Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Some time ago I had a reaction to a purple ink. I don’t recall the brand. The artist said that that was the only ink he had of that brand. He uses EternalInk almost exclusively. No other problems until last Tuesday. I developed a rash or hives, and my leg is still swollen on Sunday.
    I’m taking Advil (ibuprofin) for the swelling, and using cold packs. I’m moisturizing with Lubriderm.

Ever hear of being alergic to a color? (purple was used on Tuesday)

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@Sam-I-Am 122942 wrote:

Some time ago I had a reaction to a purple ink. I don’t recall the brand. The artist said that that was the only ink he had of that brand. He uses EternalInk almost exclusively. No other problems until last Tuesday. I developed a rash or hives, and my leg is still swollen on Sunday.
    I’m taking Advil (ibuprofin) for the swelling, and using cold packs. I’m moisturizing with Lubriderm.

I think I have read somewhere that you can react to certain colours but not sure how true that is.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Take a benadryl

anonymous
    Participant
    @anonymous

@Sam-I-Am 122942 wrote:

Absolutely. Allergic reactions are fairly uncommon, but they happen. Certain colors (red, purple) are more prone to elicit an allergic reaction than others. At this point it may improve or it may get much, much worse. It may go away once it heals or it may persist for the rest of your life. Keep us updated.

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

My body doesnt like red very much. But ive never had a full blown allergic reaction. Hopefully it wont persist for the rest of your life.
    +1 to benadryl.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Thanks Jerry,
    I handle red very well.
    I’ll keep you posted.

(I’m 56 years old. How many years is it really going to be a problem? (LOL)

anonymous
    Participant
    @anonymous

@Sam-I-Am 122983 wrote:

Thanks Jerry,
    I handle red very well.
    I’ll keep you posted.

(I’m 56 years old. How many years is it really going to be a problem? (LOL)

My vet just passed away on Friday at age 58 after a massive heart attack. My wife’s grandma lived to be 98. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary). 😀

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@D3FiANC3 122986 wrote:

My vet just passed away on Friday at age 58 after a massive heart attack. My wife’s grandma lived to be 98. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary). 😀

I’ll try to keep a happy thought!

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

This is two weeks since my last session.
    My leg was swollen from just below the knee to my toes. It was bright red. My family doctor tested blood for sugar level (turned out to be fine) He gave me antibiotics. I did take Benadryl and Advil (ibuprophin) Tattoo artist confirmed that no new colors were used that hadden’t been used before.
    Today the color is back to normal and though still swollen, it is much better than it was.
    I think it was just too much stress for a small area. Next tattoo appointment is in two weeks.

anonymous
    Participant
    @anonymous

@Sam-I-Am 123473 wrote:

This is two weeks since my last session.
    My leg was swollen from just below the knee to my toes. It was bright red. My family doctor tested blood for sugar level (turned out to be fine) He gave me antibiotics. I did take Benadryl and Advil (ibuprophin) Tattoo artist confirmed that no new colors were used that hadden’t been used before.
    Today the color is back to normal and though still swollen, it is much better than it was.
    I think it was just too much stress for a small area. Next tattoo appointment is in two weeks.

If your leg is still swollen by your next appointment, it would be wise to cancel it. Also, why the antibiotics? Was it infected?

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@D3FiANC3 123477 wrote:

If your leg is still swollen by your next appointment, it would be wise to cancel it. Also, why the antibiotics? Was it infected?

My doctor suspected an infection and the antibiotics were a result of that. As it turned out there was no infection evident. The swelling should be totally gone in a few days. (It’s almost back to normal now) The next session won’t involve major work. It’ll be some detailing and smaller items.
    Thanks for the input.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Wednesday morning, 2/6/13, 15 days after the last session, the swelling was gone. The color is back to normal as well. I’ve been mixing a few drops of Tea Tree Oil in with Cetaphil lotion and using it a few times a day. It looks pretty good.
    Now the itching is starting.

I’ll be consolidating and adding pictures to my albums shortly.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Tuesday evening 2/19/13. Had a two hour session. Work was done on the top of my foot and some related details and touch ups.

NO swelling. The same color inks were used in smaller quantities to test their intregrity. The last session involved tattooing on the ball of my ankle. As that work progressed Anthony sensed my discomfort and asked if I wanted to use a “numbing agent”. I agreed. It wasn’t worth it in my opinion, and it turns out that I was alergic to it.

Check out my latest album. I will consolidate albums in the next few days.

Pinklace
    Participant
    @pinklace

56 isn’t old your making out ya on ya last breath haha.
    Least its sorted now. I never new u could react to a certen colour that’s mad.
    Spose it’s like a certon brand of hair die init

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat
    Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.