Tucantastic
    Participant
    @tucantastic

Hey all!

So I’ve been wondering about something recently, and I was hoping that maybe you guys could help me shine some light on it.

I’ve browsed through a fair share of great ink over the last few years. Books, magazines, movies and documentaries, fora and tattoo-shop sites on the web etc. I’m always looking for new material to devour. I love tattoo art, and the creativity that goes into a lot of the pieces I’ve come across. And this is what leads me to my question:

How much artistic freedom do you usually let an artist have when working on your skin? I myself don’t have any tattoos. Hell, I haven’t been inside an actual shop yet. So when I see some of the great pieces inhere for example, I wonder if the the wearer already had the entire thing planned out in their mind beforehand, or if the starting point was a basic idea that the artist was left with to work some of his or her magic.

Personally I have a few concept ideas, but I’m not sure whether I’d ever be able to make more of them myself than what they already are without some help from the pros.

Anyway, let’s hear it!

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@Tucantastic 130846 wrote:

Hey all!

So I’ve been wondering about something recently, and I was hoping that maybe you guys could help me shine some light on it.

I’ve browsed through a fair share of great ink over the last few years. Books, magazines, movies and documentaries, fora and tattoo-shop sites on the web etc. I’m always looking for new material to devour. I love tattoo art, and the creativity that goes into a lot of the pieces I’ve come across. And this is what leads me to my question:

How much artistic freedom do you usually let an artist have when working on your skin? I myself don’t have any tattoos. Hell, I haven’t been inside an actual shop yet. So when I see some of the great pieces inhere for example, I wonder if the the wearer already had the entire thing planned out in their mind beforehand, or if the starting point was a basic idea that the artist was left with to work some of his or her magic.

Personally I have a few concept ideas, but I’m not sure whether I’d ever be able to make more of them myself than what they already are without some help from the pros.

Anyway, let’s hear it!

I think a basic idea and letting the artist have as much freedom as possible. Most important is to get a top notch artist and you will always get something you love 🙂

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

If it’s a known brilliant artist, toss out an idea and let them run with it. For myself, I like to have a little something done by someone I know who has a good reputation for what they do, then go back and consider big work. I give increasing amounts of freedom; on my abdominal tattoo, I let the guy color the flora as he wished as long as he did my Indian Blue Robin properly. It ended up being this trippy, beautiful image I just love.

Zorba
    Participant
    @zorba

Never micromanage an artist. It just doesn’t work.

My wife and I have commissioned 2 paintings, one stained glass window, and a marble floor. In all cases, we’ve gone with an artist whose work we respect. Given the basic idea, the elements we want, and let the artist run with it.

We have yet to be disappointed.

Same went with my 2 tattoos. Same (great) results.

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

The first time I saw the artist that I see locally I took in some art from a plate that I wanted (a hummingbird and some hibiscus flowers). She asked if I wanted the same colours. I specified pink flowers but told her to use what she wanted on the bird, actually I said to use whatever colours were in her head. Love my delicate hummingbird. The next time I saw her was for a very large piece, I gave her some references and let her run with it. Came away with an outstanding peacock. My experiences with her taught me to do exactly what Peter said above. I now just give her some reference material and wait to see the magic.

I have also just given a subject matter – asked for a mask – to two different and artists who are amazing. The result of both of those was absolutely outstanding. So much so that one said he had some great ideas for the other side of my arm and I am going to let him do it, and I haven’t even asked him what his ideas are. It might seem a little bit crazy, but it is pretty exciting waiting to see.

I have an appointment this fall. Sent 5 different pictures to the artist and said to pick his favourite and surprise me.

I owe much thanks to my local artist. She taught me to trust and to give freedom, and the results have been so far beyond what I ever imagined. The trick to being this trusting is that you HAVE to start with an amazing and talented artist.

Tecratt
    Participant
    @tecratt

@Zorba 130854 wrote:

Given the basic idea, the elements we want, and let the artist run with it.

This is what I tend to do. The tattoo in my avatar I just said, Hey I want an evil mad scientist from here to here, full color.

However: If you know you want something very specific, then get what you want. You have to live with it and love it.

metalmancpa
    Participant
    @metalmancpa

I gave my artist a concept, and then I let him run with it. When he was done outlining, he asked me about color, and I told him it was his art so do whatever he felt.

And on my cover, the artist made a decision that I hadn’t thought of, and I let him run with it.

As others have said, the key is to do your research and find the right artist – a good one.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

@Zorba 130854 wrote:

Never micromanage an artist. It just doesn’t work.

My wife and I have commissioned 2 paintings, one stained glass window, and a marble floor. In all cases, we’ve gone with an artist whose work we respect. Given the basic idea, the elements we want, and let the artist run with it.

This is what I do pretty much total freedom

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

When I first went to Anthony Zamora I had four lizard tattoos of marginal quality. I said what can you do to tie them together? I specifically wanted Anthurium flowers and Fiddle leaf philodendron. He said he would do that, and add other flowers, some real, and some he would make up. He then attacked my leg with sharpie markers.
    He came up with the lightning bugs, and the dead log. He essentially “owns” my whole right side. I specified a lobster on my shoulder. The rest we talk about. He’s got some great ideas. (we have talked about the fornicating flowers from Pink Floyd’s The Wall)

I hope he wins enough on “Best Ink” to open his own shop.

(The sewer man hole idea was mine but he really made it work!)

Mistress_Of_Pain
    Participant
    @mistress_of_pain

For the most part, at least for me, I like to have my ideas picked out for the most part. I usually bring in an idea or drawing or something and I let my artist run with it. We actually based my main piece on my right arm off an image I found online (story and pics in my blog. Link in my signature) and he rendered it to fit what we were wanting and off we went. All of my tattoos have been my own idea, the designs are basically what my artist came up with.

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

I go both ways….well not really….
    I’ve gone In with exactly what I wanted before. And I’ve also made appointments specifically not knowing what I was getting until I got there and talked to him about it (cock in a noose on my knee)
    I really hate when my artist asks me questions. I’m always like “dude just do it the way you want” except for this one time when he started pulling out all these colors for a piece I wanted black and grey. I was like. No sir….
    I’ve had completely freehand work just drawn on. Freehand work just tattooed on.

But generally I don’t even bring reference material. Just my brains.

Tucantastic
    Participant
    @tucantastic

Thanks for giving me some takes on this! I guess you’re right about not wanting to micro manage a real artist. 🙂 Anyways, I’m glad that it isn’t just my level of creativity that seems to be worth jack shit. :p

yodaddynukka
    Participant
    @yodaddynukka

Hell, I didn’t even know what I was getting on my full back piece (neck to thigh) until the day I got there. Same goes with my leg sleeve. Make sure u trust your artist 100%.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.