Bribrihate
    Participant
    @bribrihate

I’ve been planning this tattoo for a long time. I’ve wanted it for at least 5 years, but just recently this year started seriously looking for artists to do it for me. I’m hoping for something similar in style to this. Google Image Result for http://flashyourtattoo.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/jack-frank-199×300.jpg

I e-mailed Black 13 and asked how much it would could for Steve Martin to do that on me, and instead of telling me flat how much he’d do it for, they gave me his hourly price (150). I e-mailed back and asked how many hours it would take to complete, how many do you guys assume it’d be? She told he’d either start with a 1-6 PM timeslot, or an all day session depending on all long I felt comfortable sitting. That seemed odd to me because I figured 5 hours would be plenty of time to finish it. Also found it weird they didn’t just tell me roughly how much it’d cost.

Also got an estimate from Pete Carreno from Great American Tattoo company, and he told me $500, which would end up being way cheaper than what I’d pay at Black 13, but I’m not stoked on some of Pete’s portraits. His Grandpa Munster shown here, is awesome. https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/s480x480/199501_160004574138199_1735327739_n.jpg , but this MLK is very bleh IMO http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/316125_10150277950034779_3553470_n.jpg

Perhaps the MLK portrait is earlier work? My buddy who is an aspiring tattoo artist thinks the first guy just found a better picture, but that can’t be why is looks so much better.

So in closing, which artist should I pick to do the job? I want it to look amazing. Also, in your estimate, how many hours would that tattoo take to get?

Wardy
    Participant
    @wardy

ask the tattoo artist your planning to use.

Bribrihate
    Participant
    @bribrihate

Wow great feedback….

I’ve since gotten another email, they said its hard to tell how long it’ll take. All she said was the max price on it would be 900

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

I’m glad you have followed the advice of seeking out the better artists.
    Every artist works at different speeds but I would say on average it would be about 5 hours. Bob Tyrell would take about 10 hours to do it compared to someone fat like Iker Ruiz that it would be about 2 hours.

Bribrihate
    Participant
    @bribrihate

@buttwheat 123804 wrote:

I’m glad you have followed the advice of seeking out the better artists.
    Every artist works at different speeds but I would say on average it would be about 5 hours. Bob Tyrell would take about 10 hours to do it compared to someone fat like Iker Ruiz that it would be about 2 hours.

Why would the artists weight affect the tattooing time?

Amok
    Participant
    @amok

@Bribrihate 123805 wrote:

Why would the artists weight affect the tattooing time?

HAHAHA. He meant fast, not fat. Typo.

One piece of advice I have learned is not to skimp on price when it comes to a tattoo. It’s going to last longer than most material items you will ever own. And $150 per hour is a good price for a good artist. Here in Australia it’s usually $200+ per hour for someone with talent. I think buttwheat is right, on average it would be 5-6 hours, but it really depends on the artist.

I don’t know of Steve Martin but I checked out his portfolio and he’s good. Although I do prefer his colour work to his B & G.

Just go to the best artist you can and ignore the price (save up if you can’t afford it right now). Good tattoos aren’t cheap and cheap tattoos aren’t good 🙂

Hope this helps.

Bribrihate
    Participant
    @bribrihate

Butt, you’re familiar with both artists, who do you think would do a better job, Pete or Steve?

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Yes I meany fast not fat butt Iker is plenty fat..

I would go with Bob Tyrell but since that isn’t likely I would go with which of the two artist that feel more pumped to do that tattoo for you. I would much rather go to someone that really wants to do my tattoo then someone who is just making a buck off of it.

Bribrihate
    Participant
    @bribrihate

@buttwheat 123822 wrote:

Yes I meany fast not fat butt Iker is plenty fat..

I would go with Bob Tyrell but since that isn’t likely I would go with which of the two artist that feel more pumped to do that tattoo for you. I would much rather go to someone that really wants to do my tattoo then someone who is just making a buck off of it.

I can’t really tell who is more pumped to do it since I haven’t met either of them personally. Just talked to Pete on Facebook, and Steve I haven’t even spoke to, just Brittany who answers emails for B13. How do I find out which is more excited to do it? Also, just based on everything you’ve seen from both artists, who do you think would do a better job, Butt?

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Go with Pete he will smoke that.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.