yodaddynukka
    Participant
    @yodaddynukka

so my last session my artist used some stuff called sani derm F.A.Q. | | SanidermSaniderm but i also bought some tatu derm Tattoo Aftercare. Tatu-Derm – Tattoo Aftercare System. | Improving the Tattoo Experience and also some tega derm (from drugstore.com) before my session just in case he ran out.

we ended up using both the sani and tatu derm because he didnt have enough. after my first full 24hrs with it on, i decided to remove and use new tatu derm (and tega derm on the smaller spots) because of the fluid pool and the adhesive coming loose.

its been a total of 3 days on with it and i JUST peeled it off and here are some pros and cons.

PROS:
    – leave it on and forget about it for 3 days. this is the biggest pro for me. no more washing and re-wrapping with saran wrap 4x a day, especially tough when the tattoo is on your back and impossible to do by yourself.

– no scabs. i used to get scabs, albeit tiny ones, when i got work from jess yen as he is heavy handed and i lost color a couple times in some spots. another big pro.

– can shower with it on like normal.

– very adhesive so there is minimal chance of it coming loose.

– sterile (unlike saran wrap)

– tattoo starts peeling as fast as dry wrap.

CONS:
    – very adhesive so removing might hurt, but for me there wasnt much pain

– very adhesive so a little (ok a lot) worried about pulling out the ink. there was a lot of ink pulled out when removing the adhesive, but could be just as much when showering? here is what sani derm says about this:
    How will it affect my ink?
    Sanidermโ€™s adhesive will not attach to the weeping area of a tattoo, therefore it can never damage or pull out ink. In fact, customers report that the colors of their tattoo remain more vibrant after using Saniderm, compared to tattoos that have healed by other aftercare products.

– i had 2 HUGE water blisters form under the tape. luckily both were not on freshly tattooed areas. one was the size of a half dollar. pretty disgusting and a tiny but raw right now.

– seems i have sensitive skin because my skin is red where the edge of the adhesive was. this also happens with medical tape when i do dry wrap so expected.

other than that i am pleased at the moment. as of now i would try it again but if i get these water blisters again i may not try it after that, though the no scabbing and use and forget it is a BIG plus.

EDIT: i just noticed there were 2 small patches where i didnt have the tatu derm on, and those 2 areas have small scabbing. i am a believer in the product now! (but for full disclosure, the area that scabbed, i would normally dry wrap or aquaphor but since i didnt notice it wasnt protected, it basically dry healed so its kind of difficult to say if that area would have scabbed if i had used aquaphor or dry wrap vs tatu derm)

yodaddynukka
    Participant
    @yodaddynukka

i also forgot to mention that the tattoo is now peeling so now i just do my normal routine of washing 2x a day and then light layer of lotion until peeling stops.

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

Can u buy it locally?

I was looking into it a few weeks ago but couldn’t find anybody with experience with it. Its a little late now since the appointment is tomorrow butbibwould like to give this stuff a shot.

yodaddynukka
    Participant
    @yodaddynukka

@jerryatrophy 131985 wrote:

Can u buy it locally?

I was looking into it a few weeks ago but couldn’t find anybody with experience with it. Its a little late now since the appointment is tomorrow butbibwould like to give this stuff a shot.

im not quite sure about locally as i ordered mine online.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

@jerryatrophy 131985 wrote:

Can u buy it locally?

You can buy saran wrap locally.

This is what I tried when I had the tattoo healing from hell but it was only on for 4-5 hours then removed for tattoo of the day

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

I’ve got some laying around here somewhere. An artist I work with use it sometimes, and he says to leave it on for 2-3 days. In his experience, it heals way better than with saran wrap. Saniderm, that is.
    I’m bringing some with me to the states, because I’m getting tattooed in Miami and I might no be able to resist going to the beach.. ;D
    It DOES hurt to take it off, though. There is a technique to it, where you pull it up and out, not down. If that made any sense. Anyways, if you do it right it doesn’t hurt too bad.
    And it shouldn’t take out any ink, as ink is placed far deeper into your skin. According to the one I work with, it should be available in drugstores in the states? No idea myself.

yodaddynukka
    Participant
    @yodaddynukka

@poxphobia 131995 wrote:

I’ve got some laying around here somewhere. An artist I work with use it sometimes, and he says to leave it on for 2-3 days. In his experience, it heals way better than with saran wrap. Saniderm, that is.
    I’m bringing some with me to the states, because I’m getting tattooed in Miami and I might no be able to resist going to the beach.. ;D
    It DOES hurt to take it off, though. There is a technique to it, where you pull it up and out, not down. If that made any sense. Anyways, if you do it right it doesn’t hurt too bad.
    And it shouldn’t take out any ink, as ink is placed far deeper into your skin. According to the one I work with, it should be available in drugstores in the states? No idea myself.

yeah i think i said it wrong when i said it pulled out ink. but there was definitely ink on the adhesive parts and i think that was mostly excess ink. i would love to hear your experience when you do use it. who and when are you getting ink from?

EDIT: the only one i know of for sure that sells at stores is the tegaderm stuff. but its way more expensive and thinner and made by 3M.

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

@buttwheat 131992 wrote:

You can buy saran wrap locally.

I’ll be packing Saran Wrap in my luggage next trip down south. I hope the sound of crinkling Saran isn’t suspicious when I go thru customs on my way back. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

@yodaddynukka 131997 wrote:

yeah i think i said it wrong when i said it pulled out ink. but there was definitely ink on the adhesive parts and i think that was mostly excess ink. i would love to hear your experience when you do use it. who and when are you getting ink from?

EDIT: the only one i know of for sure that sells at stores is the tegaderm stuff. but its way more expensive and thinner and made by 3M.

Early September, Ryan Eternal at Into the woods ๐Ÿ™‚

yodaddynukka
    Participant
    @yodaddynukka

@poxphobia 132014 wrote:

nice! great artists at that shop. love frank lanatra too.

Wardy
    Participant
    @wardy

dry heal with nothing on it, can’t beat it.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

@poxphobia 132014 wrote:

Great shop lot’s of talent there with Frank and Kelly

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

Yeah, I think they do really good work! ๐Ÿ™‚ And I love Ryans use of colors! Fits perfectly with my plans for my leg ๐Ÿ™‚
    Got a consult with Tim Kern in NY the week after too, hopefully we’ll get started on something big whenever we end up on the same continent again ;p

Oh,and I asked the artist I work with who uses saniderm, and he’s apparently only had good experience using it. Especially handy in places where it’s hard to make saran wrap stick. Guessing I’ll get to try it out more later this year, when I do my knee and solar plexus area.

yodaddynukka
    Participant
    @yodaddynukka

Awesome! So is this a vacation and u scheduled your tattoo appointment around it? Or are u coming here strictly to get tattooed? My wife hates that all our vacations have some sort of tattoo agenda to it lol

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

Haha, vacation first! And then I just made sure to fit in a few concerts and a tattoo ;D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.