anonymous
    Participant
    @anonymous

Ok, so a friend and I are having a debate and I am going to the experts. Her sister got a tattoo a year ago of a lion head on her back. I say it is tribal, my friend (and her sister) insist it isn’t. In the end, her sister likes the tattoo so it doesn’t really matter. But this is a girl that says all tribal tattoos are terrible…but I say she has one on her back 🙂

20130421_115522-1%255B1%255D.jpg

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

If you use the process of elimination, eliminating traditional, old school, new wave etc. styles…. Yep, it’s tribal.

I’m glad she likes it.

anonymous
    Participant
    @anonymous

She loves it but is adamant that “tribal” is only the arm bands and what, I guess, you would call “traditional” tribal designs. She says if it is just thick black lines it isn’t tribal :confused:

Always nice to be proven right! Now I am off to get my very own cliche tattoo 😉

yodaddynukka
    Participant
    @yodaddynukka

i would call it tribal.

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

@npaggett 130101 wrote:

She says if it is just thick black lines it isn’t tribal :confused:

That’s exactly what tribal is… nothing but black thick (and thin) lines done up in weird shapes that do not fit the other standard categories. A traditional tattoo without color, for instance, would never be considered tribal just because it’s solely thick black lines.

That lion, however, is 100% tribal. And a dreadfully poorly done one at that.

Take a look at this tribal butterfly for instance (random one I picked off google):
    Tribal-Butterfly-Tattoos-Designs.jpg

And look at the swirls at the ends of the tribal.

Then look at the swirls on your friend’s tattoo. Looks familiar? It’s basically the same concept, only hideously executed.

Wardy
    Participant
    @wardy

It’s tribal. It’s also very badly done.

anonymous
    Participant
    @anonymous

To be fair, it is a really bad picture of the tattoo. While I almost never excuse poor tats, hers really isn’t *that* bad as far as tribals go. Certainly no great masterpiece…but are we really surprised by that?

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

It’s not a bad picture…. it’s a bad tattoo. Nothing to do with being tribal.. it’s just not well done.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

Looks like tribal to me also!

anonymous
    Participant
    @anonymous

@npaggett 130124 wrote:

To be fair, it is a really bad picture of the tattoo. While I almost never excuse poor tats, hers really isn’t *that* bad as far as tribals go. Certainly no great masterpiece…but are we really surprised by that?

Never said it was a “good” tattoo. I said it looks considerably different in person than it does in that photo and it looks far better. I’m not sure when this was taken, but I’m guessing it was during her..uh…chunkier..phase which made her tattoo look like crap, fuzzy and oddly proportioned. Now that she has lost the weight again…it looks more like it did to begin with: Mediocre.

Zorba
    Participant
    @zorba

I’m no expert – but it certainly looks “Tribal” to me.

And I don’t have the problems with Tribal that many here do.

But I can’t say its well executed.

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

If you google “tribal lion tattoo” the flash for that exact tattoo comes up in the images.

anonymous
    Participant
    @anonymous

@Zorba 130150 wrote:

I’m no expert – but it certainly looks “Tribal” to me.

And I don’t have the problems with Tribal that many here do.

But I can’t say its well executed.

The problem I see (and perhaps you see something different) in this picture (the only one I have of it) is that it is poorly proportioned and the lines are fuzzy. Both of which were remedied when she lost the weight she gained after her tattoo. It is much cleaner and less stretched out

@Call_me_Lola 130154 wrote:

If you google “tribal lion tattoo” the flash for that exact tattoo comes up in the images.

That is funny. I don’t know if she picked it out at the shop or if she found it online.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

It is a poorly done tribal lion

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@npaggett 130158 wrote:

The problem I see (and perhaps you see something different) in this picture (the only one I have of it) is that it is poorly proportioned and the lines are fuzzy. Both of which were remedied when she lost the weight she gained after her tattoo. It is much cleaner and less stretched out

That is funny. I don’t know if she picked it out at the shop or if she found it online.

You sure this isn’t your tattoo :p

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.