scooterman
    Participant
    @scooterman

Here is a sketch for my first tattoo. It’s a music themed idea with a tribal feel. Any tweaking ideas or other thoughts? Central ideas is the drum set, with a treble clef above. It’s my first tattoo and placement will be upper arm.

Thanks for the input!

http://mhjt2013.tumblr.com/image/46841800488

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

@scooterman 125501 wrote:

Any tweaking ideas or other thoughts?

Yes don’t do it!!! you will regret it and that will be a mofo to cover up.

tumblr_mkkshdOHmi1sn5803o1_1280.jpg

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

It’s a little cacophonous for my tastes. When I get a tattoo, I always ask myself, “How will I like this in a decade? Or four of them? Will this age well with minor touch-ups?”

I’m not sure this tattoo has you “thinking forward” much at all. I’m of the opinion tribal tattoos are for tribal people, or people who are special to that tribe. That’s why even though I love Sak Yant, as a woman, I can never have real Sak Yant, and why get a cheap imitation? It’s like embedding a big piece of plastic that’s supposed to look like a diamond in your arm that doesn’t come out without painful surgery. However, that’s just an opinion.

Belonging to the “tribe” of musicians is the theme I’m getting here, and it’s a fine theme. However, it’s one you need to take up with an artist. You’re on the right track.

How about an arpeggio tattoo? Says, “I’m a crazy sucker who marches to the beat of my own drum,” but no one, save musicians will grasp this.

gnarfo14
    Participant
    @gnarfo14

Being a musician and a percussionist I can certainly dig this, although I think the tribal thing is overdone. I agree that a good artist can help you come up with something that you both will love for a lifetime.

On a side note (no pun intended), I love the way the treble clef is incorporated into the tribal pattern. Clever.

Did you design this? Maybe a good idea would be to make a finished version of it and frame it. That way if you outgrow it you could always take it down and store it. Or maybe even get it screened onto your front bass drum head. Not cheap, but you can change it out when/if you tire of it.

With all that being said, if you like it go for it. Screw the rest of us!

Thaela
    Participant
    @thaela

The tribal aspects just don’t work at all. I can see the reason behind wanting the drum set and the music, but what’s the point of the tribal? If it wasn’t for that, it would be a lot better.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

First off loose the tribal. How about a few bars of real music? Something meaningful to you perhaps?

Bon Jovi’s “Shot Through the Heart” pops into mind.

Keep us posted.

scooterman
    Participant
    @scooterman

Thanks for the input. An artist drew it up for me. I told him drums/music, black and grey, 4-5 inches upper arm. I didn’t request tribal but I didn’t want to discard it just because tribal is not the trend right now. I did send him the image of the drums which had a tribal feel. I guess he just ran with that.

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

It is not just that tribal is so outdated, but this is a very bad example as well. They put “breaks” in where they didn’t need to, like that branch pointing right, below the drums, it should be attached. The main piece at the bottom has a weird break in the middle of it for no reason. The branch on the upper left above the drums just starts from nothing and isn’t coming from another piece at all. It really is a mess.

But the one that really bothers me: WTF is the pointy thing attached to the leftmost drum???? Makes it look like a cartoon caption that the words aren’t in yet.

Other than that, the only part I do like is the drums – but YOU gave him that part. I don’t hate the music part.

Send him back to the drawing board. Or you will be back here asking how to cover it up or where to get lasered.

Good luck.

Wardy
    Participant
    @wardy

It’s horrific, if music is the genre there is such cool as fuck stuff you could choose from find a tattooist who has some passion for music for example, the 2 artists in the studio i use there is 2 guitar’s that are in the studio with a amp etc and they always play a bit before there next appointment shows. Find a artist with a passion for music and discuss some of there idea’s and let them work there magic.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

Agree with the rest, forget the tribal shite and do a music tattoo, with art, pictures and great ideas!

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Think out of the box a little and get a fucking kick ass tattoo

74eb1657321209261b76f15f6d76404f.jpg

guitar+tattoo+sleeve.jpg

Guitar%20Tattoo%20Design3.jpg

music-drums-tattoo.jpg

saxplayer-G.jpg

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.