GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

Is there a marked difference between what tattoo afficianados like and the mainstream folk who like it due to its current popularity?

I went on a date today and I mentioned I had tattoos. It was with a conservative guy, and it wasn’t a problem. Fewer and fewer people have problems with tattoos, but the types of tattoos that are “acceptable” are often scorned here – Most people, and certainly him, were interested in my text/Tengwar tattoo. Do we have a long way to go before things like large forearm and neck tattoos are accepted? What makes a tattoo a fun and quirky piece, versus a symbol someone is a bad person and belongs in prison? Just food for thought.

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

The placement of the piece has alot to do with it. Essentially if it’s only visible when you get naked, it’s a quirk. But even among us heavily tattooed, certain placements are taboo. Neck tattoos are only borderline acceptable. Hand and knuckle ink, you’re going to catch crap. Lord knows I did when I got “PUNX” on my knuckles. And even I look at dudes with facial ink like they’re insane.

The major reason behind this is because tattoos that can be covered lets you pass for uninked, and doesn’t effect your ability to get a job, while neck and hand/knuckle tattoos do. Lord knows I wouldn’t be employed in my *sigh* “field” if my resume wasn’t super impressive. And if you’ve got a facial tattoo, yeah, you’re pretty much working manual labor for the rest of your life.

Gender also plays a role. Women, assuming that they choose pieces that are effeminate and small, can get away with unacceptable placements better. A girl with a pretty flower or vine on her hand won’t raise the same kind of eyebrows “PUNX” on a dude’s knuckles will.

I suppose it goes without saying that the choice of design is important too. Imagine a tattoo of a dick riding a skateboard smokin a bong. Acceptable? Quality of the art and design is just as important.

I don’t really have a point, it’s just a few thoughts.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

How would a dick smoke a bong? O_O

I’m in the same boat as you: The way I dress and appear is largely controlled by my career choice, but again, it was a choice. We break barriers every time we push the envelope.

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

So you question how it would smoke a bong, but not ride a skateboard? You must’ve seen some interesting dicks in your career as a nurse.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

@KnightHawk 133034 wrote:

So you question how it would smoke a bong, but not ride a skateboard? You must’ve seen some interesting dicks in your career as a nurse.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

I’ve had some men that would blow your mind, baby!

Zorba
    Participant
    @zorba

@KnightHawk 133012 wrote:

A girl with a pretty flower or vine on her hand won’t raise the same kind of eyebrows “PUNX” on a dude’s knuckles will.

What about a dude with a “pretty flower or vine on his hand”?

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

@Zorba 133040 wrote:

I know you mean to challenge gender preconceptions, but playing dumb to obvious preconceptions doesn’t fight to break them down.

Zorba
    Participant
    @zorba

@GrayCatLove 133042 wrote:

I know you mean to challenge gender preconceptions, but playing dumb to obvious preconceptions doesn’t fight to break them down.

No question. I was just teasing KnightHawk ’cause he didn’t include that scenario. I was being facetiously lighthearted – but OTOH, I wouldn’t hesitate to get that type of tattoo for the simple reason that I prefer tattoos that are “pretty”, as opposed to “badass”.

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

@Zorba 133047 wrote:

No question. I was just teasing KnightHawk ’cause he didn’t include that scenario. I was being facetiously lighthearted – but OTOH, I wouldn’t hesitate to get that type of tattoo for the simple reason that I prefer tattoos that are “pretty”, as opposed to “badass”.

My father has an expression: “We’re talking about reality.” Reality is inherently sexist and polarizing. Boys wear blue and girls wear pink. Boys like trucks. Girls like dolls. Boys wear suits. Girls wear dresses. Boys wrestle and rough house. Girls have tea parties. Obviously, I’m grossly stereotyping. It’s wrong how we polarize the “two” sexes. But we don’t make changes by attacking people, on either side. I’ve never liked when people picked on you, and I don’t like you picking on someone else who has a valid point.

Dan
    Participant
    @dan

bottom line for me is this,first let me say that I am happily married and found a lady that is compatible for the most part with me.(I know that’s rare & lucky to find that person)ya ya,I sound like a sap,who cares,I am happy.

anyway,when people meet me,I am what I am,they either like me or not,and if I was dating,I don’t hide anything from people,and ,well,I guess what I am saying is,if a person wants to know me,they need to accept me for 100% of who & what I am,which includes all my tattoos,and to reciprocate I need to accept them for who & what they are 100%,accepting each other “as is” is the key to the whole relationship ! oh hell,I forgot what I was going to say 🙁

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

As Zorba and others pointed out, women have different rules. I push the envelope as much as I can with my short hair, fun fashion, and occasional tattoos that slip out. Societal change isn’t in your face. It’s the monster that creeps in the night.

Zorba
    Participant
    @zorba

What. Ever. I’m not picking on anyone, just making a joke.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@Zorba 133040 wrote:

Only if the flower is smoking a bong.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

I think a friend of mine actually has a tattoo of a dick smoking a bong…. I know one has a blue dick doing something weird.

And being a lady who hasn’t looked normal on more than a few occasions in about ten years, yes there is a difference. Huge difference, actually.
    To me, personally, a normal job will probably never be an option. I could probably get one, because my resume is great and I’m getting quite good at what I do, but because I don’t want to. I’ve been utterly anti-mainstream for as long as I can remember, and after a “I can’t believe I’m still alive”(I shouldn’t be) experience, I’ve become one of those hippies who needs to do something I enjoy.
    But I studied finance last year, and I sure noticed the difference around school! Girls with cute tattoos, was a completely different thing than me and my tattoos.

I’ve dated a guy with heavy facial ink, and I see no problem with hand/neck tattoos personally. To me, the only important thing is that the person wearing them, is aware of the consequenses and made a grown-up decision about it, not a tribal on their neck as their first tattoo because it’s cool and shows…
    Pay your dues first, is my policy. Don’t do hands/neck etc before you’ve done huge parts of your body that isn’t visible all the time! Looks ridiculous when someone has full sleeves, chestpiece and neck, and nothing else.. Haha, my personal opinion there! But it is a fact; The more ink you have, the more you can get away with. No one cares that I have a drunken tattoo on my leg, but I’m sure a cutesy girl with nothing else who got hers done in turkey during a girls vacation, would get worse comments!

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

That’s funny, Pox. American attitudes are so different. Here, if a girl gets a tattoo of a flower on her shoulder, it’s “cute.” If she has several tattoos of less girly things, she’s branded a slut. (Man. I wish I was a slut. I’d have more fun.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.