SweetBlasphemy
@

Hey everyone, if you believe that nobody should be turned down a job because of having tattoos or any other body modifications then please sign this petition. We’re trying to get as many people as possible. http://www.change.org/petitions/include-body-modification-in-equal-opportunity-employment

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

Let me preface this by saying that I am a tattoo artist. I believe that an employer has the right to refuse employment to a person who has willingly altered their own appearance permanently. Especially if that person has visible tattoos, piercings or implants on the face, head, neck, or hands that cannot be covered under normal circumstances. It’s not the employer’s fault that a potential employee has CHOSEN to modify their outward appearance in a way that is not in line with a company’s appearance and/or dress code.

Nobody is forcing people to tattoo hands, necks, or faces; so nobody should force employers to hire them. This isn’t the same as race, color, injury, or deformities.

The shop where I work doesn’t employ people with facial tattoos. We don’t hire them because we don’t want the average potential client to feel uncomfortable interacting with our staff. We won’t tattoo faces period. We also won’t tattoo hands or necks unless the client either already has them tattooed or is so covered that there isn’t anywhere else to tattoo.

When I have my own shop someday I don’t want someone telling me who I have to hire. Why would I want to hire someone who has a visible track record of making poor decisions?

Panter
Participant
@panter

I reserve the right to make what ever decision I see fit regarding job applicants.
That’s my job, to protect the shareholders interests, that’s what I’m paid to do so that’s what I do. Sorry.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
DavidJednat;112590 wrote:
Let me preface this by saying that I am a tattoo artist. I believe that an employer has the right to refuse employment to a person who has willingly altered their own appearance permanently. Especially if that person has visible tattoos, piercings or implants on the face, head, neck, or hands that cannot be covered under normal circumstances. It’s not the employer’s fault that a potential employee has CHOSEN to modify their outward appearance in a way that is not in line with a company’s appearance and/or dress code.

Nobody is forcing people to tattoo hands, necks, or faces; so nobody should force employers to hire them. This isn’t the same as race, color, injury, or deformities.

The shop where I work doesn’t employ people with facial tattoos. We don’t hire them because we don’t want the average potential client to feel uncomfortable interacting with our staff. We won’t tattoo faces period. We also won’t tattoo hands or necks unless the client either already has them tattooed or is so covered that there isn’t anywhere else to tattoo.

When I have my own shop someday I don’t want someone telling me who I have to hire. Why would I want to hire someone who has a visible track record of making poor decisions?

Panter;112594 wrote:
I reserve the right to make what ever decision I see fit regarding job applicants.
That’s my job, to protect the shareholders interests, that’s what I’m paid to do so that’s what I do. Sorry.

I agree with them. ^

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

yup, we choose to modify our bodies, employers have the right to protect shareholders,

whining is f’n gay

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

Wow, your replies really surprised me.

I thought you would all rally around make banners. posters and chain yourselves to some railings outside an embassy lol

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

we are non conformists, why would you expect society or worse yet, the business world to accept you as one of them,

I dont wear 244 hours of ink to be accepted, I wear it partly as a fuck you to them

Zorba
Participant
@zorba
peterpoose;112604 wrote:
Wow, your replies really surprised me.

I thought you would all rally around make banners. posters and chain yourselves to some railings outside an embassy lol

We’ve had this tired, old, discussion in another thread. These folks here are non-conforming conformists. Whatever. I agree with you – but the world isn’t going to change anytime soon. Especially when tattooed people have these attitudes.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
mrchen;112597 wrote:
yup, we choose to modify our bodies, employers have the right to protect shareholders,

whining is f’n gay

smiley_with_thumbs_up.gif

Zorba
Participant
@zorba

If people aren’t willing to take a stand against the unethical, nothing will change.

Hi D3FiANC3! *waves*

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

whats unethical…………we chose to modify our bodies, we have no right to expect any employer to acccept that

of course for my part, I dont care if they accept it or not, I would actually never expect them to understand us

Zaotar
Participant
@zaotar

No doubt. It’s pretty lame to be going on and on about freedom and individuality and then try to bust somebody’s arms with the law because they want to exercise their own freedom and individuality to disagree with you. I may love to wear some dumbass hat with lobster claws springing off the sides, but it’s even dumber for me to insist that a law should force other people to treat me no differently because I wear that hat every day. This isn’t an immutable personal characteristic we are talking about.

GrayCatLove
Participant
@graycatlove

If you want things to change, stop making petitions and crying.

Instead, be a paragon in your field, THEN get your more visible tattoos.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.