#39676
metalmancpa
Participant
@metalmancpa

Aside from “cash is king” for tipping (and I’m a good tipper), if I also wanted to bring something noncash, would you somehow find out what the artist likes or just wing it with something you think is cool? I’ve searched the forum and seen suggestions like booze or weed, but I have no idea if Gunnar smokes or what he likes to drink. This upcoming tattoo is important to me and I want to show my appreciation to Gunnar beyond a customary % cash tip.

#130532
mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

I have done it before, but I would get something he likes, someone in his shop will tell

#130540
buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

See my post on other forum ๐Ÿ™‚

#130541
DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

I’ve been tattooing this retired middle school teacher for about 9 months now. She was my first repeat client that wasn’t a friend before I began tattooing. I gave her her first tattoo. She’s got ten of them now. Anyway, yesterday she was complaining about how uncomfortable her chair was while I was tattooing her. I told her I was saving up for one of the really nice Tatsoul client chairs, but they’re really expensive. After we were finished up I bandaged her, charged her $60 and sent her on her way. She came back ten minutes later and handed me a check for $850. In the notes section she had written “new chair”. That lady is never paying for a tattoo again.

#130542
peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose
DavidJednat;117482 wrote:
I’ve been tattooing this retired middle school teacher for about 9 months now. She was my first repeat client that wasn’t a friend before I began tattooing. I gave her her first tattoo. She’s got ten of them now. Anyway, yesterday she was complaining about how uncomfortable her chair was while I was tattooing her. I told her I was saving up for one of the really nice Tatsoul client chairs, but they’re really expensive. After we were finished up I bandaged her, charged her $60 and sent her on her way. She came back ten minutes later and handed me a check for $850. In the notes section she had written “new chair”. That lady is never paying for a tattoo again.

Thats so awesome!

I got a original piece of art done for them by a street artists friend of mine on canvas, not sure if they liked them but I thought it was nicer than just giving cash ๐Ÿ™‚

#130514
ArniVidar
Moderator
@arnividar
DavidJednat;117482 wrote:
She came back ten minutes later and handed me a check for $850. In the notes section she had written “new chair”. That lady is never paying for a tattoo again.

That’s just awesome, but are you sure you’d be willing to cover her in ink for $850? ๐Ÿ˜€

#130526
DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

It’s not just $850. It’s the fact that she was kind enough to get me a tool that will help me every day in my job. I tattoo lots of other people for money every day. That’s the nice thing about money; you can always make more. I can afford to give away a few tattoos for her.

#130527
DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat
metalmancpa;117459 wrote:
Aside from “cash is king” for tipping (and I’m a good tipper), if I also wanted to bring something noncash, would you somehow find out what the artist likes or just wing it with something you think is cool? I’ve searched the forum and seen suggestions like booze or weed, but I have no idea if Gunnar smokes or what he likes to drink. This upcoming tattoo is important to me and I want to show my appreciation to Gunnar beyond a customary % cash tip.

I know Gunnar has been really into oil painting lately. Maybe you could go to a high end art supply store and get him a nice set of paint brushes or a travel easel.

I really enjoy books. The more obscure reference book, the better.

#130557
ArniVidar
Moderator
@arnividar
DavidJednat;117505 wrote:
It’s not just $850. It’s the fact that she was kind enough to get me a tool that will help me every day in my job.

I know ๐Ÿ™‚ This is a priceless gift. And the chair might actually even bring you more repeats, especially if more people think your chair is super uncomfortable and decide not to come back because of that.

#130600
TattooLioness
Participant
@tattoolioness

My ink artist and piercer both like baked goods.

And I love to bake. Even when I am not getting work done I take them seasonal (holiday) items.

Cupcakes, cakes, cookies, cobbler, pies. Fresh fruit baskets, etc.

Everyone loves food.

#130619
KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

It’s like DavidJednat said man, it’s not just the money, it’s the appreciation. We can’t tell you want’d be awesome, we don’t know the dude. Don’t stress, just realize it’s about sayin “Hey, you’re awesome”.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

#130626
gobeavers
Participant
@gobeavers

On the tip subject..I’ve got an appointment with Remis (from Ireland) at an Oregon tattoo shop. I went to Oregon State University and was thinking of bringing him an OSU t-shirt to take home (no idea what size he wears though), you think that would be a legit tip? Also, never done something like that before, would you just walk in and give it to him first?

#130636
buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
gobeavers;117592 wrote:
On the tip subject..I’ve got an appointment with Remis (from Ireland) at an Oregon tattoo shop. I went to Oregon State University and was thinking of bringing him an OSU t-shirt to take home (no idea what size he wears though), you think that would be a legit tip? Also, never done something like that before, would you just walk in and give it to him first?

Look at pics of him on his web site or facebook then make your best guess. You could give it to him at any time.
I would wait a bit like after the tattoo but before the money part.

#130644
gobeavers
Participant
@gobeavers

cool thanks

#131521
Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

With the time spent with your artist you should be able to get a clue as to what would be a nice gift.
You can’t go wrong with cash, but something in addition would be more personal especially if you are a repeat customer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.