guitarguy1
    Participant
    @guitarguy1

Howdy folks, Im looking for different designs for the machines. Any plans you have and feel like sharing are greatly appreciated.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Are you talking tattoo machine or guitar machine?
    Are you an apprentice tattoo artist?

guitarguy1
    Participant
    @guitarguy1

@Sam-I-Am 123397 wrote:

Are you talking tattoo machine or guitar machine?
    Are you an apprentice tattoo artist?

Tattoo. Im looking to improve, and the next step is playing with tattooing fruit. I want to build my own machine as I have a full metal working shop in my home, and I after looking at the kits I believe that I can build a higher quality machine then I can buy at the price Id be comfortable paying for a learning tool.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Please read the thread “So you want to be a tattoo artist” in the forum “general tattoo questions” it will be very helpful.
    I have been puzzled by the number of tattoo machines that utilize a fucking rubber band to keep them working properly.
    The kits are SHIT. Ebay sells them by the hundreds.
    My artist uses rotary machines for the most part and I’m happy with the results.
    Before you tattoo self taught, get an apprenticeship and become a genuine tattoo artist. Not a scratcher!
    Keep us posted and send lots of photos!

guitarguy1
    Participant
    @guitarguy1

@Sam-I-Am 123399 wrote:

Please read the thread “So you want to be a tattoo artist” in the forum “general tattoo questions” it will be very helpful.
    I have been puzzled by the number of tattoo machines that utilize a fucking rubber band to keep them working properly.
    The kits are SHIT. Ebay sells them by the hundreds.
    My artist uses rotary machines for the most part and I’m happy with the results.
    Before you tattoo self taught, get an apprenticeship and become a genuine tattoo artist. Not a scratcher!
    Keep us posted and send lots of photos!

As you implied, Im not looking for this to be amateur hour, and I fully recognize the legal and professional ramifications of “scratching”. I am simply looking to expand my ability to create art, as I am certain my younger cousins would greatly enjoy receiving a hollow fruit with designs inked all over it and then clear coated to last as long as possible.

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

No tattoo artist worth his salt will want to take you on as an apprentice if you start building your own bad habits with a machine. It is far more difficult to unteach the nonsense people teach themselves than teach them the right way. A tattoo machine is not just another way to advance your art, like a new kind of pencil or paint.

guitarguy1
    Participant
    @guitarguy1

@ArniVidar 123401 wrote:

No tattoo artist worth his salt will want to take you on as an apprentice if you start building your own bad habits with a machine. It is far more difficult to unteach the nonsense people teach themselves than teach them the right way. A tattoo machine is not just another way to advance your art, like a new kind of pencil or paint.

I already have a profession, and I have no interest in adding tattooing to my repertoire. On top of that, there are no shops around here that do apprenticeships. I am not looking for the moral and legal justifications for restricting information, I am simply looking for the information I require to create art. Why is it that no one is willing to post pics of machines disassembled or a diagram of one?

guitarguy1
    Participant
    @guitarguy1

I would also like to point out that the fact I am building one out of raw materials and machining a highly accurate machine shows that I am doing this for quality and precision. I am building this because I can, not because I want one to make money. I have a window up right now on youtube, watching a fella try to explain how to make a cheap “gun” as he continues to refer to it as. I am not looking for people to tell me it’s illegal, because it isnt. It’s against the law in some places to put one on someone, thats true, but theres nothing illegal about owning and practicing with your own. I dont want to spend 150 for a cheap as hell kit from Element that will fall apart the first time I hit the foot pedal. I am wanting to build a high quality steel framed machine which I can show and be proud of at metal working shows. If I am successful I will be making three machines in total. Thin, thick, and shader. All for playing with fruit and false skin. I want to build them so I can say Ive done it. However, I do not want them so I can start charging 15 bucks a scratch around here. That I am looking to build quality should be a sign that I am not after the ink pen and needle that I could have already done and not bothered you folks with anything. But thats not what Im wanting to do with my time. I want something to come out that I can be proud of. So would someone please help me out here?

**Video removed**

This is the cheap crap that I have no interest in building. However, I could build one following this guys advice. But it is not what I want to do as it looks horrible and cheap and I cannot stand it.

Panter
    Participant
    @panter

There’s a scratcher forum out there that should be able to help you. Sorry, don’t know the name of it but Google should reveal all (I know you say you’re not planning to scratch but I doubt there are many people out there interested in building top-line machines to tattoo apples which won’t help with the lack of responses)

guitarguy1
    Participant
    @guitarguy1

You people are unbelievable.

Tell me why you refuse to explain how they are made? Isnt that what forums are for, sharing information and ideas?

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@guitarguy1 123411 wrote:

You people are unbelievable.

Tell me why you refuse to explain how they are made? Isnt that what forums are for, sharing information and ideas?

I’ve seen people get banned from this forum for asking questions about purchasing tattoo equipment and supplies for their own use. Most people here stand behind the time honored system of apprentice and mentor working in a professional shop environment.
    Anything less than that is a threat to the tattoo industry. If I get a fucking lousy tattoo from my neighbor in his kitchen it casts a dark shadow on tattoos as a whole.
    I think your days in this forum are numbered.
    Machinist is a fantastic occupation or hobby, (I do blacksmithing as a side job) Perhaps you should manufacture firearms.

guitarguy1
    Participant
    @guitarguy1

@Sam-I-Am 123412 wrote:

I’ve seen people get banned from this forum for asking questions about purchasing tattoo equipment and supplies for their own use. Most people here stand behind the time honored system of apprentice and mentor working in a professional shop environment.
    Anything less than that is a threat to the tattoo industry. If I get a fucking lousy tattoo from my neighbor in his kitchen it casts a dark shadow on tattoos as a whole.
    I think your days in this forum are numbered.
    Machinist is a fantastic occupation or hobby, (I do blacksmithing as a side job) Perhaps you should manufacture firearms.

My real job actually is gunsmithing, thats why I have a full shop along with blue tanks and the whole 9 yards. The fact that I am doing this as a hobby and for fun and not as a profession seems to slip by you people. If someone like me is a threat to your profession then I truly feel sorry for you people, as that means youre even more harassed and subjugated then those in my line of work are. I mean, jesus, on some of the gun forums Im on we help each other. If someone asks how to do something we help them along. I dont believe that the restriction of information is anywhere near the proper response to new comers, especially if youre all as persecuted as you pretend to be. All that does is make me not want to ever set foot in another tattoo shop. Congrats to that, please ban me if I offend you over talking about not wanting to buy a kit for $150.00 from Element Tattoo Supply, and wishing instead to build my own.

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

Fair enough. If you don’t plan on taking up tattooing people, that is just fine, and your desire to make quality tattoo machinery is admirable. I have no doubt that your gunsmith skills mean that you will be able to do some amazing work with the machines.

However, this forum does not allow the sharing of information that helps scratchers in any way, and regardless of your intentions with the information, any information given would be breaking the forum’s rules. Sorry.

This is why nobody will answer your rather simple question. Nobody wants to get banned. ๐Ÿ™‚

guitarguy1
    Participant
    @guitarguy1

@ArniVidar 123416 wrote:

Fair enough. If you don’t plan on taking up tattooing people, that is just fine, and your desire to make quality tattoo machinery is admirable. I have no doubt that your gunsmith skills mean that you will be able to do some amazing work with the machines.

However, this forum does not allow the sharing of information that helps scratchers in any way, and regardless of your intentions with the information, any information given would be breaking the forum’s rules. Sorry.

This is why nobody will answer your rather simple question. Nobody wants to get banned. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you for the answer, thats all I needed to know

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

You’re quite welcome.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.