peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@We HEART LA 130790 wrote:

Well, I’m just anal like that I guess.lol Or you’re just a baller. Once I add a few more 000 to my salary. I won’t care either. haha

But I can see where you are coming from. It really don’t matter what you get. It is going to turn out sweet!

yeah don’t get me wrong we are all different and some people have better situations and totally understand that. I just feel with any financial situation, if you are trying to get a top artist, that asking what it will cost right off the bat automatically puts time waster bells in their heads, wrong or right.

gobeavers
    Participant
    @gobeavers

How much money do you think top artists make each year?

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@gobeavers 130812 wrote:

How much money do you think top artists make each year?

Close to a million Euros a year from what I worked out roughly for the more expensive ones:)

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

Remember that expenses etc take out a lot of that..
    It costs a shitload of money to run a tattoo parlor ;p

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@poxphobia 130814 wrote:

Yep it does, either way they are earning good money.

ezrider
    Participant
    @ezrider

@poxphobia 130814 wrote:

Yes it does, I had a friend that owned his own shop he had a lot of overhead and between that and keeping dependable artists working there he was losing his ass. He closed it down and went to work at another shop a couple of towns over (bigger city) and is doing much better money wise.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

yeah, usually they might sit back with 10-20% of the price after expenses are covered. Not including personal living expenses. High end artists with very high prices will clearly sit back with more 🙂

Just got myself on the “in-case-of-cancellation-list” with three amazing artists in new york (late planning for a trip..), among them, Tim Kern. One of my favorite artists. Never been hoping so bad for someone to get a bit hurt or something.. Not seriously, just enough that they have to cancel ;D
    If I don’t get the appointment, I’ve been welcomed by him to come by and make plans to get work done later, so it’s gonna happen either way 😀 So now I can share your joy and not hate you quite as much 😉

gobeavers
    Participant
    @gobeavers

I noticed Tim kern will be out in Oregon in February for Joshua Carlton’s convention!

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@poxphobia 130817 wrote:

yeah, usually they might sit back with 10-20% of the price after expenses are covered. Not including personal living expenses. High end artists with very high prices will clearly sit back with more 🙂

Just got myself on the “in-case-of-cancellation-list” with three amazing artists in new york (late planning for a trip..), among them, Tim Kern. One of my favorite artists. Never been hoping so bad for someone to get a bit hurt or something.. Not seriously, just enough that they have to cancel ;D
    If I don’t get the appointment, I’ve been welcomed by him to come by and make plans to get work done later, so it’s gonna happen either way 😀 So now I can share your joy and not hate you quite as much 😉

Awesome, he does beautiful work! Congratz:)

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

Thanks 🙂

I got a feeling this forum will be spammed down with tattoo nerds getting their dreams fulfilled in September… Been noticing quite a few that have appointments set up around that time! 🙂 Gonna be fun to watch all the pictures 😀

We HEART LA
    Participant
    @we-heart-la

@peterpoose 130803 wrote:

yeah don’t get me wrong we are all different and some people have better situations and totally understand that. I just feel with any financial situation, if you are trying to get a top artist, that asking what it will cost right off the bat automatically puts time waster bells in their heads, wrong or right.

IMO. That Artist is a dick for thinking that. And would give me the impressions he only cares about the money, not the work itself. Would you not ask a mechanic how much the repair’s will be on the car? Or would you just let him go to town and bring you a bill and accept it? Just cause he is the best at working on that model. Obviously if you’re going to an artist like Torres or Jun Cha. Nikko Etc.. you already know it is going to be a pretty penny. Asking the price is important to both parties with not wasting time. That way it is out of the way and you can focus on the tattoo, which is most important. I do get where you’re coming from though.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

It’s a lot easier for a mechanic to evaluate the cost of his work.

The reason many think like this, is because they are artists. It’s pretty much impossible to know how long and how complicated a tattoo is gonna be before the stencil is on your skin, and sometimes things change, so you don’t even know the price until it’s done! I once got an estimate of how much one of my tattoos were going to run me in total – it ended up being twice that.

A LOT of people contact a ton of different artists, maybe even have them make them a design, ask for the price, and then decide to go to some scratcher, because it’s cheaper. It’s because the money isn’t the most important factor. Asking about an estimate for your session, after confirming your appointment, simply to know how much you need to have at hand, should however be fine. But having money as your first question, will make you seem like a time waster, because these people very often are approaching a ton of artists at the same time.

Asking if they have an hourly, flat rate or session price should be fair, and when your design is ready and you’re committed to it, you can ask about the price. If it’s more than you can afford, reschedule for when you can afford it. You should never choose your artist based on price.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@We HEART LA 130826 wrote:

IMO. That Artist is a dick for thinking that. And would give me the impressions he only cares about the money, not the work itself. Would you not ask a mechanic how much the repair’s will be on the car? Or would you just let him go to town and bring you a bill and accept it? Just cause he is the best at working on that model. Obviously if you’re going to an artist like Torres or Jun Cha. Nikko Etc.. you already know it is going to be a pretty penny. Asking the price is important to both parties with not wasting time. That way it is out of the way and you can focus on the tattoo, which is most important. I do get where you’re coming from though.

Yep I agree. Of course you need to know relatively early on. I just meant that they must get thousands of time wasters who probably ask about costs as the first question. I am only speculating on how they think lol I could be completely wrong 🙂

yodaddynukka
    Participant
    @yodaddynukka

@ezrider 130816 wrote:

Yes it does, I had a friend that owned his own shop he had a lot of overhead and between that and keeping dependable artists working there he was losing his ass. He closed it down and went to work at another shop a couple of towns over (bigger city) and is doing much better money wise.

jeff gogue sold his shop to work for off the map. said its a lot easier. i think carlos torres is in the same boat but dont quote me on that. also consider tattoo artists (and most self employed workers) have to pay for their own insurance and when you have kids or a spouse that number goes up significantly.

yodaddynukka
    Participant
    @yodaddynukka

@poxphobia 130828 wrote:

It’s a lot easier for a mechanic to evaluate the cost of his work.

The reason many think like this, is because they are artists. It’s pretty much impossible to know how long and how complicated a tattoo is gonna be before the stencil is on your skin, and sometimes things change, so you don’t even know the price until it’s done! I once got an estimate of how much one of my tattoos were going to run me in total – it ended up being twice that.

A LOT of people contact a ton of different artists, maybe even have them make them a design, ask for the price, and then decide to go to some scratcher, because it’s cheaper. It’s because the money isn’t the most important factor. Asking about an estimate for your session, after confirming your appointment, simply to know how much you need to have at hand, should however be fine. But having money as your first question, will make you seem like a time waster, because these people very often are approaching a ton of artists at the same time.

Asking if they have an hourly, flat rate or session price should be fair, and when your design is ready and you’re committed to it, you can ask about the price. If it’s more than you can afford, reschedule for when you can afford it. You should never choose your artist based on price.

right its apples and oranges. with cars, its a necessity. tattoos are art and not a necessity. its fashion.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.