walmartwolverine
    Participant
    @walmartwolverine

I have several tattoo’s and made the decision to go beyond my above average tattoo artist and attempt to get a tattoo from a extremely talented very well known one. The artists assistant informed me that he would need $250.00 in order to place my name on a waiting list with no timetable of appointment (internet searches say he averages two years). I paid the deposit but don’t know if this is normal protocol for better known artists, or am I an idiot for forking over that much money for a call I may or may not get for years if at all. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

The last two ‘big boys’ that I scored appointments with needed deposits nearly that high – but neither work with long waiting lists, they only book out a few months at a time.

I can see that asking for a deposit that size means that only people willing to wait, who are serious about wanting work from that artist, actually put their name on the waiting list. It also would make people make themselves available once the opening came up. Otherwise everyone would just throw their name on the list and then a high percentage would turn down the appointment when it finally came up. Or bail when they find out the TOTAL price is WAY more than they were expecting. If you pay a $250 deposit you have to know that you are going to be dropping major coin for the actual tattoo. So I can see why the deposit is required, from the artist’s business point of view.

Will they send you something in writing – even just an email – that details that this is a deposit that will come off the eventual tattoo cost? I know that would make me feel better if it was my $250.

I am on a waiting list that I may never hear back from (that didn’t require a deposit) but I am going to leave that space on my arm for at least a couple or three years, in case I do hear back. I would absolutely die if I filled it with something else and then got the call. But I imagine that without leaving a large deposit, many people will give up. I’m kind of counting on many of the people ahead of me dropping off the list. If a hefty deposit was required – and I would have paid one to get onto that list – I would expect very few people to bail.

So I guess I don’t think you would be an idiot to send the deposit.

walmartwolverine
    Participant
    @walmartwolverine

Thanks for the insight. This artist charges $250 an hour so I am guessing between 2 and 2.5 for the entire tattoo. The deposit comes off the last hour of your last session, which I have a receipt for. I am a little nervous that the call may never come or come in three years or so. I also have my name on a list that didn’t require a deposit for Bob Tyrrell and a spot on my arm that I will wait for him if he ever calls. I live about 20 minutes from him so we will see.

Wardy
    Participant
    @wardy

What’s the artists name?

walmartwolverine
    Participant
    @walmartwolverine

To be honest I would rather not say just in case they are offended that I am questioning there reasoning for how they run their business. I will say that he is not famous for being on a stupid reality tattoo television show only famous for the amazing work he does which is reflected in the fact he charges $250 and hour and has a two year waiting list of people wanting to hand over that type of money.

Wardy
    Participant
    @wardy

Well i find it stupid that he would be offended for someone giving out he’s name he would probably be the opposite of offended as you are advertising he’s name.. but whatever float’s you’re boat i guess….

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

@walmartwolverine 126130 wrote:

I also have my name on a list that didn’t require a deposit for Bob Tyrrell and a spot on my arm that I will wait for him if he ever calls. I live about 20 minutes from him so we will see.

I would surely appreciate it if you spent all your money on someone else and dropped your name off Bob Tyrrell’s list. That would move me up one more spot!! 😉

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Just about anything you buy, or any service you contract has one thing in common. You only get what you pay for.

I had a couple of shit tattoos that will be history one day.(thanks to this forum) I’ve been having work done by Anthony Zamora. He’s a young guy that I think does great work. He’s known in the region, but not famous (yet). My first few sessions I paid $150.00deposits. I’m not asked for a deposit anymore.
    Fortunatly I live close by and I’m willing to fill in for cancellations with short notice.

$250.00 deposit? My guess is money well spent.

Wardy
    Participant
    @wardy

where still waiting on a name, i don’t think he will be “offended” as there name plays a big part in there business from people advertising it.

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

Wow. $250 an hour? Crazy. Must be nice.

yodaddynukka
    Participant
    @yodaddynukka

@Wardy 126144 wrote:

where still waiting on a name, i don’t think he will be “offended” as there name plays a big part in there business from people advertising it.

On top of that, I doubt the artist even checks the site. And if he charges everyone this deposit, why would he be offended? We can tell u if this artist is reputable or not, or if he is just scamming u.

tool
    Participant
    @tool

I would expect at least a appointment if I paid a deposit even if it was two years away

anonymous
    Participant
    @anonymous

@tool 126149 wrote:

I would expect at least a appointment if I paid a deposit even if it was two years away

I would also, but if I wanted to get inked by a particular artist badly enough, I’d just grin and bear it.

Wardy
    Participant
    @wardy

Still waiting on a name..

walmartwolverine
    Participant
    @walmartwolverine

Thats pretty much it.. grin and bear it. This artist is the only one I want to the work so I guess I just wait until I get the call. @Wardy I stated I wasn’t saying the artist name the first time and if my 2 years olds nagging doesn’t produce results I doubt yours will either.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.