anonymous
    Participant
    @anonymous

So, I’ve been thinking awhile that I want to get a tattoo for my Grampa. He has been my inspiration for tattoos. Of course, his are old biker tattoos. He was the leader of the “local riding…group” in the 60s and 70s and still rides with them today. He is, naturally, our Patriarch. But beyond that, he was the the strong male figure in my life. My dad wasn’t around and he taught me what a strong, reliable man was like. He and I are very close and for a few years now I’ve wanted to get something to honor him.

But I just can’t figure out what to get. I’ve thought of something related to Harleys but that just doesn’t seem right. I’m going in a few months to meet with my artist and talk about a few options but hopefully I’ll at least have some idea by then.

For the record, I won’t do his name. I love my Grampa and he’ll always be my grampa but I just can’t put a name on my body.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Has anyone gotten a tattoo to honor a family member?

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

Beautiful idea 🙂

I have two tattoos in honor of family members. My first tattoo was a star, in honor of my late grandmother (saw a falling star the night she passed, made a wish and sure thing, it came true). But later realized that just a simple star was too.. Simple. Now, I have a Sylvia Ji painting on my back. A beautiful dia de los muertos woman, who is in honor of both my grandmother, and my other strong, female relatives that have meant a lot in my life 🙂 Later I’m also getting a quote by a norwegian author, because my grandmother used to say it to me, and it was her way of showing her acceptance for my lifechoices. (it basically translates to “Those who create art, are art. Be yourself at every turn” much more beautiful in norwegian;) ) Oh, and I have the classic heart with mom and dad in it 🙂

I think very often such tattoos will come to you, you’ll find symbols of your loved ones. How about going to visit your grampa, look around, look at him, and see if anything pops up? If he smokes a pipe(those make for lovely tattoos), has a special piece of jewelry, heritage, a symbol on his bike maybe. How about maybe even asking him? I know lions are fairly popular to portray strength, I’ve seen a lion + lion cub tattoo once, that a man got to honor his father always looking out for him. Seen the same with penguins, polar bears, etc 🙂 Or maybe; Check out his old tattoos, maybe he has one of those classic designs, and get a “modern” variety? If he has a faded, homemade eagle, go get a fine Sailor Jerry eagle in bold colors! Something like that can be very nice 🙂

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Welcome to the forum!

Nice idea, and I agree about not using a name.

Of all his tattoos, do you have a favorite one? Do you share a favorite activity? I don’t care for portraits, but I can see a shadow resembling his profile behind a motorcycle, or a replica of one of his tattoos. (your favorite one)

Good luck, keep us posted, and lots of pictures!

Mistress_Of_Pain
    Participant
    @mistress_of_pain

I actually have a memorial piece for my Grandpa. While it’s not exactly something he loved, it meant a lot to me after he passed on. I have a white Lilly on my left calf. Basically, when Lilies are present at funerals, this is what they mean or at least the meaning that I found: “The White Lilly at Funerals symbolize that the soul of the departed has recieved restored innocence after death.” I also have the words “And we will remember when..” tattooed along side it. It’s the very last lyric of the song Remember when by Alan Jackson that played at his funeral and it’s pretty obvious as to what it means.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Get something that reminds you of him. Like if you can think of a great moment that you shared get something related to that.

I got a memorial tattoo for my dad. It is from when we caught a giant marlin out of a small boat. No names no dates and to most it just looks like a cool tattoo to me it means a lot.

anonymous
    Participant
    @anonymous

His old tattoos are primarily biker and….biker “group” related so even though I would love to mimic one of his in tribute, it would neither be appropriate nor acceptable. But given that his bike has been such a big part of his life, I am sure it will play a role in the tattoo. Grampa just isn’t Grampa without is Harley 🙂

Tecratt
    Participant
    @tecratt

If it was me, and I had an awesome grandpa like that, I would definitely get something old school. You can get an awesome old school tat that doesn’t necessarily have a bike in it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.