Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

The recent thread about pain from shading brought up a question I’ve had.

My current artist uses mostly rotary machines. He seems to have a lighter hand than past tattooers. Is this a coincidence? Are rotary machines smoother and thus less painful? They are more quiet.

The shop (717 tattoo, Harrisburg, PA) is a chain of four shops owned by a tattoo supply and manufacturing co. (they manufacture rotary machines, and tattoo shop furniture, etc.)

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

I have had my most painful tattoo (by Fat) and least painful tattoo (by Josh Woods) done by rotary machines both done on the lower legs. I miss the sound of the machine so you know it’s coming.

dardy
    Participant
    @dardy

I am currently using the cheyenne hawk thunder it’s a powerful machine with a long throw on it my clients say its much easier on them but I believe it’s a lot down to your artist we all work in different ways some heavy handed and like to make sure it’s in there first pass some like to layer it in I’ve seen some amazing work with coils by artists as well as with rotaries

yodaddynukka
    Participant
    @yodaddynukka

gogue used the hawk thunder on me and he was super stoked with it. he said its the smoothest machine he used and works so fast. there isnt a different between rotaries vs coils in terms of pain, however.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.