gobeavers
    Participant
    @gobeavers

I only have a few tattoos, but the last five or so years I’ve had an itch to add on or get a new tattoo. How often do you guys end up getting new ink? Do you usually have an idea for a long time before getting something, or merely get something based on great artwork and a seed of an idea? Just curious as to other people’s mindsets!

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

Every 6 months for me lol

Cardinal
    Participant
    @cardinal

I think of tattoo ideas all the time, but I would only consider turning one in to an actually tattoo if I have been very keen on the idea for six months or more. It would be then I would consider contacting an artist and then waiting… it then depends on the artist’s waiting list I guess.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

Well, it depends! I work in a tattoo shop, so clearly I get an itch for it more or less every single day. Being constantly surrounded by beautiful tattoos doesn’t help..!
    I don’t get new pieces all that often now, because I feel like I’m running out of space(I’m not even close to, but hey), and I have a ton of ideas for what I want!
    I usually don’t plan my work too well. Often I’ll have a basic idea about wanting something done, but I’ll be fairly unsure as to exactly what. Then all of a sudden, the perfect idea comes along ๐Ÿ™‚ My last tattoo I got done, is a rather large piece on my right arm. I’d been wondering what to get there for years, but never found something perfect. When I first got the idea and drew it up, I took it to one of the artists I work with the next day, and got started two weeks later ๐Ÿ™‚ It was simply the right one.
    I believe in falling in love with my tattoos, I’m not gonna tattoo something I don’t have a “love at first sight” with. Which also means, a lot of my work has been done rather impulsive.. ๐Ÿ™‚ I once scheduled a full day with an artist, and decided on the actual tattoo about two days before. The colors I didn’t even decide myself, my artist got his way! I even have a drunken tattoo, so I can’t claim that I’m very good at planning and well considered decisions.

Right now I’ve got plans for quite a lot, I had planned a full backpiece, but it’s now turning into a larger piece going from the top of my ribs, and down to my knee, stretching out a bit on my bum and around my thigh. Also have set plans for one right below my breasts, my other thigh, my elbow, and kneecap…
    Travelling to NY and Miami in 6 weeks, and still hoping to find an appointment with someone amazing there. Probably won’t on such short notice, but if I do, I’ll let them do whatever idea I have that suits their style the best. I’ve got plans for blackwork, realistic, full color, old school, dotwork, b&g… Very versatile by now ๐Ÿ˜› I’ve even got plans for one scratcher tattoo. This tattoo can’t be done professionally. Even the artists I work with agree… (ofc going to have a pro watch over the entire process) Who’d think such a tattoo existed? ;D

gobeavers
    Participant
    @gobeavers

Wow that’s great! It sounds like you are in love with all of your tattoos! I’m certainly jealous of other people’s ability to think of great tattoo ideas. I’m always looking at them online, but rarely come up with any ideas. I suppose my creative side is lacking. That’s awesome though, I wish there were more people I knew in person to share this fascination with tattoos (high quality, I don’t know if you’ve been to Oregon, but there are TONS of people with tattoos, many of them are super shitty) with!

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

I’m constantly looking at almost anything and thinking what kind of tattoo it would make.

I got my first one in June, 2012 and I just hit 71 hours last Thursday (7-18) I have hundreds of notes, sketches, and pictures in a file ready to go at a moments notice.

What’s your next one?

gobeavers
    Participant
    @gobeavers

@Sam-I-Am 130517 wrote:

I’m constantly looking at almost anything and thinking what kind of tattoo it would make.

I got my first one in June, 2012 and I just hit 71 hours last Thursday (7-18) I have hundreds of notes, sketches, and pictures in a file ready to go at a moments notice.

What’s your next one?

You’re at quick pace! That’s impressive you have so many ideas too. I just have my 2nd session coming up on my chest, however I have no ideas for after that. I’ve tried thinking plenty, but haven’t had any luck with ideas. Maybe I’ll try looking and observing for ideas, rather than trying to chalk up an idea in my mind.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@gobeavers 130521 wrote:

You’re at quick pace!

I’m 57 years old. I’m making up for lost time!

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@gobeavers 130521 wrote:

Maybe I’ll try looking and observing for ideas, rather than trying to chalk up an idea in my mind.

I tend to watch other people and envision what tattoos would suite them. (Oddly enough the female breast takes up a large percentage of this exercise)

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

yeah, I don’t really go looking for ideas anymore. But again; I’m constantly surrounded by this art at work, most I follow on Instagram and facebook has to do with tattoos or art, I do a lot of art myself, etc, so it all evolves ๐Ÿ™‚ Right now I’m going to move to a different country next year, and hopefully my economy will be a lot better in two-three years, so I’m waiting with a lot of my projects until I can travel more and see different artists. Some great ones around here, but I like to collect from different ones ๐Ÿ™‚ I got work done by 8 artists so far, and I’m also gonna get something small from each of the artists I work with now.
    Hoping to get an appointment with Niki Norberg and Domantas Parvainis sometime next year though, so I’m saving a spot for both of them ;D Hah, maybe I’ll get to get one tattoo from a top class artist around the same time as I let some punk tattoo me in a occupied house. Sounds like a great combination.

I guess to me it’s by now just as much about the art itself, and the experience and person that performs it, as it is the motif itself..

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

I am really shit at art but I also just seem to follow art only really. Be it tattoos, or graffiti or sculptures, paintings, love it all!

Us oldies who have started late are going full throttle lol

I havent even added up my hours, hmmm

Going to go and try now!

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

Ok I think its around 141 hours since 2011 ๐Ÿ™‚

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@peterpoose 130529 wrote:

I bow to thee, Sir peterpoose!

(frightening isn’t it?)

yodaddynukka
    Participant
    @yodaddynukka

@peterpoose 130529 wrote:

damn it took me almost 4 years to get to 140hrs… you are a freak. A FREAK!!!!

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Not often enough

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.