atarikid
    Participant
    @atarikid

Right, I’m not sure if this is the right area to post this in, if it isn’t ill move it to the right thread.

Anyway

When applying for an apprenticeship, Im guessing should be taken like applying for any professional role, my question is though, would you set out a covering letter to a studio the same way that would a retailers for example.

You know –

Dear Mr Shop Owner/Head Artist

I am writing to you to send interest in any apprentice placements/shop floor vacanices. blah blah blah

attached is my CV and portfolio. blah blah blah

this is why i want the job, blah blah blah.

this is why im your best candidate, blah blah blah.

sincerely blah.

or is it just better without one? Im sure if one were to go to a studio with a cv and cover letter as well as a portfolio one would be remembered as the person who came prepared, or am i just over thinking this?

quick replies would be wonderful as im currently writing one out to pop into local shops tomorrow. Just want to know if it is worth my time to write them out.

thanks =)

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

I know nothing about this subject but I know what I would do. I would go to each shop myself if possible.

atarikid
    Participant
    @atarikid

@peterpoose 123584 wrote:

I know nothing about this subject but I know what I would do. I would go to each shop myself if possible.

Yes I do that, there’s a few nearby i have not tried yet and all of the others ive just went in myself with my folio. Never really a CV or covering letter….

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

One thing I’ve learned over the years is that the shorter you keep your resume the more people will look at it.
    You need only:
    The job / position you’re applying for.
    Your personal information (Name, address,etc.)
    Your education history. (schools, accomplishments)
    Your past and present employment history. (company names, addresses,phone numbers and your position)
    Personal references.(with phone numbers)
    Keep it short. And deliver it personally.
    Good luck, keep us posted.

atarikid
    Participant
    @atarikid

yeah all that is listed on my Resume already, I’ll transcribe what ive written so far for a covering letter to a specific shop –

Dear Mr . -shop owners name-

My name is -My real name here- and I am contacting you today to show an interest in any apprenticeship placements or front of shop staff vacancies you may have open in the near future.

Your details were passed onto me by -Other owner- of -Tattoo shop- in -My home town- after I questioned him about an apprenticeship. He informed me of your name and shop after viewing my portfolio, he mentioned you had recently opened your business and that you two are on good standing and I have since been watching your shops Facebook page and I would like to applaud you for such raw artistic talent.

My love for body modifications came at a young age, seeing my ‘punk-rock’ mothers tattooed and pierced friends and they would tell me storied of how they came to be and I was instantly hooked. I started drawing felt tip tattoos on my friends and charging 10p an image when I was 8. Since then I have educated myself in many of the different styles and artists throughout the industry, now at the age of 24 I wish to start my career as a tattoo artist.

I have worked prior in two well known tattoo studios, one during my high school work experience where for four weeks I helped front of shop in -Name of tattoo studio- which is a well reputed and loved studio in -town- whereas my peers were working in the likes of schools and libraries, I knew even at such a young age my calling was here. The second and most recent studio I worked for was -Studio Name- again a well known and respected studio in -town- where I worked as Saturday front of shop staff, dealing with booking and assisting customers with pricing, placement and aftercare, as well as using sterilization equipment and the general housekeeping of the shop for 9 months, until financial restrictions meant the shop going into new hands.

—-

And that’s all I have so far.

Original six
    Participant
    @original-six

im no expert at all on somthing like this but surely thed be more intrested in a portfolio rather than a cv…. like i said tho i have no clue lol
    letting them no you have experience in other shops wouldnt hurt though, i guess

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

I would say yes if they have a professional non tattooing manager. If they don’t and you are dealing with the owner/artist then no.

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

You gata remember most tattoo shops arent that formal. I dont think youd have much luck sending letters to shops.
    Besides if you dont know the artist why would you want to apprentice for them?
    You dont apprentice for a shop. Youre the padawan of an individual artist.
    Sending out resumes to tattoo shops for an apprenticeship just seems like a waste of time to me.
    But im nobody. If it feels right, do it.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@atarikid 123587 wrote:

yeah all that is listed on my Resume already,

And that’s all I have so far.

That is way too much! Hand them the BRIEF resume and TALK to them!

Good luck!

BertNaked
    Participant
    @bertnaked

Hopefully you’re good at drawing. Have a solid portfolio with you at all times.

Walk in a shop (that you like, and got some standards) and tell them that you’re interested in apprenticeship
    Speak with the owner, and hopefully he’ll like you.

The only paperthingie you’ll need is something with your name, number and email scribled down.

(source for this is that my GF applied at some shops few years ago. They didnt ask for any resumes or any of that corporate-stuff.)

atarikid
    Participant
    @atarikid

yeah see, ive done this shit for years and gotten no-where, the parlors Im trying for (even the pretty shit ones) wont even look at a folio, let alone talk to people about jobs.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@atarikid 123610 wrote:

yeah see, ive done this shit for years and gotten no-where, the parlors Im trying for (even the pretty shit ones) wont even look at a folio, let alone talk to people about jobs.

You may have to widen your search.
    Take your portfolio on a road trip for a few days.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.