimental and sensitive. They were going to do it at their house, but assholes would vandalize it once my parents were gone.

On an unrelated note, my body goes to a forensics department. “And this is what an aged white ho looks like.” No ashes back. Even the skeleton becomes a teaching tool.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

I don’t think it would be morbid. You could do gravestones with the initials, and do more elaborate gravestones(like, angels etc, think phantom of the opera graveyard), that look a bit faded, so it doesn’t look as obvious that they’re waiting for initials.

Adler
    Participant
    @adler

I disagree, I think it would be terribly morbid. To me who would want their family’s deaths memorialized on their body? Every time I looked at this tattoo it I’d be sad and who would want that? If I want to pay a sad tribute I’ll go to the cemetery and leave flowers. If I want to remember my deceased family members I want that to have fun, positive thoughts and memories. I am one that fully believes a memorial tattoo should recognize and celebrate the lives not the deaths. I have a tribute piece to my family (who are still living) and it incorporates positive things about my family which actually makes me happy when I see it not sad.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@GrayCatLove 133792 wrote:

On an unrelated note, my body goes to a forensics department. “And this is what an aged white ho looks like.” No ashes back. Even the skeleton becomes a teaching tool.

I’ve been checking into that myself.

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

It’s free through most universities with a forensics department. If you have a medical school, they usually will take you, but give ashes back in most cases. It’s the greatest gift you can give.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

I agree with Adler I hate memorial tattoos with names and dates its like your walking around with a billboard of death on you. Celebrate life not death if you want to memorialize someone with a tattoo make it about their life not their death.
    Get that tattoo reworked!

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

@buttwheat 133806 wrote:

I agree with Adler I hate memorial tattoos with names and dates its like your walking around with a billboard of death on you. Celebrate life not death if you want to memorialize someone with a tattoo make it about their life not their death.
    Get that tattoo reworked!

When you die, I’m gonna get your tombstone on my left ass cheek… So’s I never forget you. 🙂

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

Name, birth date and “we’re still waiting….”

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.