jerryatrophy
Participant
@jerryatrophy

A guy I work with just got his first tattoo. An eagle and American flag on his left shoulder cap. He just came in with it one day. Turns out he got it at the shop I go to. By another artist. Full color, 5 hour session. So me being a tattoo guy i ask him to show me. Its not the greatest in the world but the stars look like they should and the traditional eagle is dark with bold outlines. I thought it looked pretty good. Well about a week later I ask him hows it healing? All excited he pulls up his sleeve and shows me. Omg the horror. The eagles head and the star section look like road rash. I couldn’t help it I made a oh shit face. He saw me and asked me what. I asked him what he’s using to take care of it, he told me he didn’t know. Then he asked me, you think I’m going to need to have it touched up. Now I’m not a total ahole so I just said yeah they do free touch ups. While knowing full and well that they’re going to give him the hardest time for not taking care of it. I really feel bad.
Please if you know someone isn’t taking care of their ink let them know. I wish i had asked to see it every night and maybe it wouldn’t look like a Grizzle stick. I feel really bad for him. And he doesn’t even know anythings wrong. I told him what he needed to do to minimize damage but the damage is done. 🙁

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

Live and learn I suppose.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

its funny people will research the shit out of a car purchase, cell phone purchase, tablet, laptop, hell eveb a gas grill
but they dont do any for permenantly marking their body……………they will wak into a shop and let a total stranger mark them forever and they wont learn a thing about aftercare, wont even listen to shops recommendations, in one ear and out the other………………………….live and learn I guess, Ill never understand it

jerryatrophy
Participant
@jerryatrophy

Same vguy tonight came up to me and asked for some lotion. Of course I let him have some.He pulls his shirt off and the color wash looks so consistent that if i didn’t know better I’d think it was some new style. He might be a picker. Anyways we get to talking and he tells me he booked another appt with the same guy to round out the sleeve on his inside bicep. This is the kicker, to continue his patriotic theme he told me he wants “mount Rushmore” I’m flabbergasted by this point. I asked him “you want a mountain with 4 portraits of old presidents? Really? He was very enthusiastic. I’m not the type of guy to just tell people they’re f#$king up unless they ask me. But I might have to try and talk him out of it. I’m starting to question this guys thought processes.
Any suggestions?

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

you have to be real careful, some people have put alot of thought into what seems like a crazy idea,
they can really get their feelings hurt,

I see alot of what I think (just my 2 cents now, dont kill the messenger) are dumb,
peoples names,
states,
bands, lyrics (god thats fucking stupid)

I think tattoos are pretty deep, they say alot about me, things you cannot see, the deepest parts of me,
on the outside it may not make sense to anyone else, so its hard to judge what a person gets, we dont know the whys…………………..

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
jerryatrophy;115750 wrote:
Anyways we get to talking and he tells me he booked another appt with the same guy to round out the sleeve on his inside bicep. This is the kicker, to continue his patriotic theme he told me he wants “mount Rushmore” I’m flabbergasted by this point. I asked him “you want a mountain with 4 portraits of old presidents? Really? He was very enthusiastic. I’m not the type of guy to just tell people they’re f#$king up unless they ask me. But I might have to try and talk him out of it. I’m starting to question this guys thought processes.
Any suggestions?

That’s definitely not something I would ever consider getting inked with, but it’s no different than someone getting inked with Lady Liberty or any other historical monument or figure. For that matter, it doesn’t seem much different than getting inked w/ a portrait of Albert Einstein or Abe Lincoln and I’ve seen tons of those in the portfolios of some of the world’s best artists. There’s no rational argument why a gypsy or panther is a good idea and Mount Rushmore is a bad one, so I say to each his/her own. As long as the work is well done, the rest is subjective.

jerryatrophy
Participant
@jerryatrophy

My problem isn’t with the subject. Its with the fact that he wants 4 portraits by someone who isn’t great in general. Let alone portraits. But your right its really none of my business. Who am I to say anything negative about another grown mans decisions about what is or isn’t a good tattoo or artist. If he asks my opinion ill tell him.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

I dont see how mt rushmore is going to fit on his arm…

Amok
Participant
@amok

Just show him some portraits from a very good artist, let the pictures do the talking. If he still wants to go with his guy, let him. People get the tattoos they deserve, I spose.

ArniVidar
@arnividar
jerryatrophy;115652 wrote:
I asked him what he’s using to take care of it, he told me he didn’t know.

So his artist didn’t give him any aftercare instructions? That’s not exactly the mark of a good tattoo artist/shop.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.