metalmancpa
    Participant
    @metalmancpa

Surprisingly, after seeing my new work, my wife looked at my eagle and said it needed more, the surprise being her asking me to get more tattoo work done.

That being said, and thinking of tattoo ettiquette, I have three choices on how to proceed – go to the original artist (will have one shot next summer when I go back to Hawaii), go to Gunnar, find a new artist. I realize it’s my choice, but just curious in which direction you would go.

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

Well, that really depends on what you want to do with it. Right now, it’s just a fine piece. It’s not gonna win any awards, but it’s far from being actually BAD.

If you want to add to it in the same caliber of ‘fine’, you can go to the same artist.
    If not, you need to treat it as a cover-up, and you need a spectacularly good cover-up artist to transform it into something great.

metalmancpa
    Participant
    @metalmancpa

If you want to add to it in the same caliber of ‘fine’, you can go to the same artist.
    If not, you need to treat it as a cover-up, and you need a spectacularly good cover-up artist to transform it into something great.

Well, when the non-tattoo loving wife brought this up, in her eyes Gunnar’s piece pretty much crushes the eagle. And what she meant was size, color depth, detail, etc – meaning overall quality. The eagle itself is fine and I’m happy with it, so I would only add to it, not proceed with a cover-up mentality. So she nor I was thinking the eagle is now bad, but it certainly is overmatched.

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

Well, anything you get from the original artist is going to look just as weak with regards to color depth, detail, etc. You can make it bigger, for sure, but the rest won’t change.

metalmancpa
    Participant
    @metalmancpa

@ArniVidar 119577 wrote:

Well, anything you get from the original artist is going to look just as weak with regards to color depth, detail, etc. You can make it bigger, for sure, but the rest won’t change.

So my initial thought of new artist is seeming like the way to go, and one of the reasons being just what you mentioned.

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

Well, you can’t have it both ways. Either you get it all fixed up (which would be a cover-up, and would require an extremely good artist) or you stick with the old one 😀

metalmancpa
    Participant
    @metalmancpa

@ArniVidar 119581 wrote:

Well, you can’t have it both ways. Either you get it all fixed up (which would be a cover-up, and would require an extremely good artist) or you stick with the old one 😀

I guess that journey is beginning then to see where this goes. You get one, then two, then want to play with the first one. All of those “once you get one you’re hooked” comments mean something now. Damn.

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

@metalmancpa 119584 wrote:

I guess that journey is beginning then to see where this goes. You get one, then two, then want to play with the first one. All of those “once you get one you’re hooked” comments mean something now. Damn.

LOL! That’s honestly the only “I told you so!” line we LIKE telling people 😀

I’m lucky though. Seeing as I’m flat silly broke and tattoos here cost bazillions, I am automatically saved from being stuck in that infinite loop 🙂

metalmancpa
    Participant
    @metalmancpa

@ArniVidar 119586 wrote:

LOL! That’s honestly the only “I told you so!” line we LIKE telling people 😀

I’m lucky though. Seeing as I’m flat silly broke and tattoos here cost bazillions, I am automatically saved from being stuck in that infinite loop 🙂

Took Step #1. Emailed Russ Abbott who will be guesting next July at Off The Map only 2 hours from me.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Sounds like a plan. Good luck!

In the meantime enter a room with your left shoulder first. People will be impressed. If they see the eagle on your way out, who gives a fuck, you’re on your way out!

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

@Sam-I-Am 119595 wrote:

In the meantime enter a room with your left shoulder first. People will be impressed. If they see the eagle on your way out, who gives a fuck, you’re on your way out!

ROFL! Brilliant 😀

BertNaked
    Participant
    @bertnaked

I would definitive add clouds, thunder and fire to it.

On a more serious note, if you liked what the original artist did, and you aslo think he’s creative enough, you should go for him.
    Reason for meaning that is that in my case, I won’t go back to my first artist, because he had no imagination at all… He didnt really know where he was going with the piece,
    so that was a dealbreaker to me.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Bert,
    Had I not stumbled onto this forum, I would be in the same (sinking) boat.

(of course I still think you can all go fuck yourselves…LOL)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.